Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-10-2017, 6:48 AM Reply   
Dane is this your lake? The articals say Nevada county? I thought your place was in CA?
http://www.theunion.com/news/e-coli-...closures-copy/
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2017, 7:44 AM Reply   
Isn't there a Nevada County in CA?...and a Nevada City?
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-10-2017, 7:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthons View Post
Isn't there a Nevada County in CA?...and a Nevada City?
yeah thats where they are talking about in the article
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-10-2017, 7:53 AM Reply   
Never the less I figured a local could let us know, How does E-Coli form in a lake? I understand hake it works with food but I didn't understand how it gets and or survived in a lake or beach situation.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-10-2017, 7:54 AM Reply   
That would be a intresting NEW dash mounted gauge. Somthing on your boat that tells you the water Quality. My hot tub has a UV light (called a blue ray) that works as water purification. It kills e-Coli and other nasty stuff instantly. As soon as water passes over the light its done! Interesting if all boats had a device like this inline (exhaust output) so boats worked as remote water scrubbers. water municipalities and water treatment plants that convert raw sewage into drinking water use these same devices on a industrial scale. It was just a light bulb moment for me. So instead of you being annoyed by that boat in front of you You think Humm at least he is cleaning the lake LOL

Last edited by grant_west; 08-10-2017 at 8:04 AM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-10-2017, 12:13 PM Reply   
Correction the UV sterilizer on our hot tub is called a "Clear Ray" not a Blu-ray LOL it's a blue light and I must have looked into it and fryed my brain
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-10-2017, 3:31 PM Reply   
Heavy runoff years where there are cattle around can make it happen. All of the liberal opinions (translation BS) gets washed into the lake in higher amounts.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-10-2017, 3:38 PM Reply   
I remember going here once and the beautiful lawn in front of the water was literally a war zone with the leavings from Canada Geese.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-10-2017, 3:51 PM Reply   
Oh good point about the geese. That's also a ripe source for it. Geese are so overpopulated now.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-10-2017, 4:23 PM Reply   
I remember a few years back Lake Comanche had a similar issue with Geese $hitting up the lake (swim Aera) to be exact and made it so no human contact for a few weeks untill the levels went down
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2017, 10:42 PM Reply   
Yes, this is my lake. Very disappointed. Cows, deer or geese did it. This has never happened before. Hopefully, this will motivate wildlife control. The deer and geese population here is out of control. Here is a picture of the geese at the park adjacent to the beach where kids got sick.
Attached Images

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-11-2017, 5:26 AM Reply   
We have the same issue with geese on our local lakes. They end up closing the beaches off every few years for a few weeks till we have a good rain but the main body of water is ok. Or so we are told.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-11-2017, 8:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Never the less I figured a local could let us know, How does E-Coli form in a lake? I understand hake it works with food but I didn't understand how it gets and or survived in a lake or beach situation.
Houseboats, cruisers, or floating barges/cabins could also dump sewage into the lake if the owners are a-holes. Seen it in one isolated area on my lake near a marina. The state sent inspectors and found modified plumbing in houseboats, cruisers, and floating cabins that had valves added to release black water tank. Also if that lake flooded and septic tanks went under or backflowed into the lake.

Last edited by you_da_man; 08-11-2017 at 8:52 AM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-11-2017, 9:01 AM Reply   
With as much water as we received this winter its a bummer that this happens I can understand in a low lake level and limited water flow but when we have lots of water??? So what's the FIX?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-11-2017, 9:44 AM Reply   
Geese did it to the local cable park lake as well. Stupid things need to be culled in a bad way. At our local lake you can barely walk along the beach without walking in the sh## everywhere.

We used to get quite the algae outbreak up at the lake where our summer house is. That was mostly due to the cattle in the area. They aren't allowed near the lake anymore.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-11-2017, 9:44 AM Reply   
The E.coli 0157:H7 strain that has effected 13 people (10 children) has not been found in the lake. But, all of these people spent time on this one beach at the lake in mid July. This strain comes from primarily cows, sometimes deer and sometimes geese. It could also come from a human but the human would be very sick. I have heard the child that was the most sick and in ICU for two weeks (kidney failure) is now headed for a full recovery so that is very good news.

Last edited by diamonddad; 08-11-2017 at 9:48 AM. Reason: .typo