Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Slideways)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2010, 5:28 PM Reply   
I'm looking for a boat now, but have a very limited budget. I want to pay for the boat outright, so I have no payments. I found this Pro Star...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1855869694.html

and am wondering if it's worth getting. I am a beginner rider anyway, so not sure I need a huge wakeboard boat to start off with. I've heard that adding some weight to the back and some up front makes it put out a decent wake.

Just to give you an idea, I learned to ride on a 175 bayliner, then moved on to friends 02' Sky Supreme. Hate the bayliner, liked the Supreme. Will the 205 be in between the two? More toward the Supreme? So info from people that own or have owned one would be great. Thanks.

Aaron
Old     (jelico)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-21-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
Awesome boat, Hull is one of my favorites (same as current X1).

Buy it, fill it with fat sacks (fly high rear seat plus a 340 in the bow, plus ski locker is nice). You may need to re prop but otherwise that boat looks good to go.

Really cant fault this boat for the money. Best bang for buck in my opinion.
Old     (Slideways)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2010, 5:41 PM Reply   
Re prop for better pull out of the water because of the weight?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
Owned one for years...... a 94 but it had a Chevy TBI in it. Loved the boat. I had about 800 lbs of ballast in it & the wake was nice, medium sized, well defined, and lots of boarders & foilers loved it.

I had a 4 blade SS OJ on it. It had great holeshot, even with the ballast & full of people.

In fact, it's for sale again: http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/1853097005.html
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-21-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
Check the numbers. That is either a 93' with a 351(5.8L) or a 94' with 350 (5.7L). 99% sure that MC switched to GM based engines in 94'
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2010, 6:17 PM Reply   
Yea, I thought the same thing, Craig.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2010, 6:18 PM Reply   
aaron i had a 92 correct craft nautique excel with 351 in it . it was very reliable i sold mine in 2008 with life jackets skis kneeboard wakeboard trick skis and barefoot pole with 500 hours on it. the guy who bought it said he had looked high and low and couldn't find one anywhere near as clean as mine. he drove 6 hours to get it . he paid 10000 for mine 2 years ago. the 13995 sounds a little high on the price. i would offer less like 10000 because my boat sold new for more than his. and mine was a vdrive more room and better wake not many people ski anymore most 80% or better wakeboard. get some comparables and negotiate with him. who knows you might find a better one for less money. buyers own the market because there are more boats for sale than buyers looking. GOOD LUCK!
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-21-2010, 8:47 PM Reply   
I think that is to much as well. You can get a v-drive for close to that.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1844224587.html
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       07-21-2010, 9:00 PM Reply   
i'd get that supersport over that pro star any day of the week.
Old     (Slideways)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2010, 9:16 PM Reply   
Hmmm. That Super Sport looks nice, and its closer. It's just over what I want to spend tho. Thanks everyone for the help. Much appreciated.

One nice thing about the Pro Star in Seattle is that I have a buddy that wants to move here, AZ, and could tow it down for me. But in that case, I guess he could swing by and get the Super Sport as well.

Keep the info coming!
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-22-2010, 5:52 AM Reply   
The Super Sport looks ok, not nice. Did you miss that most of the interior is shot? Anyway, both hulls are historical so it is really a wake choice and v-drive or d-drive choice.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-22-2010, 6:08 AM Reply   
Just to be clear the 94 prostar 205 hull is not the same as the current x1 hull. They changed the prostar 205 hull in 96 to the current x1 hull. The older hull is a little smaller all around. I'm sure it's still good but it's not what you guys are saying it is.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2010, 7:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldr View Post
Just to be clear the 94 prostar 205 hull is not the same as the current x1 hull. They changed the prostar 205 hull in 96 to the current x1 hull. The older hull is a little smaller all around. I'm sure it's still good but it's not what you guys are saying it is.
and actually changed it even more, so the 96-98 205 hull is virtually the same, but not exact, as the X1.

I ride a 97, love it, best thing around, but I prefer D-drive over V-drive
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-22-2010, 9:44 PM Reply   
We have had ours for years and put over 1000hrs on it. Fantastic entry level boat. With the right tower it can look really sharp as well. We have used 1200lb sofas in the rear and 300lbs in front over ski locker and have great wakes. Interior ect has held up great, only wood in the boat is side panels in the interior. I got mine in 04 for 12.5k, so check around, MC sold alot of these babies. We have had a blast in ours, very well built. PM us and we can send ya some shots of wake ect... We usually have 6-8 on board and add 400lbs rear and maybe 150lbs up front and everyone is happy with the wake and gas useage. I run the newer CNC OJ props and they are awesome and durable (unlike Acme's) We have now taught over 250 people how to wakeboard behind our boat. Does a decent job for surfin as well.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-23-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
OP

I have one of those fat sofas available if you want it.
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-23-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
Wake can be great just limited on space. Owned one for 8 years and counting and its been great. Like its been said its not the same hull as the x-1 but the wake has a little more transition which i actually like.
Attached Images

Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-23-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
Matt Id be interested in that fat seat if your selling one, also can you send me a pm I got a couple questions about being an IE if you got a sec. I tried to PM you but it wouldn't work. Hijack over sorry
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-23-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
The only drawback we had with the sofa weight is GAS useage and leaks. We went to the more duable FlyHigh 700lb retangle block and made a seat for it that can be faced front or backwards, when u empty the "cube" bag the seat sits on top of it near floor but you uase less gas all the way around. We had too many probs with sofa seams leaking and since we went to the "cube" bag we are really happy with results. Using the X Series bags, great durability,no leaks in years, now have the air bleed valve as well. Money well spent, the Tsunami pumps are great as well. Without the RIGHT prop, getting on plane and gas useage with the sofa is bad. Talk with Eric at OJ, he has been fantastic to deal with and our boat can pull up a guy who is 350lbs, with bags loaded with NO problem. Hope the baot works as well for you as has for us.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-23-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
This was my first boat and it was awsome I learned all my tricks on it. I know have an old X-2 which is now the X-1. And I think the 205 actually had a cleaner wake then the X-2. We would put a thousand pounds of lead in it. Then a fat seat in the back and and a fat sac up front. Wake was awsome! We put 1700 hours on that boat. It wouldn't go too well with more then three people in it. But you could solve that with a new prop. Defintely a great boat!
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-23-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
Jeff just sent you a PM