Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-31-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
I recently purchased a 2000 Air Nautique DD. I have taken it about 10 times periodically checking the fluid levels. I leave the plug out during storage, and this weekend before putting the plug in prior to launch, I noticed about 1 drop of tranny fluid sitting outside of the plug hanging onto the hull, but no drops that had fallen on the concrete. I checked the fluid level and it seemed normal, and I dismissed it as some over flowed tranny fluid from the last change that got washed into the bilge, floated in the bilge and was probably a skim on top that just drained last...After running the boat this weekend, I checked the fluid level again and it looked a bit low, but I can not see any leaks. I took a rag an wiped under the transmission housing and picked up a slight amount of red fluid, but it doesn't appear that there was enough that it dropped down into the hull.

When running this weekend, I did not notice any slipping or anything abnormal.

So, my question is should I (1) Run this into the dealer immediately and potentially pay $105/hr to get it checked to minimize damage, or (2) Should I fill it up and see if I can locate the leak if any, assuming the small leak, if any, is not going to cause immediate problems as long as there is plenty of fluid.

I guess the overall question is take it in immediately, or troubleshoot it a little more? Is troubleshooting/refilling a huge risk not worth taking?

Also, I am in autsin, tx, so any recomendations on reputable service techs is appreciated.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-02-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
Bump...for my buddy.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-02-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
If it were mine, I'd just keep it full and keep looking for the leak. A slow leak is not a big problem other than the mess as long as it doesn't get too low.

These guys are honest:
http://www.acemarineaustin.com/
Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-02-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
Thanks Trace. After letting it sit for a couple of days, it looks like quite a bit of the fluid has leaked out. I think it may be the front/main seal to the engine, but who knows. This morning I went ahead and took it to Scott Voges at Hurst Harbor Marine based on a recomendation. He seems like a nice guy to work with. He is going to try to locate the leaks, possibly pressurizing it if needed, and go from there. I will keep you guys updated.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-02-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
Good move Bro. I know it sucks to have to take your new boat in already, but the piece of mind should be worth something.

I got my steering cable changed out last night. Not hard to do but VERY hard to get to! Aren't you glad you bought a direct drive? haha
Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-02-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
Eubanks, thanks for the bump earlier. Yeah, the DD seems to help. If they have to pull the tranny it shouldn't take too long and just a couple of guys to lift it off...If V-Drive they would have to pull the engine from what I understand. I probably needed to take it in anyway to get a general once over to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. If I come out of this with peace of mind and it doens't break the bank (e.g., a second mortgage), i will be fine with it. Keeping my fingers crossed!