Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (tkvaale)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-03-2017, 12:52 PM Reply   
Hello all, my brother and I bought a 2008 mastercraft X45 3 years ago and have dialed it in to be a pretty good Wakesurfing boat. We really liked it until we recently surfed a 2012 Mastercraft X30. The things we liked about that boat versus ours was the wave was much better (comparable length, but much taller) without having to pump 3000+ pounds of water into it (including 1000 lb on the front seat on our x45), the engine was quieter and was easier to hear the music when surfing (we only have 2 tower speakers vs the x30 had 4 which also helped), we weren't able to surf a full morning so I don't know how much gas it goes through, but our x45 burns through gas like crazy when surfing presumably because it's weighted down so much, and lastly the x30 had the surf exhaust that made our ride more enjoyable as well. We are looking to purchase a newer boat in the spring of 2018 or 2019. We do not do a lot of wakeboarding so Wakesurfing is our number 1 priority. In order of priority, here are the things we are looking to upgrade that we do not have on our boat:
Wave is priority #1, whether it has surf gate or we use detachable tab (mission delta or nauticurl)
All ballasts plumbed in without having any sitting on floor or seats (I presume we need a boat with a deeper hull in order to get something without a ballast on front seats)
Better gas consumption
Quieter engine
Surf exhaust
And lastly an upgraded cockpit which I assume will be almost standard if we upgrade from an 08 to 2012 or newer.
We often have 12+ people on our boat and would like to have plenty of room, we are very tall as are our friends so keep that in mind.

Our budget is 80-100k and would like something that we could keep for a long time if we take good care of it (quality is very important).

The boats we were most interested in are (in no particular order):
Mastercraft x23
Nautique g23
Malibu M235 (I know it's out of our budget for the time being)
Centurion FS44
Supra SE550
Pavati (again out of our price range for now)

What is your feedback on these boats given what our top priorities are (please include specific years of respective boats)? Are there any other boats that I should add to our shopping list? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you and happy surfing.

Side Note: i have heard of people bumping their head on boat towers at 6'1" tall. Keep in mind we are 6'6" and 6'4" and would like any tips you can provide on things like that.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-05-2017, 9:40 PM Reply   
You could get the new Fi 23 from Centurion for that price. It's a great surf boat and actually does everything else well too. The Supra Se boats are also fab performers but you aren't getting a new boat for that price. In fact the only boat on that list you could get new would be the Centurion.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       10-06-2017, 6:53 AM Reply   
you might be able to find a leftover SE450 for just under $100K. Definitely not a 550 though
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       10-07-2017, 7:57 PM Reply   
You cannot get a new FI23 for $100k or under. MSRP for fully loaded FI is $130k with trailer and will actually cost you about $115k. (know cause I just priced one). That is an incredible boat for sure...if you buy in 2019 then you may get a 2018 leftover for $100k. I think those boats are gonna sell great tho and leftovers may be hard to come by, time will tell.

But along with the Fx44 you mentioned....also consider an SV244. You will want Ramfill and CATS, so 2014-2016 and you can easily find this within your budget. My ZR409 engine on my 2014 averages under 5GPH on fuel while surfing with all the below listed ballast, 11.2mph @ 3400rpm (this PCM engine is rated for 87 octane which is another $ saver). Engine was pretty quite before, but I also added the fresh air exhaust (surf pipe) just to get the exhaust into the prop wash since we do almost nothing but surf...its super quiet and you hear the water bubbling to surface more than exhaust noise now. I have 2 REV-8 tower speakers and its more than enough for anything I would ever do. Easy to hear even when wakeboarding. Hidden ballast = Ramfill is 2500lbs (45 seconds), PnP bags at 700 each adds 1400 in rear and 500 bag in bow (5mins max to fill all). 4,400lbs of hidden ballast. I also keep 300-400lbs of lead on boat and with 2 people will put out a professional quality/size surf wave. More people and I usually remove lead, once I have 8 people I don't even fill Ramfill all the way cause wave will get so steep it will crash over the sundeck. You dont need this much weight, I just like to have the biggest wave possible, so I maxed it out. I use Nauticurl suck gate on mine and it has super clean wave with a ton of push...weight in the bow makes it nice and long but still almost waist high from trough and easy to pull airs and ride the 15ft long sweet spot. I may install GSA surf tabs on my boat this winter so I can start working on transfers and heel side surfing (2015 and 2016 has factory QuickSurf tabs already). This boat is rated for 16....so 12 adults is pretty easy. Having a hard time pulling trigger on upgrading to a new one myself cause I love this boat so much, probably just gonna keep it another year or 2 since my warranty runs till 03/2020.

