Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (okcrashhighlight)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-13-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
Had this discussion last night, and i have always been a always stay in the bindings kind of guy. One of the Hoffman sisters said in her interview that you should always be able to come out on a bad crash. I have always been told that coming out of the binding is worse than staying in. Especially if only one leg comes out. What is your personal preference?

(Message edited by okcrashhighlight on March 13, 2008)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-13-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
I like coming out learning new tricks.... I seriously hate throwing somethings because I know I won't come out and the fall almost certain. I wish I had my old murrays learning some stuff... it would make me much less gun shy.

I am riding Drivers now and I took a real bad spill - (puked, spit up blood, still have bruises on my back) on a Pete the other day, didnt even budge from the boot... it would have been much less painfull if I would have come out
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-13-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
Yea, if you ask me I prefer to come out. I think you risk injury a lot more if you stay in. And it just seems to hurt more when I stay in.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
Last summer was my first in 11 years of riding with bindings you don't come out of and had a few of my hardest falls. I never had a problem with only 1 foot coming out. BTW, do you come out of Factions anyone? Thinking of them for this summer.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-13-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
I'd rather just release out, but my favorite is the one foot halfway out, other foot all the way out - those hurt the most
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-13-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
One in and one out is the worst, but you have no control over that. I would MUCH rather come all the way out on hard falls than to stay in.
Old     (rc005)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-13-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
i def want to come out on hard falls.. also seems like it would be better on your joints and such
Old     (dan_k)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-13-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
when i was learning a tantrum my foot came out of one and half out the other while upside down ha and that really hurt but this year im riding with the new ONE binders and tightening them :-)
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
...I prefer to stay in and have been injury free since the day that I got bindings that keep me in Some people on my boat have done some solid face plants...with the board coming off........they still didn't feel to well! Its a tough call...but I have had a great experience staying in...but then again I am also no pro.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-13-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
Nick, if you ever want to come out of your bindings, riding slingshots is definitely not the way to go lol But yeah a bad back edge on a pete is a real biatch
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-13-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
I've never tried a binding that I couldn't come out of. I've used 3DS & 07 Slingshot and pretty much every CWB. You stack hard enough and you will come out. Thats how it should be, small falls stay in, big falls get ejected. Personally I like to stay in on all but the hardest falls, but prefer more flexible bindings. I think it comes down to having a boot that helps eliminate heel lift while still maintaining flexibility. Enter Hinge Tech.

(Message edited by stephan on March 13, 2008)
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-13-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
I'd rather come out. But I don't, Ha Ha. I like to ride with my bindings pretty tight so my feet don't move at all and a side effect is I don't come out on falls, and I've had some bad ones. I was riding Factions and I NEVER came out of them. I picked up some Answers for this year so I guess we'll see how those go. I doubt I'll come out of them either though!
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-13-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
I want to stay in my boots as much as possible but there are those falls where you catch an edge really hard and you need to come out of the boots. I have never really had a problem with only one leg coming out but I hate it when you only come half way out of the boots, that's the worst.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-13-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
You can always tell you had a bad wreck the last time you rode when you go to put to put on your board and see that the bindings are still laced up and ratched tight. Kind of brings back flashbacks.

(Message edited by bmartin on March 13, 2008)
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-13-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
^Haha thats so true!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-13-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
^ Agreed. I'm always amazed at how my foot can even come out when I see how tight I have the bindings cranked down when they are still laced up.

I would rather stay in. I like my boots really tight, so the occasional harder crash of staying in is worth the trade off. That and I have 2005 Murray bindings, and it would be a royal pain to do the lace, BOA, and strap on every fall.
Old    justinh            03-13-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
Everyone who has had a major leg injury list how your feet were situated after the spill.

Torn ACL: Both in
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-13-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
Broken ankle. Both in.
Old    cougar4            03-13-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
broken ankle as well. one in one out.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
I did not come out of my CWB bindings last year on a really bad 360 crash and dislocated my shoulder. I have the new slingshot D2s now and i took the inner brace out and i dont tighten the bottom lace only the top. We will see how those work.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-13-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
Yah, i love my SHANES but I hate knowing that i wont come out.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-13-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
I'm like Chase about the Shane bindings. I hate not coming out. I came up short on a 360 and didn't come out of my bindings, and I thought my legs were going to rip off at the hips.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
if the crash is hard enough your feet will find a way to come out thas just my experiance no injurys yet but i thought id never come outta my ronix ones but sure enough i ate sh$t one day and came right out and they were as tight as i can get em
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-13-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
Torn ACL and meniscus(sp) on my left knee, and severe sprain of my right knee. Both times only one foot stayed in.

I would much rather stay in for most spills. However, if you take a fall that is hard enough, both feet should come out.

Jruss- do you think that you dislocated your shoulder because you stayed in the boots?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-13-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
Torn PCL: One in, one out.

