Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sk4910)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-23-2012, 8:10 AM Reply   
I have a fly high ballast bag and one of the ports is stripped. It there a way to fix this without having to replace the bag? I bought the boat used and apparently the previous owner tried to silicone the fitting into the stripped hole but it popped right out on me.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-23-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
What port and what do you mean stripped?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
Ya, not quite sure what you mean but if it's just the threads of the fitting you can try and use yellow teflon tape to thread back in. I had a couple that were loose and leaking and that's what I did. If its the actual fitting in the bag you may need contact wakemakers or flyhigh to see what can be done.....or buy a new bag.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-23-2012, 9:32 AM Reply   
Call FlyHigh,they will give you an RA# and will replace it for a small charge.I just sent a sac back and Mike Seipel (owner and barefoot legend) himself called me to let me know that mine was a factory defect and would be sending out a new replacement.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-23-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
You can fix anything. On a fat sack yourself! Go to a pool supply store and get doughboy pool vinyl patch works great and some 2 part epoxy and small PVC and do some glueing . Stuff the PVC in your hole glue it with a hose clamp then piece of garden hose with flu clamp and get a fitting and attach for your application it will be kinda ghetto but save you a couple hundred bucks! Word ! Glue I need glue , you'll need lots of glue! Lol
Old     (sk4910)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-25-2012, 8:20 AM Reply   
Thanks for your help. The threaded hole in the bag itself is actually stripped. By stripped, I mean the threads are almost completely gone from the bag. It is the drain hole on the bottom of the bag.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-25-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
The guys at Barefoot International are freaking awesome. No doubt about it.

Stephen. What fitting are you screwing into the bag? If you don't mind making it permanent, I'd just get some pvc cement, dope up the threads, and screw the fitting into the bag. It will be permanently in there, but unless you plan on capping that hole later, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-25-2012, 8:26 AM Reply   
Oh, and if anyone needs any extra 3/4 fly high fittings, hit me up. I've got 7 of the gray fittings that screw into the bags, a bunch of caps, and a bunch of those quick connect/disconnect black/red fittings.

I bought all that 3/4 stuff for my '12 plug n play system on my Axis, and the factory was kind enough to install the '13 upgraded high flow 1'' ballast system in my boat.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-25-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
Any rough idea what it costs to add extra ports? I am going to need a new sac, but I want to run multiple pumps for fill/drain. The only ones I see like this are the custom sacs and they are $$$.
Old     (sk4910)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-25-2012, 3:59 PM Reply   
Im not sure what kind of fitting it is. It came with the boat when I bought it from it's previous owner. They are brass fittings that were probably bought from a Home Depot or Lowes. I am fne with the repair being permanent, I just want the fitting to stop popping out.
Old     (sk4910)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-26-2012, 5:55 AM Reply   
I tried th pvc cement because I already had it. The threads are too far gone. There is a lot of play in the fitting and it pulls right out. I think I will need something firmer like a putty.
Old     (sk4910)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-08-2012, 6:39 AM Reply   
I called barefoot internaional and the person I talked to said they would not do a replacement or upgrade. He said they could not replace the rubber threaded insert but might be able to fix it. Otherwise, he said I would have to buy two new bags. I used a marine grade epoxy putty and so far so good.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-08-2012, 3:36 PM Reply   
I also emailed about getting extra ports put in a bag. They said they can't do that.
Old     (wakedoc)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-10-2012, 2:32 AM Reply   
Hi All - I had an issue with the port actually popping out of the bag itself (the black plastic unit removed itself from the gray bag material). Mike at BFI saif that the ports are heat sealed in so can't be repaired, and recommended that I replaced the bag, however did tell me that if I wanted to have a try at repairing it, 3M 5200 marine sealant might be worth a try (although he didn't think it would last).