Bottom line, you have a great budget and there are a bunch of awesome boats you could get that still have a good portion of warranty left....and a few new leftovers you could also go for that would be at top of that budget if you are at right place at right time. Usually late fall/winter/early spring at boat shows.
Attached Images

Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       10-08-2017, 6:34 AM Reply   
I agree about a 244! I am on my second one a 14, then a 16. SV hull is a better Hull in my opinion over an FS or Ri

I do not have or use Surf Tabs. wave is amazing especially for not much weight, I put 300 hours a season on our boat.
Attached Images

Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       10-08-2017, 8:13 AM Reply   
If you want to buy new Your choices and your budget are not very similar haha.. listed 2018 G23 and X23 are surely above 120k. SE550 even higher and didn't talk about the other you proposed haha.

From what I see you really should take a look on Nautique 230.
It's a boat that most people underestimate and correctly set it throws an incredible surfwave.

With your use I'll maybe forget mastercraft just because of the price.. good boats but for me mastercraft are overpriced. Maybe not overpriced because everything is top notch on a good MC but the price is much higher than any other brand with same quality or so.
The wave is your primary concern so mastercraft wouldn't be my first choice either.

For the wave I'll definitely go with centurion. Ain't trying Fi series but I domoed a 2017 ri217 and it was my year crush. Would bought it right away if it was not my lake restriction.. can't imagine the stock wave of the ri237. And you could get a fairly good price near your budget if you look at end season leftovers.
PCM engines are my favorite too. Quieter, stronger and good fuel consumption either H6 or zr409.

I was in the same situation as you this summer with pretty the same budget (around 100k) I demoed over 6 boats before making my choice but I was looking for a 21footer.
Tige Z1, Malibu 21vlx, Supra sr, Nautique g21, mastercraft xt21, centurion ri217. All 2017. And that all brands we have near.
Forgot about Tige right away because I had a really bad experience with the dealer even if the wave was great.
i have to say most of them was over my budget.
I found the mastercraft too pricy for what it offers. Like I said everything is top notch but the wave was not that incredible for paying that price when it's your primary thing.
Centurion was my top choice and was kindly fit in my budget but was too heavy for my lake restriction.. centurion made really impressive thing in 2017.
Liked Supra, really. Good overall boat, good look, good quality material, I'm not a fan of simple touch button for surfing but it does the job really good.
Didn't liked the motor tho, not didn't liked but prefered another. Indmar engine looks a little bit cheaper, more noisy and you feel it more.
Malibu is great too, amazing surf wave when you skim style because surfgate not create much push for surfstyle. Not a fan of single touch button and carpet everywhere either haha. but they ste well known to greatly handle big crews. They are really great boats, 80% of wake boats on my lake are wakesetter.
Nautique is personally my top brand, pricy but less than MC and offer the same even better in term of surf quality. The G21 is similar to the centurion but more pricy and after testing a ri217 i would choose it over the g21 with the price difference.
Both have monster stock ballast and produce a monster surf wave, both are big and handle big crews. The new 2018 G series have the new tower taller than before and taller than any another brand.

My choice stopped at Nautique 210, a boat I totally forgot. Nautique seller was concerned about my case, lake restriction and a budget so he offers me to try his own 2017 210. After trying it I totally fell in love with it when I saw the price. 100k flush fully, fully loaded.
PCM motor is quiet, barely hear it and it comes stock with the surfpipe. More powerful than indmar and smoother too.
I do around 3GpH surfing with 87 fuel instead of 89 or 91 with other brand.
Built material and finition is irreproachable.
Stock Surf wave is ok and amazing when we are 5people + on the boat.
The second I take possession of it I swapped both rear ballast bags for 750's (kind of pnp, a 5minutes job) because I'm always just with my wife and my
Little Kid.
With that my wave is perfect. Do the same with the 230 and you will have a hell of a boat that gonna be the nearest of your budget

Good luck!
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-08-2017, 10:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakarocks View Post
You could get the new Fi 23 from Centurion for that price. It's a great surf boat and actually does everything else well too. The Supra Se boats are also fab performers but you aren't getting a new boat for that price. In fact the only boat on that list you could get new would be the Centurion.

