Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (kathleen)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-15-2007, 5:14 PM Reply   
I hope you've all had a chance to gaze at this beautiful cover shot . . . Amber looks amazing! Congrats to Amber on her first cover shot ever! Alliance magazine always does a great job but this month's cover should mean something extra special to this discussion board . . . Go check it out if you haven't yet and relish in the best representation of women as of late . . . Yeah Amber!
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-15-2007, 7:11 PM Reply   
Havent seen the actual mag yet, but saw the pic on the internet and its awesome! I love it that Alliance gave the cover to a woman and also that it's Amber, one of my fave riders! And the best part... I'm also in the mag in the Miami Ski Nautique Ad... what can be better than being in the same issue as one of your wakeboarding heroes?!
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-15-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
I've seen it. It's an awesome picture and I feel just that much cooler because I got to wakeboard with her :-)
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       02-16-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
Great cover, so why aren't there more Pro events for the women? They have two stops in the USA,and how many for the men!Any answers Kathleen as a company person in the industry as why the women can't compete at every stop as the men do?
Old     (x2fanatic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-18-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
We need to see more women- they work so hard and deserve to be recognized as well.
Old     (kathleen)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-19-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
This is a very exciting time in wake sports for women. There have been many girls pushing and progressing the sports for years and recently we've seen some amazing growth and achievements realized. Industry companies have increased their female-specific product lines and begun to support more female athletes. Women's wakeskating has taken on new life with new blood in the free-skate and competition scenes. The competition scene acknowledged the hard work of that new blood as 2006 was first year offering a female wakeskate division in 3 different competitions. We saw a full feature DVD dedicated to women’s wake sports released in last year exposing many faces of the female wake sports scene. The riders at the top of the competition ladders are finding it harder to stay there and feel motivated to hit the water harder everyday in order to progress their skills and keep their podium status. Younger, newer females to the scene are becoming more inspired by this recent burst of exposure to and support for their heroes. These new girls are emerging from all across the globe who want to contribute to the progression of the sports and in turn are the inspiration to the girls at the top. The “now” and future of women’s wake sports looks very bright . . . this is a very exciting time for you, me and everyone who loves these sports.
Old     (gltr)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-19-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
We need to commend Kathleen, companies like Liquid Force / Maven and all of the pro riders for doing an amazing job of progessing the sport for females. When we started GLTR 8 years ago, women's wakeboarding was growing...then it stalled as companies & the industry didn't see a "real" growth in this demographic. Even the magazines & tour directors were getting bored of seeing the same 5 women competing or getting photos. Then over the past few years...a number of new riders came to the forefront and pushed the envelope of riding. We are now starting to see a progression, very similar to what we have seen in women's surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding. As Kathleen mentioned "The “now” and future of women’s wake sports looks very bright"....and yes indeed it's an exciting time to be involved and to remember why we love these sports so much!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-20-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   

quote:

We saw a full feature DVD dedicated to women’s wake sports released in last year exposing many faces of the female wake sports scene.

it's called The Chick Flick, in case you forgot the title.

nice work amber! congrats on the cover shot!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-22-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
Congrats to Amber. Here is a pic of the cover.

Upload

First off, I think what the Maven's group is attempting to do for the women in the sport is really cool. But I am confused by Liquid Force slightly. The Maven's goal is pushing the women's side of the sport, so I'm curious as to why they didn't get involved or support The Chick Flick? I can understand if The Chick Flick was a "team" video, but it was not. It features riders from all companies. In fact, most of the Maven group is in the dvd! (except for two that shall remain nameless)

IMHO, Liquid Force and the Maven's is a major disappointment. I had just high hope for it and they quickly flizzed out.

(Message edited by tcluv85 on February 22, 2007)
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-22-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
bsflower... you got a point... I was dissapointed when I saw the Truth that there was so little of the Maven team there. Only Amber had one full section, Melissa had a very small appearance and there was no Stef Tor! Or any of the other women riders!

But still I do think the Mavens and LF are pushing the sport, just by supporting so many women riders and by making events such as the Maven Sessions, they are helping the women side of the sport. Their women product line is the best IMO. I think you shouldnt be dissapointed yet... big things take time and if Im not mistaken, Maven has less than 2 yrs. I dont know Kathleen, but from all she's done and what I've read, she's an awesome Team manager for Maven and she and the girls in the Team are all about progressing the sport.

Maybe they have something that they're keeping a secret... I think we'll see something big from
Maven in the near future...

Congrats again to Amber, and keep up the good work Kathleen!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-22-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
what kind of support should LF have provided bsflower?
Old     (junebug)      Join Date: May 2006       02-22-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
thats so cool!!! great job amber!!!!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-22-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
You would think with the Maven's goal of pushing the women's side of the sport, they would be all over The Chick Flick.

There were many forms of support that were lended to the film. Support could have ranged from money to encouraging all their Mavens to ride to letting DPC film some of the Girls Learn to Ride Sessions to including the Maven stickers in the DVD booklet. There were big and small forms of support...any of them would have been nice, but I would have expected them to be on the bigger side of support due to their goal...}

Maybe their goal is to push the 'Liquid Force's' women's side of the sport.....rather than all women. So sad....
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-26-2007, 5:35 AM Reply   
Congrats Amber !

