Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakeboarder78)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-13-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
Hey! I am looking at a used 2006 Mastercraft X 1. The boat is a great deal and loaded. The only problem is that it is already winterized and I can't test drive it to see if it works. What should I do to know the boat runs and is in good condition? Thanks!
Old     (kbob)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-13-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
Are there freezing temps there yet?
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-13-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
If he really wants to sell it, he will take you out. Re-winterizing is a pain in the ass, but not worth blowing a sale over. Maybe offer to cover a portion of the winterization.

"If the boat is everything you say it is, and I dont buy it based on an inability to agree on aprice, I will cover 20/30 (whatever you feel is fair) bucks towards re winterizing. If its a piece of crap, suck it"
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-13-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
Tell the guy you aren't going to buy it unless it has a mechanical inspection. Go look at the boat, crawl around it, lift everything up to see if you like that part of it. If it looks like something you want to purchase then work out a deposit and pay for a mechanical inspection. What I would do is take the boat out on the water right before they do the inspection to run the boat around. Then take it to the mechanic. You are already going to be paying for the inspection. Have them winterize it when they are done.
Old     (wakeboarder78)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-13-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
No it is not freezing yet and won't for another month or so.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-13-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Drive it! Who would winterize it and THEN try to sell???

I would go with what Kevin said...
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-15-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
I wouldn't have any piece of mind unless I test drove it and had it looked over by a mechanic. If the deal is good and the seller is motivated it should be a win win situation for the both of you. A winterization should not be a big deal for the seller unless something is wrong with the boat and he is trying to scam.

If the deal works out for you, then you may have to re-winterize. I would rather pay that than for engine repairs on a boat.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-16-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
Drive it and/or have it inspected by a dealer, include a compression test. The nice thing about a dealer inspection is it will give you an idea of how the boat operates and what, if any, costs will be to repair anything.

I work at a dealer and the inspection can include anything you want but typically we do
-trailer light inspection
-trailer brake inspection
-dash electronics inspection
-check for signs of overheat (exterior damage to exhaust manifolds, muffles, exhast flanges)
-check for signs of freeze damge (cracks or bulges in block and manifolds)
-steering cable inspection
-tether cord inspection
-make sure engine builds temp
-run in gear
-check drive shaft and strut
-compression check
-check bilge pump(s)
-check ballast pumps
-check stereo

You can do most of this yourself too, I would recommend taking a list with you just to make sure you don't miss anything.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-16-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
Fill and empty all tanks do it separately and same time. Make sure they fill. Stereo make sure all speakers are working as well.