Bought a new 2016 SE450 for 95k in July. Doesn’t have Autowake, but I don’t need it. Boat is so so good. Tremendous room and wave. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Last edited by dakota4ce; 10-08-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-09-2017, 6:26 PM Reply   
I've been in a SE450 a couple times and love the boat. Super solid ride, comfort is very nice, huge limo size interior (I have an Axis A24 and jealous of the interior space), wave is very nice and lots of push.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-09-2017, 8:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
I've been in a SE450 a couple times and love the boat. Super solid ride, comfort is very nice, huge limo size interior (I have an Axis A24 and jealous of the interior space), wave is very nice and lots of push.

So true. My MB F24 was a great boat and I loved it. This SE just crushes it. I underestimated how much of an improvement it would be. And I ADORED my Tomcat (had GSA w/ 5400# of dialed awesomeness).

Wave is so strong, and so fun. I am a big dude and it pushes me like a beast.
Old     (tkvaale)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-10-2017, 7:40 AM Reply   
I misspoke when I said 'new' wakesurf boat. I meant new for us. I should have said next wakesurf boat. In 2018 or 2019, we will be looking to purchase a used model with <200 hours, in which case those boats would be within my price range. I understand I will not even be close to purchasing a brand new boat. Disregarding price, I'm interested in your opinions on the things mentioned above. Thank you
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       10-10-2017, 10:00 AM Reply   
I don't have anything newer but this I have been able to ride on a lot of new boats. Got to meet a lot of people, so might boat been sitting in storage last two months sad day. But good news tested a lot of new boats. My first thought would be to tell you for used Malibu all the way. I rode an enzo which was incredible but the Malibu 25lsv 2016 was an animal. If you are looking stock to stock with out adding extra bags in floors or bow, I would go Malibu. The centurion had to add extra weight up front but it still was one of the best wakes. I believe it wAS 23 ft 2015 model. Love the handling too. Malibu, was the best wave I rode being goofy sided. I am a big rider, always been told one of the biggest, and I found it very easy to carve, spin, and effortless rope. I rode behind a 2017 SA supra I think it waa the 440. I thought the wake was the same as my old Malibu or my buddies old supra. Weighted down the same wave. They had to put in extra fat sacs in the floor to get the supra 22 weighted right. I did not care at all for that boat, but on a 2015 Moomba I found it was very decent wave for the boat. Only down side it had manual gates. From the hype in the area, being HQ for most the boats, the new MOOMBA MAX is suppose to blow minds! great wake, and very easy set up and best bang for the buck. I don't think it will have that great of a wake as Malibu, or centurion but for brand new 60k and a good wave, cant beat it. All I been hearing about is the new Moomba max. I look forward to seeing it.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-10-2017, 1:12 PM Reply   
Surf wave? Not Malibu. Out of the box they are good, but certainly not worthy of the praise you’re heaping upon them. Easy, good, fun—yes. Are there stronger? Yes. You are comparing a 25’ Bu vs a 22’ Supra. Of course it was bigger. Now compare a 25’ Bu vs a 25ish foot Supra. That’s a different ballgame.

Any boat if not dialed is susceptible to seeming to not be great. I assure you, Bu isn’t the best. But it is very good. Better goofy than regular as well.

Last edited by dakota4ce; 10-10-2017 at 1:14 PM.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       10-11-2017, 6:53 AM Reply   
I would agree when you say 22 vs 25, but I would still disagree with you. The 22 ft Moomba I rode behind 2015 through out a cleaner wake then the brand new 22 ft supra. Plus, the Moomba didn't have to have bags on the floor like the supra. When I compare boat to boat, I look at pretty much stock, or add ons that I consider aren't a eye sore. Like my boat all the bags in the floor HA. One of the best wakes I seen, but have not ridden behind, I would say is the 23 lsv 2017 Malibu. I would agree with you on probably one part, MALIBU is to expensive. I would buy Moomba because of the price, the quality, and the wave is great for the amount you spend. Now if you were to spend 100k I wouldn't waste it on a supra. I would do Malibu. Yet for a new boat, If the max is anything like the older Moomba 23, and what all the hype around here is, I don't think you would find a better deal then the new MAX.