Personally, I think if you ride with your bindings loose so that you will come out on a bad spill, you have a higher risk of one in, one out.

I would rather be locked in and not risk one in, one out. In the 5 years since tearing my PCL I have ridden locked in and have never come out of my boots. I'm riding the Zeus these days and I'm not sure I could come out of those if I wanted to?
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-13-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
In for sure I rock my bindings super tight
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
badly sprained ankle (out 5 months ,tore all the small bones in the ankle apart).....one in one out.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-13-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
Broken fibula in 06, wearing 06 parks bindings. all last year i was so timid riding, didn't learn 1 new thing last year i was so timid. Any of ya'll have any problems "gettin back on the horse" so to speak without bein timid on the water?
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-13-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
fractured tibial plateau.
both in.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-13-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
never broken anything *yet*... but i am still mostly timid to try new stuff. I can get the air necissary for most any trick in the book i suppose. just a bit of a "pansy" who likes to go big... while "rooted" to my bindings.

I have tried to train myself to grab the board with my hands if ever i end up in a one in one out
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
charles I also had the tibial plateau....but that was on a clean landing casing the wake....coming out of the bindings wouldn't of helped....I am not sure coming out could prevent that injury...it has more to do with a down force upon landing.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
.....sippi ..if the doc says your good to go your good to go......I was back riding after my tibial plateau (it was a minor break) after 7 weeks....just eased in to it but then you just have to forget about it..I doubt you will break it in the same spot again...but maybe another!

sorry kinda hijacked
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-13-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
I busted some ribs on a rail... but in retrospect it was me being completely stupid... I had no trouble hitting the same rail again, i just made sure I wasn't stupid
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-13-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
when i was trying some 3 stuff last summer i'd leave the top strap on the 3DS off in case i took a bad edge catch. I guess it all depends on the fall, but i will say one thing! I'd rather have both feet come out than only one. no lie
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
Torn ACL, both in but coming out wouldn't have made it any better as it was the force of the landing that did the trick.
Old     (savage)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
I like coming out. Last year I had a bad crash and only my back foot came out. Pretty much did the splits and about tore my groin.
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-13-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
I have cracked my ankles coming out and staying in. I prefer having my ankle out of the binding after I wreck myself. It hurts like hell when you have everyone assisting you while trying to get out. Its a lot easier saying "I am done!" and in the boat you go.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-13-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
Concur with everything Stephan said, exept the Hinge Tech, I prefer my Murrays'
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-13-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
broken ankle both in, broken jaw both in
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
Some kind of ligament sprain, pain lasted 7 months before a cortizone shot, doctors couldn't pinpoint it, both feet in. Then I got back up and kept riding... I'm so smart. But I don't think my feet coming out would have changed anything. My knee still would have been twisted as my feet came out of the bindings, so fair game.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-13-2008, 9:17 PM Reply   
Kyle, I know what you mean, believe me.... Pete's and going out the front on TS 5's (on axis) are the worst falls you can take.

I had shanes before the drivers and thought those were locked in, the heel lockdown lace could also be called the "No-way in hell are you coming out lace"

the screws are pulling out of the board or a lace will break before I come out.... or my leg will just pull off.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-13-2008, 9:59 PM Reply   
since my ankle's not fully healed i'm going to wanna come out on almost every fall.

Not going to be trippin, hinge techs FTW
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-14-2008, 6:28 AM Reply   
I actually prefer to stay in. Nothing worse than having one foot come out and the other stay in as it is hard on my old knees.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-14-2008, 6:39 AM Reply   
I would rather come completely out. I suffered a Lisfranc fracture in my foot because I had one in, one halfway out....pop....no good.
Old    willytown12            03-14-2008, 6:41 AM Reply   
I prefer to be both in or both out, i hate it when just one comes out
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-14-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
Michael, I know exactly what you mean! ive been hurt playin soccer but never lost confidence when i came back. For some reason the confidence is shot though coming back from that one with wakeboarding. I'm a frappin psychology major and know what I'm "suppose" to be doing and thinking. But that's alot different than actually doing it. I've definitely had the "pansy" syndrome too. But lately its been getting better, and gaining confidence back, slowly but surely.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-14-2008, 1:55 PM Reply   
With the old CD lace up boots you absolutely would not come out. I never thought too much about it till I had a pair of those.

I got lit up sooo bad on sooo many occasions in those boots. If I stack hard enough I definitely want out of the bindings. The final straw was bruising the top of my feet on a hard crash because they couldn't get pulled clear of the binding. I also ripped the inserts out of a board and I swear I made myself an inch taller.

I'd never had my joints in my knees and hips sore after a crash before, but the CD's did it.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-14-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
i like to stay in but trust me when the board comes off you know you messed up. i actually ripped a pair of liquid force transits when i tore my MCL. no fun.

i had a knee that snapped sidways, broken binding and a rocked brain.. not a fun day,
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-14-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
both feet in, torn ACL