Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-27-2009, 10:51 PM Reply   
Was killing time today waiting for my truck to get serviced and walked over to a MC dealer. Asked a salesman how much it would cost me to take home a new 2010 X2 and he said $90,000. I laughed and asked him again and he said that was how much they sell them for.

How much are these things really selling for? I don't want one but can't believe they are getting that much for them. This boat did have every option including the video camera and integrated harddrive.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-28-2009, 5:19 AM Reply   
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=815900

this seems more reasonable... If I had to guess, a current year model would be more than this one but 90k for a 20 foot boat?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-28-2009, 5:47 AM Reply   
The dealer I talked to last week was $60-65 depending on the options
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-28-2009, 6:02 AM Reply   
Yea i checked on an 09 x-1 just for the fun of it. It had base options. Dealer wanted 52k and said they had sold them for that. What happened to 39k? Heck after a few options it would be 60k no way for that boat.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-28-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
The MSRP on mine was 88k but I paid waaaaaaaaaay less than that.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-28-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
x-1 hasn't been that cheap for a few years
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-28-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
That dealer is quoting MSRP. You can expect to knock about 30k off that and there is your real price. I was told that the new X2 will be $60-65 depending on features.
Old     (jujube)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-28-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
trying to make up for the losses of last year?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-28-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
The X1 was never that cheap. They advertised it at 39,999 but that didn't include cover, board racks, stereo, front ballast, PP and either was with no trailer or a single axle. So if you actually put the MCX, cover, swivel racks, stereo, PP, tandem trailer, etc.... you were up to 50k in a hurry and that was 4 years ago.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-28-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
^^^ bingo... X-1 hasn't been $39K for a long time since 2006 introduction. Back then it didn't include racks, stereo, dual axle, etc.

However, my local dealer had a bunch of leftover '08 X-1's that they were advertising for $39K just a few weeks ago. So if anybody wants an X-1, I don't think it would be hard to find a local dealer with leftovers to move. That boat doesn't sell that well anymore.

On the X-2, $60 seemed to be the going rate when I was shopping, depending on options.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-28-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
The sales manager at our local MC dealership told us that a 2010 X2 would be $92K optioned like we wanted. He said their product is the most expensive because they are the best. We ended up buying a SANTE 210 with more options for roughly 1/3 less than the X2. At the prices they want for these boats, MC is going to price themselves out of business. Really, $90K for a 20 foot boat? Give me a break!

(Message edited by ctimrun on August 28, 2009)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-28-2009, 11:24 AM Reply   
I When I sold MC 2 years ago the 2007 model X2 ranged from high 50's to mid 60's depending on options. It sounds like they have some fairly expensive options now that they didn't have then. That camera option and the surf tabs have to be pretty expensive. When you add that on to the fact that it is 3 model years later, they have the lcd panel, fold down platform and a few other things they didn't have back then I could easily see mid 60's to mid 70's.

Is 92k before or after tax and license? Even if it is after that is still one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. That means in 3 model years the price of an X2 has increased roughly 25k. Good luck with that.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-28-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
We originally wanted to get into an X15 as I have heard good things about it, however their price started at $104K with very light options. $92K for the X2 was before taxes, lic, and dealer prep fees. The price OTD would have been right around $100K. The sales manager said they are selling these boats for this price. The interesting thing was, we spent many hours on different days at the MC dealership looking at different boats and discussing options and what not. I did not see any other customers walk onto their lot, nor did we ever get interrupted with the sales guys getting phone calls.

A week after I had seen or talked to the MC dealership, we bought our 210. The very next day the MC guys called me and said they would be willing to take $4K off of their price, bringing the price down to $88K plus tax, lic, and prep fees. I told them that is way off what I was willing to pay for a 20' boat. If they have so many people willing to pay their asking price, why are they calling me back with a lower price, even though $88K is still an absolute joke for that boat.

(Message edited by ctimrun on August 28, 2009)
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-28-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
Dave B that is much more reasonable, however I would want a few more options which would prolly bring the price up a few thousand, but still much more reasonable. Our local MC dealership said that to get into an X star we would be looking at upwards of $120K. I know there are people with more money than brains, but I don't see how anyone in their right mind would go pay $120K for a 22' boat when you can have just as much fun with another MFG's product for half the price.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
Is this 90K X2 a saltwater series or something? I know that adds a lot of cost to the boat, but that still seems way out of line.

I looked at an 08 here in MN this spring, and I think it was around 54K.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-28-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
Tim, what mastercraft dealer is this?
Old     (blink183)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-28-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
WOW! Head on down to Vonore and visit the MC factory and you will really see what you can buy one for. It's no where near the prices you are quoting here. Just go on down, pick your boat out and work out a deal directly with the factory.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-28-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
Charlie, this MC dealership had/has some 08 demo boats with anywhere from 50 to 400 hours on them that are priced more in that range, but if the demo boats are anything like a demo vehicle, I would shy away from them.

Brett, it is SoCal's only MC dealership, California Skier. I have some more info about them that I won't put in a forum because I don't want to bash them, but if anyone is going to buy from them send me a message and I will tell you about our experience with them.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-28-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
The only way that boat should cost that much is if it comes with a kilo of pure columbian coke.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
No, this wasn't a demo boat....Left-over 2008, 0 hours. It was black and red, just like that one Dave B posted, but it had a red deck, which flowed down inside the boat, it was very sharp. Almost bought it, but Corey at Midwest brought it out, and there was no way that tower was going in my 7' garage door. (Major mistake on Mastercraft's part, to build a 20' "garage friendly" boat that won't go into a standard 7' garage door.) So, I held onto my old Supra for another year, but might end up buying a Malibu VTX this winter. If I can find an 08-09 with the Illusion XS tower that will fit in my door, otherwise the new 2010 will too.
Old     (wakescv)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-28-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
I got a brand new 08 X2 pretty much loaded for 57K out the door 2 months ago.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-28-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
Charlie - Fitting our boat into a 7' high garage opening was also a major factor for us. On the X2 and X15 if you fold the tower down and remove the rear tower supports from the boat both of them will fit in a 7' high opening, its just a little more work.

