Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-16-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
Hey, I've landed one toe roll behind a supra at a clinic, trying them behind my own boat these are the results. I think I may be taking off too fast or not holding the handle low enough? I dont know, please watch and help me out! Thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=948TU...ebFAAAAAAAAHAA
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-16-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
Doesn't look to me like you are holding your edge all the way up. you kind of stop then start again, and make sure you are standing tall (legs straight), at the top of the wake. oh yea, and don't let go of the handle, you could have pulled one or two of those out if you didn't bail! looks good though man, you'll get it in no time.
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       04-17-2012, 2:17 PM Reply   
When you're cutting out pause longer before you start your edge toward the wake.

Make your cut towards the wake more progressive, that pause will help with that. Start slow and build speed.

As you come into the wake get your chest and chin way up. They way to think about it for a toe roll is the straighter you have your back the more momentum you can generate when you throw the flip.

Watching the video it does look like you are trying to initiate the flip a little early, make sure and wait till you feel the pop.

Big thing I see that brings this trick in for you from the video. You are dropping your back hand too early and anticipating the landing. Hold your tucked roll position until you see the water, when you see the water then you can drop your back hand. It is nearly impossible to over rotate a front roll, all you do is land more on edge.

Summary...

Cut out, pause, progressive cut, chest up, wait for the pop, throw the flip, hold the flip and keep the handle in until you see the water and spot your landing, drop your back hand and stomp it. Done
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       04-17-2012, 2:25 PM Reply   
Ya man watched it again, if you look at your pov attempt #1, you drop the handle as soon as the horizon is in sight. Hold that handle till you see the water where you want to your board to go and you would have landed that. The other stuff I mention up there will take it higher and farther and more consistent but holding that handle longer is what's gonna let you ride it out.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-18-2012, 5:02 AM Reply   
Thank you sippi and thank you Davis! Itll be a few weeks until i can try it again but when I nail it ill be sure to let you guys know
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-18-2012, 7:32 AM Reply   
good points from davis for sure who went in to much more detail than i did, but good stuff. be sure to post a vid of you landing it in this thread next time you go out!
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       04-18-2012, 2:27 PM Reply   
For sure, it's a fun trick to take big and eventually move to variations and grabs. Also having good form on a front roll makes for an easier transition to a scarecrow and even more so a crowmobe.

Let us know how it goes.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-24-2012, 2:29 AM Reply   
Just some points that made this for me:
1) when you go for the trick; cut out once, pause, cut in. If you cut out and pause and don't feel you're out far enough, drift back in to the wake and start over. Otherwise you're doing more work than you need to and it ruins the flow of the trick. Remember a trick doesn't start on your cut in, it starts on your cut out.

2) When you pause, place the handle so its touching your hip and keep it there. You'd be surprised how much stability this gives you and it a nice thing to focus on. When you take off, keep it at your hip. By starting off with your handle out, it allows it to drift up to your head when you're in the air, meaning the pull of the boat thows you off. Also by cracking this habit now, it makes progress to scarecrows, crowmobes and tootsie rolls easier.

3) Remember; late means height. If you ever have a fall where you feel you didn't get enough height, chances are you took off early. Its easier to land a roll that you threw too late than one that you threw too early.

4) For all toeside cuts do this; On land facing a wall squat so your knees are at about 90 degrees. You want to squat in a way that you wouldn't for gym work ie knees in front of toes and on the balls of your feet, not flat footed. There should be a straight line from your shoulders, through your hips, to your ankles. If you do this correctly you should be imbalanced and leaning forward. Hold this position and allow yourself to fall forward into the wall slightly. This is the position you should be in for most toeside cuts and the only thing that should change is how far you're leaning.

5) On take off make sure you jump up first and then throw the flip. Not doing this stalled my tootsie for a while and was a hard habit to break. Its similar to leaving late but you wanna aim for a really tall wake to wake flip rather than something big into the flats or worse something low into the flats.

6) When you're in the air and you're looking for your landing, look through the hole between your front arm and hip. This doesn't cause you to open up to the boat as much as looking over your front shoulder or waiting to see it after your board, and lets you see it earlier.

7) Once you spot the landing, take your back hand off the handle and with your front hand shove it into your back pocket while keeping it at your hip. This reinforces the direction of the nose of your board so its not pointing at boat, but instead where you're going. If you're still butt-checking the landings, chances are this will help you the most.

8) Get that head up and look to the shore when you land. Try to land **** over toes so you're still on edge and in the same position as when you left the wake. If you want to slow the rotation, you can let the handle out from your hip, but keep it near your back pocket.

In this video you can see she has a really good approach, her handle is at her hip and she has a good body position. What she does wrong is she's not pushing off the wake before throwing her flip. As soon as she reaches the top off the wake, her torso collapses into the flip and she gets no height. 2nd attempt she gets more height but its still thrown forward rather than up first and she goes out into the flats.
When she's in the air, you can see she's not looking through her arm and hip for the landing, but rather waiting to see it over her board, causing her to open up. Then she doesn't do anything to counter this (like shoving her handle into her back pocket) and her board's direction is more towards the boat on her landing than on her take off, causing her to butt-check.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-25-2012, 5:04 PM Reply   
Just realised I was censored on that last one. Its meant to say "chest swellings" over toes (t**s over toes). Just something that my friends and I say for toeside landings.