Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-31-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
any of you ladies wanna give me some advice on how to teach a girl to board as well as drive. it's her first time for both. she has only seen wakeboarding one other time...this past saturday. what made your first experiences enjoyable? i want her to like it and get excited to ride again. any thoughts? i'm not to worried about the technique...we've taught plenty of females to ride. basically just want to know the little things that got you hooked. i want her to want to do it again, DAILY! haha. thanks!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-31-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
and the weather won't be a problem...it's 90 and sunny!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-31-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
i think having her willing to give it a go is a great start. just make sure everyone is having fun, so she's enjoying herself, and she's bound to get hooked!
Some girls just have no interest from the beginning and there's not much hope when that's the case I reckon.
lots of encouragement is good too - everyone loves compliments! :-)
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-31-2007, 4:38 PM Reply   
love the profile pic Jay. First of all, just get her on the boat. Let her get used to being on the boat and watching the whole thing.

1) Then when she wants to try wakeboarding, have her sit on the sunpad with the rope handle and tell her to hold the handle and act like she is getting up out of a chair, then you pull her up. Then move to putting her in the water with the board against the swim step and then you pull her up. Tell her to keep her butt almost on the back of the board, like she is going to sit on the board or stay in a ball. (you can give her a hint of putting one foot VERY slightly higher than the other, that will help her twist the board when she gets up) She will relax and pop up in most cases...but I would bet around the 3rd time, it will click for her.

2) boat driving? You mean pulling someone, docking, launching, just idling along?
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-31-2007, 5:15 PM Reply   
Oh yeah....GO SLOW, so IF she face plants, it won't hurt as much. Also lots of encouragement and other females in the boat helps too. Kate would be great in the boat.
Old     (katelynn37)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-31-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
Yep Jay, I think I would help a lot haha, you guys totally got me hooked. Let me know how it went today, maybe I can go out with you guys some other time. But my advice, since it worked for me, is to not give her too many instructions at once, it's overwhelming, but when she does something/anything right, let her know. It can get frustrating so encouragement is key. And watching you will help too and seeing how much you enjoy it, good luck buddy!!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-31-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
hijack -

Kate how is it going? Did you ride on Sunday? Anymore w2w's on record yet? Can't wait to ride with you again.
Old     (katelynn37)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-31-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
It's going great, still in the market for a new board. I did end up going sunday and used that board you were using, but I'm not sure about the bindings, just felt a little tight to me or I'm just not used to it I guess, so I'm going to try a few more and see what I like best. Sunday didn't go so well though, I think it's the worst I have done all summer :-( I was so tired and out of it, so hopefully I canmake up for it later this week. When are you in town again, I would love to ride with you too, it was so nice to have a girl in the boat and get a new perspective, thanks again!!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-31-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
I agree about the bindings. My feet feel asleep all three times I rode them. But I thought maybe you had smaller feet. Go into Midwest Mastercraft and they will hook up for demos. They have a women's ride section on the back wall. I don't remember their setup. Unfortunately they don't care my board, but they were the ones that had a demo program. The other choice is to change out the fins (to 1.0s) on the board Jay has and see if that helps to get you through till the 08 stuff is available to demo in the spring.

I will email you when I know for sure when I am coming back. Go Kate....get that w2w.

hijack over
Old     (wake_nurse)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-31-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
About driving the boat - teach her about boating safely first! Then what line you want her to drive - in other words, how NOT to hit the chop when she's turning. How to approach a fallen rider, and be patient! That's the best advice I can give - I'm a total dork behind the wheel of our boat at first, but now I love driving it and pulling riders - everytime I gain more confidence.

As for riding - if you have a copy of The Book, have her watch the first disc - helped me tremendously and got me up on my first pull.

Good luck and tell her welcome to the sisterhood of women boarders!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-01-2007, 4:31 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. She got up on her first try! Did pretty good, at both. I put a piece of tape on the Tachometer and told her to "just stay between 3 and this piece of tape". Worked pretty good...except for my ribs keep moving around on me. Happened 3 times last night! Needless to say my run wasn't very long. Yeah I was super excited that she got up right away. Now we gotta work on edging. Afterwords she was already asking what she needed to work on. She also wants to get her own board already! I had her ride that Watson 134 with the Shane CT bindings. LOL, she said she really liked driving too...nice.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-01-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
VERY NICE!!!! Way to go Jay. Tell her welcome to the club.

