Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-18-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
I have a friend who just found out she's pregnant but wants to learn to wakeboard this summer. Any advice on whether it's a good idea or not?
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-18-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
I've heard if you did the sport before you were pregnant, you can do the sport while pregnant. Of assuming you tone it down so you dont hurt yourself or the baby. And also that you dont do it too late in the pregnancy.
Old     (eastbayrider)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
from a paramedic stand point, I can see some problems with doing a sport that you may take a fall where the impact my be great enough to tear the placenta from the uterus wall. Even a small tear would be extremely painful not to mention how vascular this area is, I would consult your OBGYN.
Old                07-18-2006, 7:31 PM Reply   
My best friend is very pregnant. She checked with her doc at the first of the summer to see if she could wakeboard. Her doc told her she needed to keep her physical activity to anything she could do without spilling a drink. I don't know how ya'll wakeboard, but that drink would be all over me!!
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-18-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
I asked my doctor when I was pregnant and he said no to anything that pulls you. He said if water shoots up inside you it could be harmful (don't know what it would do but I didn't take the chance) Sucks taking a summer off though.
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-18-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
We bought a new boat this spring and 2 days later we found out my wife was pregnant. She was convinced she would still be able to ride...I thought different. At the first doctor's appointment I had her ask the doctor and he said "NO" I am sur eveybody is different and everyone's doctor has different opinions, but ours said not this year. Good Luck
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-19-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
I personally would not take the chance wakeboarding. Last year I tore an abdominal muscle on a simple wake jump. I think there is just too much chance of doing damage. It really does not take much.

On the other hand, wakesurfing would be a much better option in my mind. Slower speeds, not locked into bindings, NO impact during falls, etc. Nothing wrong with taking a few months off from boarding amd still have fun another way.

Renee!!!!!! Miss ya! Hopefully see ya real soon!
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-19-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
Nice....Didn't even ask your Husband (THE NURSE)!

It is not a good idea for her to WB. Too much stress on the baby and mom. Buzz has the right idea. Although I would still be very careful with that too. It only takes one wrong fall.

Buzz - Look forward to seeing you @ Boardstock
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-19-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
Don't get all butt hurt Sweetie, I was hoping to hear from the WOMEN who have been pregnant which is why it's in the "Girls That Ride" section.
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-19-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
If she hasn't started boarding yet than she doesn't know what she is missing. I was a pretty good rider when I found out I was prego. I decided why take the chance after my doctor told me not to. I know when I was learning a I did my fair share of face plants. At least you'll have a driver. We did a lot of fishing and dinner boat rides because it was hard to watch everyone else. That year off was worth it because now I have a beautiful daughter (and a son too but he was born in June so I didn't miss as much that year)
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-20-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
my wife surfed once this summer while pregnant, due in Oct, but had to stop boarding. She's pretty consistent but not going wake to wake on a regular basis and she still takes an occasional slapper. If your friend is learning, she'll be landing on her face/stomach enough that I'd say...wait one more summer :-(

But surfing, you've got weight in the front to help you lean forward already!
Old     (bat0525)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-20-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
IF YOU CAN RIDE AND KNOW YOU WON'T FALL THEN DO IT.MY WIFE WAKEBOARDING UP UNTIL HER 5TH MONTH.SHE KNEW SHE COULD RIDE WITHOUT FALLING AND DID TRY ANYTHING STUPID AND EVERYTHING IS OK.YOU SHOULD SEE MY 7 MONTH OLD WAKEBOARDER NOW HE;S A DIME.
Old                07-22-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
My cousin wakeboarded until she was 8 months pregnant. She did not know she was pregnant at the time though...long story. Everything went fine for her. In fact, her 7 yr old really rips it up now.

From a medical standpoint (I am a nurse), I'd say its too risky for a beginner. Think of all the faceplants you did when you started. I think the baby is much more important than learning to wakeboard.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-23-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
Not a good idea. You can tear the placenta of the uterine wall at any fetal age....then you have lost the baby, even if you don't do "anything stupid". Amanda is right on. (And I am also a nurse). Looks like the nurses have given their professional opinion

Renee...I was wondering why you asked us and not Tate But good reason!!!
Old     (islamom)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-25-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
My doctor said not to even get in the lake while I was pregnant. Of course, the Texas lake water in summer is pretty disgusting. His words of wisdom were "why take a chance, if anything happened, you'd never forgive yourself." I have two beautiful daughters and wouldn't change a thing. I was the designated boat driver for 2 summers of my life. Those 18 months seem like blips on the radar compared to the time I have with my girls.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-25-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
ha tate so it looks like you might have to change the name of your boat. Looks like renee is asking about being pregnant Do we all see a message here? You might be the last to know
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-25-2006, 11:37 PM Reply   
oh HELLLLL NOOOO!!!! It's someone who works in my office.
Old     (kitingcj)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-04-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
hi there..I am 5weeks prego and kitesurf and go to the cable parks on a regular basis. My hubby and I always go together every chance we get. I am an experienced rider and love obstacles like sliders and kickers, but thought if I just rode around the lake and didn't hit any obstacle that maybe that would be ok..still on the fence about it..if I take it easy and just cruise around the lake will that be ok?
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-04-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
CJ...did you read what everyone said on here? If it was me, I would stop riding and get into an aerobics, jazzercise, or cycling class at a gym. I was at a cable park recently, "just cruising around", got outside one of the buoys too far, got jerked back around the corner and took such a hard fall that I pulled my hamstring so bad I couldn't lift my leg even to get dressed for 2 weeks. The ultimate choice is yours, but I wouldn't risk it. It's only another 7 1/2 months now and you live where you can ride all year. I have a friend who lost a baby at about 8 weeks. Was it from wakeboarding? We will never know.
Old     (kitingcj)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-04-2009, 2:52 PM Reply   
SoCal, Thanks for your opinion. I went to the cable today, but didn't ride. I took pics of my hubby and figured this is just going to be a time in my life that I have to discover other hobbies and not be selfish just for a session on the water..so the lil' one inside take priority over my fun right now...which is well worth the wait..It was also good to sit out for once and just watch(which I never really do)...Kitesurfing and wakeboarding will always be there after I deliver...thanks again!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-04-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
CJ..wise choice and clear, mature thinking young Grasshopper
Old     (kitingcj)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-04-2009, 3:42 PM Reply   
Thank you Sensei,
grasshoppa
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-04-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
CJ - congrats on the little one and GREAT profile pic! You will be ripping on a wakeboard again before you know it. What a great thing to look forward to!
Old     (kitingcj)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-04-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
thanks Lzrd..good to have the positive vibes..
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-15-2009, 7:29 PM Reply   
CJ....how ya doing??