Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (jenk2board)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-16-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
We have had our 06 VLX for one season now. I have noticed that when the bow tank is full, it rides very low in the water. With a couple of people up front, I have to be very careful not to bring on any water, even just slowing the boat down to pick up a rider. I read of people on hear adding tons of weight to the front of this same boat. Does anyone else have this problem? I always read about the importance of adding weight to the front of this boat. Any feedback? Thanks
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-16-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Welcome to owning an inboard! Yep, most people have the same issue. If you normally have a bunch of people up there in the bow, then don't fill up the bow tank. That boat does like weight in the front, but it probably won't be too bad to drop a little if you're dipping it just letting off the throttle.
Old     (jenk2board)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-16-2008, 8:30 AM Reply   
We had a Supra before, that didn't ride as low as this one. I guess one of the benefits of automatic ballast is to be able to empty some with the flip of a switch.
Thanks
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-16-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
if ur riding that low u dont have enough fat sac weight in the back compartment. u probably just have the two hard tanks back there.

more weight in the back compartments and just get used to shutting down all the way before u turn to go get rider and u wont take any over the front. and your wake will be much better.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-16-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
Add weight to the back of the boat.

When you pick up a rider, slow down to idle/neutral. Right before the boat is almost at neutral, turn the wheel to the all the way to the left. The prop wash will push the back end of the boat to the right making the turn to the left easier. Tap reverse then go forward to the left back to your rider.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-16-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
I'm almost in agreement with VLX Envy, when coming off plane I turn the boat slightly to the right. The turn helps keep the nose above the surface. The reason I turn to the right is to keep the rider on the drivers side and make sure I never lose sight of of them. Plus I like to high five people after a good crash.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-16-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
I got an lsv and have the same problem. I agree with the previous posts, I usually turn to the left as soon as I let off the gas. Mine does the same thing, If the front tank is full and I have anyone up front, just idling will bury the nose, that's even with extra weight in the back. I've learned to deal with it.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-16-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
One small downside to the amazing VLX. Ours is the same way. We even weight it about 60/40 rear/front but even still with the stock 1250, a 725 sack in the walkthrough and 4 or more people, the bow rides like 6 inches off the water at idle. Any legitimate boat wake will come crashing over the front, especially if coming off a plane (then we're like 3 inches off the water). The key is to do something like VLX Envy said (come to a stop before turning around works too) but you just gotta be alert, if you see any wakes just give it a little juice. It brings the nose up enough where you'll plow right over the wakes and keep the passengers dry. While it is a little annoying, I love when I have to do that, because that means the wake is sick!
Old     (nosebleed)      Join Date: Apr 2004       12-16-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
Anyone have any experience with the new hull on the 09 VLX?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-16-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
Yup the main reason why I turn to the left is so I can pop it in reverse (which goes to the right). It makes the turn that much quicker.
Old     (jenk2board)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-16-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
I always turn to the right as well. I guess I will have to live with it. I never turn to the left, but I might have to try it.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-16-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
Brady - One of Supras trademarks is a high bow. I don't ride in many new boats but even my old SunSport NEVER swamps even with 700lbs in the bow. WM
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-16-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
i never have a problem with the lsv i have bow ballast then add the bow triangle sac up front with 700 or so pounds in it. i never have a problem with it. just gotta be alert and it is well worth the set up cause weight equals wake size.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-16-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
Danny it has nothing to do with being alert. With just stock weight and a couple people in the front my nose buries itself even with extra weight in the back idleing.

(Message edited by jv210 on December 16, 2008)
Old     (jenk2board)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-17-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
It's definitely not due to a lack of experience or being alert. We have had a boat for the last twenty years, and an inboard for the last five. This boat just seems to ride a lot lower up front than any other boat I have had or been on.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-17-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
I have an '05 VLX and even the most experienced drivers have buried the nose in the thing. If the front tank is full and there are people in the bow, the VLX rides super low and it is difficult to prevent taking on water. The nose just rides super low.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       12-17-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
our '06 is the same when loaded. I have to be careful, but aren't you always supposed to be careful? I leave 400 in lead up there almost all the time, when the rest of the tanks are empty it rides really really low sometimes. I tend to top off the rear built ins on rough days just to keep it even if we're not riding. It's not too often we just cruise in it though.
Old     (bigkitch)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-22-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
Upload

Your complaining? My whole boat is a lowrider.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-22-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-22-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
Low is the go. Just learn to rock it.
Upload
Upload
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-22-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
I find this surprising. Sounds like they took a step back from the older (96-04) VLX hull in the nose-dipping dept.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-22-2008, 3:41 PM Reply   
Its not a good day here in Sac until Uncle Jessie washes his bow speakers!! lmao
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-31-2008, 8:52 PM Reply   
I've ridden in a few vlx's with all with over #1000's of lead in the nose + bow tank... sure the nose dips low when you stop, but if you do what vlx and heavy said, you should never take on water... unless you are in bad chop, in that case, pack it up and go home.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-01-2009, 12:48 PM Reply   
Learning the art of not sinking your bow is part now part of the sport of wakeboarding. Some boats do better than others, but you will always have to be careful when you have a boat loaded with 3000+ lbs.
If it is chronic, I would suggest moving weight around. If the bow sinking is occasional, then the driving tips mentioned above should help.