Also, my advice would be good look at the southern surf fest, I think they did a boat test on several different boats and listed riders preference. I believe they compared boat to boat as in what you get if you buy it stock, not with all the extra weights in the boat like lead weights so on. They tested it apple to apples I think, not apples on steroids to apples, or anything like that . The best you can do is go ride one, you wont find many people that agree on this site. Test all the boats your interested in.
Old     (tkvaale)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-11-2017, 7:28 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately for me, I live in the middle of South Dakota where no one has even heard of wakesurfing, much less are there any dealers to go check out. I would have to drive a great distance to test out a boat. That's why I'm posting this thread so I can get a good idea on the boats I should check out when we make our trip south in the spring to test them. The boats I posted first are what I heard was the best surfing boat for each manufacturer. I will of course go test out several boats before we make our purchase. Thanks for all of the recommendations, keep them coming.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-11-2017, 7:37 AM Reply   
I live in SFalls! Come ride the SE450 if you want. Still in the water at Okoboji.

I have surfed behind a veritable ass load of new boats. I surf every weekend behind a 2017 23LSV, 2016 RZX or my 2016 Supra SE450–or a combo platter of the 3. Also owned a beastly MB F24 with GSA before the Supra. We are nuts; we put 170 hrs on last summer and 190 this summer (still going actually). Happy to chat any time! Needless to say, I have a bank of data and experience on surf waves, boats, dialing, surfboards etc etc etc.
Feel free to ask anything anytime.

Last edited by dakota4ce; 10-11-2017 at 7:44 AM.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-11-2017, 7:50 AM Reply   
My follow up advice would be—if you are serious about surfing, you won’t utilize any boat in stock form. All will do better with dialing—more weight, bigger bags, lead, tab adjustments etc etc etc.

Find out which boats do best in “dialed” form.

And on that subject, there are several dialed boats I would absolutely spend my money on and not feel bad about it at all. There is no perfect answer. All within +/- 10% of each other and great fun to surf behind.
Old     (tkvaale)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-11-2017, 7:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
I live in SFalls! Come ride the SE450 if you want. Still in the water at Okoboji.

I have surfed behind a veritable ass load of new boats. I surf every weekend behind a 2017 23LSV, 2016 RZX or my 2016 Supra SE450–or a combo platter of the 3. Also owned a beastly MB F24 with GSA before the Supra. We are nuts; we put 170 hrs on last summer and 190 this summer (still going actually). Happy to chat any time! Needless to say, I have a bank of data and experience on surf waves, boats, dialing, surfboards etc etc etc.
Will definitely take you up on that next summer! I'm currently trying to move to Sioux Falls so I can get to Boji more often.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       10-11-2017, 7:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNwakeboarder86 View Post
I don't have anything newer but this I have been able to ride on a lot of new boats. Got to meet a lot of people, so might boat been sitting in storage last two months sad day. But good news tested a lot of new boats. My first thought would be to tell you for used Malibu all the way. I rode an enzo which was incredible but the Malibu 25lsv 2016 was an animal. If you are looking stock to stock with out adding extra bags in floors or bow, I would go Malibu. The centurion had to add extra weight up front but it still was one of the best wakes. I believe it wAS 23 ft 2015 model. Love the handling too. Malibu, was the best wave I rode being goofy sided. I am a big rider, always been told one of the biggest, and I found it very easy to carve, spin, and effortless rope. I rode behind a 2017 SA supra I think it waa the 440. I thought the wake was the same as my old Malibu or my buddies old supra. Weighted down the same wave. They had to put in extra fat sacs in the floor to get the supra 22 weighted right. I did not care at all for that boat, but on a 2015 Moomba I found it was very decent wave for the boat. Only down side it had manual gates. From the hype in the area, being HQ for most the boats, the new MOOMBA MAX is suppose to blow minds! great wake, and very easy set up and best bang for the buck. I don't think it will have that great of a wake as Malibu, or centurion but for brand new 60k and a good wave, cant beat it. All I been hearing about is the new Moomba max. I look forward to seeing it.

