Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-10-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
Where is the best place to camp at shasta. Are there spots close to the water for tent camping?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-10-2008, 9:03 PM Reply   
I like Antlers, mooring, store, showers, nice camp grounds.
Old     (wakeboardmatt)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-11-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
When the lake is low, it makes it really easy to camp right next to the lake, but when it is up, it makes it a little tougher. One of my favorite is up in Herz (?sp?) bay. There are great campsites, and the launch is only about 1/2 a mile from the campgrounds, plus I think you can walk to the water. It is a windy drive, and kindof a pain to get to, but it is awesome once you get there. Other than that all I can really say is I would stick to the McCloud arm, or the Sacramento arm of the lake though. There are lots of little coves and places with calm water.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-11-2008, 4:27 PM Reply   
Arbuckle Flat is my favorite place, which is just before the no ski zone on the Pit River. It is boat in camping only, but at least you do not have the noise associated with car camping. Watch out for bears no matter where you camp. No coolers left out or food of any kind. They will venture through the campsites in broad daylight. Feed a bear, kill a bear.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-11-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
Best boat in tent camping is at Kamloops campground. Five minute ride from Hirz Bay launch up the McCloud Arm. I've camped all over Shasta and this is the hidden jewel of the lake.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-11-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
I was hoping to moore the boat close to camp so I can keep an eye on it. The downside of a nice stereo is ya gotta watch it.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-12-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
Ellery Creek is a nice campground and close to the water when the water is up, it is down the McCLoud Arm past Hirz Bay. The campground is pretty remote so not a lot of campers and boats and great riding.
Upload
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       03-12-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
steve ellery creek is almost imposible to get a spot in. unless your going in august when the water back there is ridiculously low. the mccould bridge campsite is right on the water in a 5 mph area which is quite nice and right by the bridge for you adrenaline junkies
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-12-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
Very true Charley, but when you can get in to a spot when the water is high especially a spot next to the water, its awesome. McCloud Bridge is also a nice spot just have to be careful about water depth.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-12-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
Another vote for Arbuckle. It doesn't hurt that the best water can be found there either.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-12-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
I camped at Lakeshore East last year which is near Antlers and they have yurts (sp?). It was pretty nice. Had to launch out of Antlers, but it is only a 5 min trip to the launch. I wouldn't recommend keeping the boat on the water just because of the traffic and the campground is on a rock cliff face. Not that easy to get down to the water. That and if you are really hell bent on partying the B******* is right down the road for local entertainment!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-12-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
Go towards Arbuckle. You can find camping places all over there inside all the fingers. Best thing about that side, is that you have Jones Valley and Silverthorne right around the corner for everything you might need.

Last place I camped was the first finger to the right(right across from the floating bathroom on the left side ) once you enter that long finger after you pass Jones valley it will be the first inlet to your right. If you go all the way to the end, theres lots of flat grassy areass to put up your tent. The bext thing about it is the LOOOOng narrow finger you will have all to yourself to ride in right infront of your camp.

Heres a pic of that finger.

Upload
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-12-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
Gregory beach is another option if you dont want to do boat in camping. Also depending on the time of year polution point is ok, just not on a big weekend. I hate boat in camping its just too hard on the boat and if someone gets hurt (espesially one of the kids) I just dont feel comfortable being that far from a vehicle. Campground wise you just cant beet Antlers.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-13-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Sparky Jay Shhhh! Don't tell the world! I'll be there June 21st. Can't wait hopefully the lake will be close to full 80 deg. air temp and 70 plus water temp. Thanks for all your help with the boat last time!!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-13-2008, 8:48 PM Reply   
Might see you there Engle! How many in your party? Probably ten in ours and two boats. You still rockin the Nauty. OK, lets stop talkin about it.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-14-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
poor man's houseboat....patio boat. BBQ, bathroom and room to carry a bunch-o-stuff. Works as a good compromise for us as the wife can stay out of the dirt and the kids can be in the dirt. We've "camped" on them as well as used them as a base station with tents on shore (larger group).
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-14-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
Sparky don't forget the camp is closed down from June 25- 30 for the convention. We might have as many as 20. Most are non wakeboarders.The arm is 3/4 to the camp as of 2 days ago. The old boat has new wiring so runs pretty well.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-14-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
Arbuckle flat is very nice. Can't beat the water conditions.