Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-03-2020, 1:17 AM Reply   
Last fall our G21 was caught in a house fire and insurance totaled. Long story short, looking into some new options, but live in WA state so demoing are this time is very difficult. Been looking into a few and wanted to see if anyone had an experience:

2015+ MB F22 being on the top of the list

How is the wake(size/shape)? Is it finicky side to side? How is plane time with pnp and what elevation are you at?

2015+ Supra SA is being considered, but would really prefer something a bit smaller, but same questions.

2015+ 23 lsv

Thanks for your input in advance. Just trying to narrow down the hunt before we start demoing.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-03-2020, 5:52 AM Reply   
PM sent.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       01-04-2020, 3:19 PM Reply   
Based upon your recent purchase, you can't go wrong with a Correct Craft 230 or 236. Wakeboarding journalist and history nerd here (check my stats). Rarely post lately but trying to re-emerge. The 230/236 was simply a gorgeous craft appointed with almost all if not all of the modern things you'd expect. Designed by Steve Carlton, a hero of mine and the best purist naval architect developer guy in the game. If you care about wakeboarding itself, and want a boat that really performs alongside the best hulls ever made (those being the first GOOD boats from a naval architecture AND semi-pro wakeboarder perspective, the late 90's Super Sport hulls from Correct Craft, 210 Correct Crafts from any year, the DD and VD 205 Master Crafts and 2001 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 2001's), the 230/236 is right there too.

The G23 was a game changer. The most insane thing ever to happen in the sport from a boating perspective. But if a 10/10 behind-a-boat experience as a purist wakeboarder is what you are after, look at the 230's and 236's. I've been yapping my mouth about a set of boats that enter a "Hall of Fame" sort of thing and published a whole chart about this, more than 10 years ago. It's still referenced a lot even now in 2020. The only 2 additions I'd make to that chart are the 230/236 and the first iteration of the G23. I have a VERY good track record and I am conservative as hell. it all depends on what you're looking for. If you want a solid & amazing experience behind the boat..... and are ok with a lightly-used machine (as you should be).... 230/236.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 01-04-2020 at 3:29 PM.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       01-05-2020, 3:19 PM Reply   
Wow been a while indeed since I've seen a post from you anywhere. Welcome back!

To OP; why no CC's on your shortlist, coming from a G21?
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-10-2020, 3:30 AM Reply   
PM sent also
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       01-14-2020, 3:50 AM Reply   
You may get more responses if you post this in the boats and accessories area of wakeworld: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183

Question - You said you are worried the Supra SA is too large but you put a larger 23 LSV on your list. Are you worried about length, weight, or something else? Any reason you are not considering another G21? Perhaps you just want to try something different? Do you have a specific budget in mind? Do you surf at all or only wakeboard?
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-16-2020, 4:09 AM Reply   
Juniorhawk, I have a 230 and absolutely love the boat but my main complaint is that I have to run it at a higher speed for wakeboarding than I would prefer. I'd rather be at 20 to 21 mph and I run it around 22.5 to 23.5 because otherwise the wake starts to wash out. I had a 2001 and 210 before and was able to slow both of them down much more but still have the same great wake shape. I love the 230 wake though. It sounds like you're a 230 expert and maybe I'm doing something wrong. Do you have any advice on how to slow the boat down and still get a fantastic wake?
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-16-2020, 6:39 AM Reply   
Might want to consider a 2015+ Axis A22. It has a good consistent wake.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       01-16-2020, 7:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshugan View Post
Juniorhawk, I have a 230 and absolutely love the boat but my main complaint is that I have to run it at a higher speed for wakeboarding than I would prefer. I'd rather be at 20 to 21 mph and I run it around 22.5 to 23.5 because otherwise the wake starts to wash out. I had a 2001 and 210 before and was able to slow both of them down much more but still have the same great wake shape. I love the 230 wake though. It sounds like you're a 230 expert and maybe I'm doing something wrong. Do you have any advice on how to slow the boat down and still get a fantastic wake?
Hi there! Any boat is going to start to wash out at that speed. I had a 210 and 2 x SN 2001's and even with minor with ballast weight I don't think I've ever seen a peaky wake at less than 20mph. For awhile some pros were riding at like 26-28mph which is insane to me. I ride at about 22. It's a personal preference thing but I think this is going to be a consistent issue with any boat at that speed.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-16-2020, 11:29 AM Reply   
i owned a 210, my buddy owned a 230, and now i have a g21...we like to ride 21-ish...which is about the minimum full ballast g21 can go for clean wake. maybe you adjust ncrs maybe a bit slower....

230 was very bad. that is why my buddy sold it, and he got an a22, which is best wake for the $$$. he sold that to a friend and got the a24. the axis boats are clean down to a super low mph, like 16/17...axis got more bow rise than the nautique stuff.

230 is the worst, josh is right. to stay clean gotta go over 22 mph.

i would NOT own a 230, cause as soon as you got a kid you want to go slow with it is bad, and the wash kind of scares them.

and i don't know jack about much else, except mastercraft got too much bow rise too, imho.