Funny how the best surfer in the world (Parker) rides a Supra SA, Are you sure you had the boat set up right?
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-11-2017, 8:47 AM Reply   
Doesn’t seem likely. The wave is excellent! Malibu is a clear third place on our weekend menu of waves as described above. The Malibu owner even says it himself. Don’t get me wrong, his boat is great, just not quite at the same wave level. But we still ride it and love it on the regular.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       10-11-2017, 10:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockthis View Post
Funny how the best surfer in the world (Parker) rides a Supra SA, Are you sure you had the boat set up right?
That is a great point but at the same time, the best female surfer in the world rides a centurion. I think we are missing that what is just as important as the boat is the surf board. The board makes a huge difference too! Just because the best rider rides something doesn't always mean its the best. Nick saban only is seen with Coke, but yet its terrible for you!! plus Pepsi is better!!! I miss sodas!
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-11-2017, 3:16 PM Reply   
I think you missed his point—he is saying Supra doesn’t suck as evidenced by the fact that Parker Payne rides behind one.

He is saying you’re poo-poo of Supra is likely unfounded.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       10-11-2017, 8:40 PM Reply   
Not many new boats out there that put out a pro level surf wake stock (there are a few tho like the RI257, etc)....manufactures cant sell them with the amount of weight they should run cause it will reduce the ratings they advertise....so you have to add weight after the fact to get the most out of boat. ALL boats require some dialing, lead, etc to get wave really nice (even RI257 owners are adding 1000lbs of lead to max it out). Are the stock boats still fun and work just fine for many people, of course and most of the new boats are fairly close to each other like dakota4ce said with some being better than others....There is a lot to be said about the person driving knowing how to dial in the stock wave. That alone makes a HUGE difference. ie: I rode a new RI237 with almost 5000lbs of stock weight not long ago that was not great due simply to the fact that dealer did not yet know how to set up boat properly....he swore it did not need any bow ballast put in and because he didn't add the bow weight (even tho I told him he was wrong cause I own a Centurion and know they like bow weight), it created a weird, abrupt trough 5ft behind the swim platform that would pearl your board every time unless you came down the wave with a really heavy back foot.....few weeks later I rode one properly set up and it was totally a different animal with a big, fun wave much closer to the wave I have on my boat.

I agree...buy a boat with the plan to dial it.... Even if you are a beginner, you will benefit from a bigger wave simply cause your learning curve will be shorter when you have a big wave with lots of push so you are not constantly washing out the back of wave and once you progress, you will want that bigger wave capability anyway. I bought a surf boat with an already badass wave in Feb of this year and immediately added 500lbs of lead so I had 5000lbs of ballast even tho I could not even throw the rope when I started learning to surf this Spring...tho I have had I/O's all my life and done every other water sport. I also bought a nice Doomswell Neo which also helped shorten the learning curve cause that board is great at recovery. Granted, I put in at least 200hrs on the water this summer surfing, but have come a long ways having a great wave and decent board...and can now air pretty well, carve all day long and doing well at other tricks now too (tho I cant freaking ride out my 360's yet, drives me crazy, lol. Just upgraded to a Soulcraft do I can double my skills next summer (and still have another month of riding here this summer)...went out this afternoon for 4hrs and water temp is still close to 80 degree's here in NC.
Old     (tkvaale)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-12-2017, 6:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips @infinitysurf I'm not saying we won't add any extra ballast, but whatever we add, we will want plumbed in and out of the way. Currently we have 1000 lbs sitting on our front seat and beats the hell out of our upholstery. And another one on the floor in the back. Both of these bags limit the seating room. We don't have any lead, but will for our next boat for sure. That's awesome about your progression though, keep up the good work. Sounds like you have a lot of surfing yet to do this fall if the water is that warm. That's what makes me wanna move farther south in the future to extend my surfing season. But at the same time, snowboarding season is right around the corner up here!
Old     (tkvaale)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-12-2017, 6:59 AM Reply   
Quote:

After talking with my brother a lot, we decided to keep our Mastercraft x45 for one more season and then try to purchase something newer in the spring of 2019. We currently keep our boat at okoboji also. About ten minutes after my reply that I was trying to transfer to Sioux Falls, my boss came in and said that my transfer was approved and I will be moving there later this year. So I will be at boji practically every weekend next summer, would love to have you and your crew out on the X45! Maybe you can give us some pointers to dial our wave in even better! Hope you can get in a few more surf sessions this fall before it gets too cold.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-12-2017, 9:38 AM Reply   
Very nice! SF is my place. Love this town. Happy to surf at the drop of a hat.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       10-12-2017, 1:14 PM Reply   
I feel like I need to move, surfing has still slowly developing. Lot of lakes, but not so much surfing. HA or should I say real good surfing. Seems like its all out west.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-12-2017, 6:49 PM Reply   
Dude if there isn’t much surfing In your area that’s a PLUS. Once your favorite bay has 5 surfers in it you will wish for the old days.