Here's a shot from The Chick flick shoot.
Upload
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-26-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
bsflower-maybe Kathleen or Joe will respond as to why not the more active participation. Maybe their budget was spent already for the year with doing the Maven Sessions? However, the "push" Kathleen is doing solely for womens wakeboarding is huge. If only every company involved in wakeboarding had someone as passionate as Kathleen, the women's scene would be the same as the guys. We need to realize how much LF Maven has stepped up the attention to womens wakeboarding. A few years ago the womens scene was very stagnant. Now other companies are moving in the direction of Maven. Keep in mind that it all comes down to $$$'s and as a company you can not participate in every venture.
Congrats Amber.
Old     (kathleen)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-26-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
Thank you all for the support and feedback. I appreciate the encouragement and the constructive criticism--we are always open to suggestions of how to improve our product and program. Our girls work really hard at what they do and collectively, we as a program feel like we're making progress in pushing wake sports for women. It is our goal to represent women's wake sports in the most positive and professional light we can. From a company standpoint we are supporting many women to pursue their career in wake sports. As much as each of our athletes encourage each other to succeed they also push each other by free-riding together and "one-upping" each other for every new grab they pull, new trick they land and new level of style they reach . . . this in one word is PROGRESSION. We're all very proud of the progression our girls have made and that of every girl in wake sports. We do our best to encourage every girl in the industry and every girl in the galaxy to push the level of these sports. By supporting more women to make their pursuit of these sports a reality we believe we are contributing to that progression.
Though we are part of a business that sells a product we are first and foremost: GIRLS WHO LOVE TO RIDE. It is our goal to spread our love for these sports to more women and girls as we proudly accomplished last year through the Maven Sessions. We have put so much of our time and energy into our product line and want everyone to try it because we've worked so hard on it--for you. We think it's the best and we want to share it with you--it's that simple.
In regards to our support of the Chick Flick we make up the most athletes from any company that are in the DVD. These athletes lead extremely busy lives and it is hard to partake in all opportunities that arise in one season. Our girls worked hard to proactively participate in the DVD. We worked with the film crew to arrange the girls' schedules in order to create filming opportunities. We flew our athletes to events and locations that worked with the filming locations of the DVD, etc. We very much supported the DVD and were extremely excited about the whole venture.
One thing to keep in mind is that we have our own production company--Liquid Force Films . . . responsible for Relentless, Encore, The Truth. . . If we have budget to lend to film projects it is our own LF Films that we are dedicated to. We always support our athletes in pursuing quality outside film opportunities but we have to make our own a priority. It's a bit of a business point and a personal dedication to and pride for Liquid Force Films. We think we've produced some pretty amazing projects from LF Films and hope to continue to do so.
Our number one priority last season was the Maven Session Tour. We worked hard and dedicated the majority of our funds to provide these free clinics for women and girls. The quality of these clinics were our main priority--that's why we capped the number of attendees to 6 per boat for a four hour session (though some dealers didn't heed to these numbers and we usually had a couple extra . . . which is fine--we always made it work!). The quality of our product and service is very important to us. We closed the season with Maven Session-ing over 580 women and girls.
(And we did invite the crew to come film a Maven Session at the Carlsbad Lagoon)
It is in my personal experience that progression is made through celebrating the positive achievements, large and small, instead of focusing on the negative and what is "not happening". So much is happening for women in these sports and I want to continue to highlight that and encourage you all to do so as well.
Not to take away from the original intention of this thread--Amber has achieved one of the most sought-after honors in the sport (whether you're male or female) in landing the cover. On another note Amber is coming into town this week to visit LF Maven headquarters and she's shooting an episode of the Daily Habit with FUEL TV . . . coverage follows progression so here's one more achievement to celebrate! (I think you can check out when it will air on their website.)
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-27-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
I think its great that Amber is getting a lot of coverage, she deserves it! I really hope to see more of her and the other Mavens.

Any of them going to be at Pan Ams?
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-27-2007, 5:07 PM Reply   
It looks like Taylor McCullough & Rami Merrit are the only two signed up and they will be in the Am divisions. Here is a link to list of riders.

http://www.board-up.net/participants.php
Old     (kathleen)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-05-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
Courtney Dutson is riding as well! She's been with Maven since the get-go and I'm excited to see her in this competition. Go Court! Nicola Butler is just coming into the crew though has been riding LF gear for some time. Christina Amador has been a great representative for females and LF Ecuador so I'm really excited to see her in a state-side competition. It looks like LF Maven will have some great representation.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-06-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
Thanks! I try to do the best I can! This year most of the ecuadorian female (and male) riders will be riding LF boards Id like to say it was me that convinced them but i think the product speaks for itself.. i just make everyone try my board. And board up is going to be great, I cant wait to make new friends and Im excited for my first international competition!
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-16-2007, 9:55 PM Reply   
Pan Ams and Board Up was great! I was eager to meet Courtney but she didnt go. I met Nicola, Raimi and Taylor who were really nice and ripping in their own categories! As for me I'm happy that I got 1st! Also cause I made so many great friends and the whole experience was awesome, from helping out at my sponsor's booth, Miami Ski Nautique, to getting to meet my fave pro riders and some wakeworld friends... I even got to ride in the boat for the men's finals on saturday.

Everyone was really laid back and nice... I didnt expect it but it was cool when some people I didnt know recognized me from my interview here and the Miami Ski Nautique Ad in Alliance... Overall, it was a great experience and I can't wait till my next competition
Upload

(Message edited by criswb on March 16, 2007)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-16-2007, 10:55 PM Reply   
congrats cris!!!! soooo stoked for ya!
Old     (fishondryland)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-22-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
Aww congrats to her! That's a very big accomplishment for her I see!