The VTX/VLX with the XS tower will also fit if you remove the highest portion of the folded tower with the special tool Malibu supplies with the boat.

My SANTE 210 with the Titan tower fits just by folding the tower down, so there is no extra steps to get it into my garage, which is a major plus for me.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-28-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
Shaun, that seems very reasonable for brand new, nice work. For whatever reason this local dealership didn't want to deal. I could have gone to Houston MC and picked up an 09 X15 for $65 plus tax, lic, prep fees, but I wasn't thrilled with the color or the distance, especially since I would have to deal with California Skier for warranty work.
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-28-2009, 7:32 PM Reply   
That dealer was yanking your crank. That is not what the boats sell for.

I have an 09' X2. My MSRP was around 85 or so, but I paid under 65.

MCX, Bimini, custom cover, 4 tower speakers w/ lights, IPOD, transom remote, rear step, plate, heater, heated seats, shower, bow filler, metallic gel, solid bottom color, single axle trailer, Zero Off (full 3 event version)

Also - the boat fits in my 7 ft tall by 106" wide garage bay. Takes some doing, but it fits - and I do not have to remove the rear portion of tower from boat. It should have been called 'garage possible' not 'garage friendly'
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-29-2009, 9:01 PM Reply   
The dealer may have been yanking my crank, but ultimately he lost a sale because of it. It actually worked out for the best though, I know I would have been happy with either boat as far as performance and wake, but I think the SANTE 210 (styling not as flashy) fits our family very well.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-30-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
I think the dealers are told to bs you like that looking for a sucker. I beg to differ on the x1 prices. In 06 I was offered one for 36k with trailer racks stereo ballast etc. it was just too ugly. I ended up buying one for 40k brand new that was pretty well loaded. So to tell me that they now cost 52k for a stripped down version is just wrong.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
It amazes me the difference in prices from dealer to dealer. Why would it not be more consistent? Seems some dealers are taking advantage of their situation.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-30-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
Matt, they cost 39k for a stripped down version, they get to be like 52kish with some nice options.

Rich- some areas people can just pay the price and those dealers can make 25points on a boat to suckers and new boaters that want the Mastercraft name that bad.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
I think the Mfgs are using semi-monopolistic dealer set ups. Its not that the people who can afford to pay the prices want to pay the price. I feel we as consumers find the boat we want then were pigeon holed into that Mfgs local area dealer and have no choice to pay the price the dealer is asking. I know overall boating is a small market and the dealers need to keep the doors open but it seems like the price differences people on this board are talking about are huge. What keeps me from driving 1000 miles to save 20+K on a boat? Why don't dealers compete? Thats what makes me feel the market is fixed. I think the Mfgs figured out long ago no matter how low or high the price is they will sell about the same amount of boats. What keeps them from exploiting that fact? Dont get me wrong I am describing myself here. I love my boat Im just thinking out loud and I know someone will explain it and maybe Ill believe them!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-30-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
Some people are honestly like that thought, and in southern california I definitely believe it. Some people walk in and say I want the boat tomorrow, so then to finish prepping it, check all the systems once or twice, do the paperwork, go to the DMV, etc... it comes out to full sticker. And some dealers do compete, but if you start selling boats in another persons territory then there can be disputes and thats not something you want in a dealer network.

Some mfgs could still sell a chunk of boats no matter the price, BUT, to excel in boat sales they know they have to keep them below 100k for the most part. Also, alot of time there are people that have no problem buying a loaded supra, but really want a MC. Thats when its up to the dealer to work hard to get there prices as low as they want. At some dealerships the sales people want the sale, they want the residual service for winterization, etc... and then other people like this other dealership just dont care, and since they have a monopoly of a good brand in a rich area they can survive on relatively low numbers with high prices. I personally would drive across country to save 20-35k on a new boat, but people who make good 6 figure yearly salaries, they dont care and would rather just spend 100k and have the boat the next day for the family because it truthfully can be an impulse buy.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
While I agree with most of that Dan, I am in that salary range(in Ca it doesn't make you well off). I didn't buy a new boat for years as I felt they were just too expensive. I took advantage of a big dealer going under and another stuck with a bunch of boats that would soon be two years old instead of last years models. I feel the price I paid(supposedly dealer invoice) was a deal I would never see again so I jumped. But walking in and paying more where one lives vs driving a few days seems to be a no brainer(can you say ROAD TRIP)! The dealer territorial rights definitely proliferate the pricing differences.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-30-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
We are a dual income family, both my wife and I bring in three figured incomes, but like Rich said it doesn't make us wealthy in SoCal. I could have went and paid the asking price they wanted of over $100K for the X15 I was originally interested in, but I would not have felt good about it. I bought my house for $240K 10 years ago here in SoCal, there was no way I was going to pay almost half of what I paid for my house. I would have bought a 15 year old boat and felt good about it before I paid what they were asking for a new one.

I actually called around to different Mastercraft dealerships all over the country, most of them very eager to make a deal with me. I did come across two dealers who told me I needed to buy from my local dealership. What a joke! I think the boating industry is doing themselves no favors by raising prices like they have, and making people use "their local" dealer where that dealer is then empowered to force them to pay the ridiculous asking prices for the boat the family is interested in.

I think the auto industry is very sleezy but at least there is some sort of checks and balances for the consumers as they can shop one dealer against the other for the same product.