Our surf population has tripled in 4 years and smooth water is getting tougher to find. Count your blessings!
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-12-2017, 6:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkvaale View Post
After talking with my brother a lot, we decided to keep our Mastercraft x45 for one more season and then try to purchase something newer in the spring of 2019. We currently keep our boat at okoboji also. About ten minutes after my reply that I was trying to transfer to Sioux Falls, my boss came in and said that my transfer was approved and I will be moving there later this year. So I will be at boji practically every weekend next summer, would love to have you and your crew out on the X45! Maybe you can give us some pointers to dial our wave in even better! Hope you can get in a few more surf sessions this fall before it gets too cold.

What color is your boat? Ever see us?

Or before July was

Old     (tkvaale)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-15-2017, 7:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
What color is your boat? Ever see us?

Or before July was

This is our blue and yellow x45. I've seen that tomcat on the water before. I've only been to boji 3 times from July onward, so I haven't seen that Supra, but it looks incredible. I bet it throws a killer wave too!
Attached Images

Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-18-2017, 10:58 AM Reply   
I've surfed behind a nautique, malibu, axis, mastercraft, moomba and supra and the Nautique g23 is by far my favorite boat! The wake it pushes out is massive, even with just factory ballast. It's clean, tall and long. Honestly it's really intimidating to cut into when you're wakeboarding, but it is ideal for surfing. The boat itself cuts into waves very smoothly too, and the engine is quiet while you're surfing. I can always hear the music loud and clear too, of course it depends on your speakers though. The only issue is that a new g23 sounds like it's a little out of your price range. But I've been in a 2014 g23 and it works basically just as well as a 2017. So if that's more in your price range, I definitely recommend a g23!
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-18-2017, 7:10 PM Reply   
G23 is a good boat. Early ones ride rough and get you wet.

If you’re on Okoboji, not every boat is suitable. You need sick waves and a dry stable smooth ride.

I have the Supra SE for a distinct set of Okoboji/surfing reasons! You can buy mine in a year or 2–that new SL is really gonna haunt me .
Old     (tkvaale)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-18-2017, 7:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
G23 is a good boat. Early ones ride rough and get you wet.

If you’re on Okoboji, not every boat is suitable. You need sick waves and a dry stable smooth ride.

I have the Supra SE for a distinct set of Okoboji/surfing reasons! You can buy mine in a year or 2–that new SL is really gonna haunt me .
We get wet in our boat frequently on boji, sits very low with that 1000# sac up front. Cant surf after 10 when all the other boats come out. We're going to keep our x45 one more summer most likely, excited to meet up and get some tips from you as we shop for our next boat. That new SL is such a beaut! But your SA looks awesome too!
Old     (tkvaale)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-19-2017, 6:17 AM Reply   
@Dakota4ce correction: SE*
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-20-2017, 3:54 AM Reply   
We love it. Ride is dry as a bone on the worst of the worst days. Cockpit is massive. Wave is at or near the top of what’s possible in 2017. Price was right.

So based on all that, SE is the grand slam for us in this situation.
Old     (tkvaale)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-20-2017, 10:21 AM Reply   
@dakota4ce that is awesome. Can't wait to check it out! With the water traffic being so busy on the weekends at okoboji, are you able to surf during the day with it? We find ourselves surfing from 6am-10am and again when it calms down in the evening. Other than that, the water is too choppy and we get wet or we're bouncing up and down so much that the wave isn't great.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       10-20-2017, 2:58 PM Reply   
For sure. We surf same hours as you. I am going to build a foil board this winter just to see if some fun can be had when the chop is too bad for surfing.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-23-2017, 3:42 PM Reply   
travis sent you a message
Old     (tkvaale)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-31-2017, 2:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
For sure. We surf same hours as you. I am going to build a foil board this winter just to see if some fun can be had when the chop is too bad for surfing.
Nice, we thought about getting one too, but never thought about building one. I would be interested to see how it turns out.
Old     (Jn94defender)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-19-2017, 7:40 PM Reply   
If you want to see some pictures of different waves and surf set ups, you can find some here - https://wakesurfnation.com/boats/
Old     (super1990)      Join Date: Aug 2014       02-25-2018, 8:50 AM Reply   
If surfing is your main sport I would go with a Centurion!!