Hopefully we can all ride together next time I am in MN.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-01-2007, 6:45 AM Reply   
for sure, that'd be great. what's the name of that board shop you know of? i want to check it out.

cross your fingers...i'm goin' to the doc this morning to get my ribs checked out. i'm hoping nothing to serious....i can deal with some ribs popping in and out once or twice a run, i'm hoping it won't cause a lot of long term damage.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-01-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
Grizzly Sports (http://www.grizzly-sports.com)
1-866-444-BEAR

Ask for Mike. Although all the guys know me and will give you the 'Laci' deal.

But from the rumors of the 2008 gear line up, I would wait to buy any new gear. Just throw smaller fins on that Divine you have and ride it out till next year.

(Message edited by tcluv85 on August 01, 2007)
Old     (katelynn37)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-01-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
Jay,
Let me know what you hear from the doc. I used to working in the training room for the gopher football team and a lot of the guys had the same problem, so I have lots of experience wrapping them. It usually worked pretty well or atleast prevented anything more serious from happening. I have a bunch of waterproof tape and wraps at my place, so let me know. Best of luck with everything!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-01-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
he told me to not be a wuss and to take some tylenol.

yeah you were right on sunday kate, the cartilege is was messed up. he basically said it'll be like this all summer. i just gotta let it rest, but you know that won't happen.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-03-2007, 9:06 PM Reply   
Hey Jay, I thought of one more important thing you can do to increase her desire to be on the boat......buy her a copy of THE CHICK FLICK!!!

http://www.thechickflick.com
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-09-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
grizzly sports rocks! we buy everything from them!

glad to hear she got up so fast..onw, i hear you doing what my boyfriend did which really pissed me off--"now we have to work on edging"..you're going to lose her if she gets too frustrated..my bf tried to push me too fast when i wasn't ready..i took a whole summer to be comfy getting up and riding right behind the boat..the next summer i was really comfortable so i started edging and crossing the wake..this year i'm working on jumping the wake and will hopefully progress a little faster..just be patient and let her go at her own pace while gently pushing her..i think it also helps to get a few lessons--the objectivity can be great!! congrats on bringing another girl to the dsark side!
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-09-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
The Chick Flick absolutely rocks...great recommendation to get her stoked about boarding and anything else for the water.

For driving and learning, aside from lessons, I would recommend the Book. We got that and in the first disc (?) they talk about proper gear and driving techniques along with an illustration and video. Everything from picking up riders to proper "p" turns.

Another way you can practice...and we did this at a smaller less traveled lake is you going out with just her and practicing runs. Take a throwable, toss it in the lake and have her practice coming up to the "rider" aka throwable. Practice the p-turn etc...then graduate to pulling a third. My husband did this with me 4 years back and it helped tremendously.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-09-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
thanks for the advice ladies! she is doing good. we went out for her second time on tuesday. she did much better. her first time she was wayyy heel heavy...shot right out side the wake instantly when she got up and really couldn't go anywhere, just kinda stuck out there. on tuesday she much more comfortable...stayed inside the wake, did a little bit of edging (on her own accord). we just told her to ride back there and mess around. she did eventually make it outside of the wake too...on purpose, ha.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-09-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
i wish there was a way to shrink the wake without having to speed up. it's just me and another guy in there. i'm thinking we'll have to lengthen the line way out, hopefully that will make it easer for her.
f
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-09-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
wanna hear a good joke!!!!!

womens wakeboarding.......

da dung chhhh

I am here all week try the pork tenderloin, and dont forget to tip the staff!!!

you guys have been great
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-09-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
i found it easier to have the rope all the way out when i started..what speed are you at with her..i ride around 23 right now with 2200lbs ballast and 3-4 people..let me tell you it can be a little intimidating!!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-10-2007, 4:11 AM Reply   
i started her out as short as the rope would go, 55', because i figured the closer to the boat the more verticle lift she would get and she'd come out of the water easier. i'm thinking that since we got her started it's time to put her out to 75'. she's riding at about 18-19mph.
Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-10-2007, 5:33 AM Reply   
Just be very patient. And don't pull too fast. Nothing kills the urge to ride for a beginner more then a face plant at 22mph. I might be bringing my prostar down in a few weeks and hitting up medicin again, you wont like riding behind it (i don't) but beginners love that boat. the most un-intimidating wake out there.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-10-2007, 6:00 AM Reply   
haha...she took a good ol face plant at about 19mph. was going outside the wake and was pretty evenly weighted tip to tail and as soon as she came over the top of the wake the nose went right into the water. she still is eager to get back out there. we have it on video, and i told her i was gonna put it up on here, and she gave me the go ahead. gonna have to wait though...internet restrictions won't let me get to photobucket here at work.

(Message edited by ironj32 on August 10, 2007)