Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-23-2014, 6:34 PM Reply   
Hey guys, new to the wake surf world but picked up a used hyperlite board for cheap and decided to give it a go... what we have is a 750 in the rear, a 250 on the side of the ride plus passengers in the corner (1 or 2 tops). it was really hard to find a good spot. I have ridden behind a direct drive before and the wake as better than how we had it the other night. are there any weighting tips any one can give me?

Thanks, Dave
Old     (Smooky)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-24-2014, 2:47 AM Reply   
David,

you need to use more weight in order to have a good wave. On my boat I use the standard ballast rear locker 250 (surf side) center ballast 500. And additionally I have 1100 in rear locker surf side, 750 under seats surf side, and 400 in the bow.

I tried it with this configuration first time las weekend, and the wave was really nice.

You definitely have to add weight in your boat.

Marc
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-24-2014, 6:38 AM Reply   
I think we have one or 2 more fat sacs so ill see what we can do! thanks a lot
Old     (Smooky)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-24-2014, 7:19 AM Reply   
You are welcome.

Try and, and don't be afraid about putting some weight in the bow.

At the beginning I was surfing only with weight in the rear locker, and the wave was really short.
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-24-2014, 8:33 AM Reply   
yea our wave is really short and we had nothing in the bow, maybe we need to get a little more creative or maybe even invite some females for a change
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-24-2014, 8:42 AM Reply   
Not all Ddrives are created equal. You're making it sound as if you're confused why yours doesn't surf as well as the another. Hull shapes vary a lot and you need to learn your boat and your set up. Tell us what boat your using and then maybe someone will have a good setup for it.

I've been surfing my Ddrive for 10 years now. I've messed with all sorts of setups. Now days, I keep it simple. Granted, I have done some fairly extensive modifications to it but, it doesn't net a huge amount of weight. More importantly, I no longer run any nose weight. It just knocked the height down too much. I increased the length by simply speeding up and maxing my angle of attack. I have a trim plate and I run it all the way up and put as much weight as I can in the back. This has produced a far better, more consistent wave. It's taller, longer and wider than with any nose weighted setup I ever ran.

My setup in my '00 Tige 22i; 450 surfside corner, 300 opposite side corner, as many people as I can into the surfside corner, 10.7-11mph.

Smooky, I don't know how to put this without offending you but, you don't appear to have a whole lot of experience. Nobody needs 3000lbs of ballast in order to surf unless you have a really crappy hull in which case you didn't know what the hell you were doing when you bought the boat. If your going to give advice to someone who is just getting into the sport, telling them to overload their boat by probably double what it will hold in the first place is just flat irresponsible. I'm sorry but, your advise is wrong. Christ, you don't even know how to find a board for yourself. Do you really feel like you know what your talking about? C'mon man.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-24-2014, 9:33 AM Reply   
Ok Smooky, that might have been a little harsh but, your experience has nothing to do with the OPs boat. This quote is from your board thread-

"I m riding behind a Malibu 21 vride 2012. With 1100lbs rear locker ballast, 750 surf side seat and 400 in the bow.

I m about 195cm and intermediate skills.

And my goal is to try doing air. "

2012 Vride has absolutely nothing to do with a 2000 X5.
Old     (Smooky)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-24-2014, 10:28 AM Reply   
Fence, no problem at all. No offense :-)

As you told, I don't have a lot of experiences, I'm just trying to share what people told me to do (with Malibu, Mastercraft, Moomba, etc), and what is working for me.

Then of course each hull is different and need a special set up.

About the board. I'm riding a P5 Danielo carbon, and wanted to buy a surf style board, that was the reason of my other post. I wanted some advices, just in order to buy something that I will keep for a long time, and not change after 1 year for upgrading to something better, and finally spend more money.

Last edited by Smooky; 06-24-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-24-2014, 1:18 PM Reply   
Just throwing in my .02
We surf a DD regularly. Before the install of the surf system we did find a listed configuration that worked pretty well. Listing more to the side is more effective than just sinking the back. The same amount of weight doublestacked on a bag or on the surf side will have a greater effect on making your wake have push/lift and be cleaner than throwing it just in the rear.
370 under the rear seat
750 beside the doghouse
750 stacked on the rear seat and on top of 750 beside the doghouse
manual wakeplate dropped about 9/16" or so
speed around 9.3-9.7mph
This made a consistent wave that was clean with a lot of push. Not saying it will work for you with a different boat, but it is a setup that worked well for us.
In that respect we did try running the 750s in an "L" configuration with a 750 behind the doghouse and not doublestacked and the wave was very short, mushy, and lacked push. Positioning matters as much, if not more so than actual weight ran.
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-24-2014, 3:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fence_sence View Post
Not all Ddrives are created equal. You're making it sound as if you're confused why yours doesn't surf as well as the another. Hull shapes vary a lot and you need to learn your boat and your set up. Tell us what boat your using and then maybe someone will have a good setup for it.

Im not really confused - I asked on peoples experience and opinions. If you read the title it says 2000 MAstercraft X5 - direct drive. Smooky wasn't being harsh or rude at all. He said maybe add some weight in the bow and we will try that also it seems we need some more weight as we don't have any ballasts just fatsacs.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-24-2014, 4:02 PM Reply   
I was being rude and harsh. I didn't want somebody else thinking they need to throw 3k of ballast in a Ddrive in order to get a good wake. That's flat out dangerous as well as unnecessary for 99% of Ddrives on the water. Plus, Vdrive setups have nothing to do with Ddrive setups. In the last two seasons, a lot of Ddrive owners are finding that nose weight is not the way to go. It could very well work for an X5 but, given the recent successes of no nose weight in Ddrives, it's unlikely at best.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-24-2014, 7:28 PM Reply   
I don't really run nose weight at all. Maybe some small people. (Kids). But that's mostly it! Seems to be that the common consensus is to weight the surf corner and get it on. Like fence said thought, they are all different.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-24-2014, 7:33 PM Reply   
Make a gate or some nss plates. There have been some recent success with those bad boys.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-25-2014, 7:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by masongardner View Post
Make a gate or some nss plates. There have been some recent success with those bad boys.
Indeed there has. I'm still not willing to start slapping homemade **** to my transom. I'm just not. I'm not opposed to the idea, I'm just waiting for another solution. I personally feel that all these gates and plates are going to fall by the wayside soon anyways. My particular hull surfs really well so, I'm gonna stick with what I got for now. Mason has made some serious improvements to his wake though.