Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
I was thinking of adding another sub to my boat, but have no idea were to start. I have 2 JL amps, can i do it with just 2? Suggestions on a good sub?
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-30-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
If you want more bass use more fishing hooks and poles. LMAO
Or sell the X-Star and buy a Bass Tracker. HA HA.

(Message edited by ktm525 on August 30, 2009)
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
thanks don ill look into that
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-30-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
Well, lets start with what you've got now, could be just an under powered sub or just not set up right. No need to throw good money after bad. What sub are you currently running and how is it set up, ie: enclosure and wired, and what amps do you have, and what are they driving? Is one of the JL's unused or something?
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
I have a JL M6450 amp running 6 speakers in the boat, and one MG-10IB5-4 sub. my other amp M2510 is running 4 JL tower speakers. It still has bass but i would like more.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-30-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
I just looked up you amp on JL's website. You should have one of the 3 section bridged for one sub. Next you can switch the bass boost on. Next change the filter freq to the freq you like as a sub sound. Then adjust the input sensitivity(gain) this will increase the output. Good luck. I have on 1 wetsounds free air sub in our boat and it rocks. no need for anymore.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2009, 5:19 PM Reply   
thanks don but all those things are done (i just checked).
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-30-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
If I were you I would replace all the amps in the boat. Those Jl speakers in the boat and on the tower should be getting 100-125 watts each. I get one 4 channel amp to power the interiors and another 2 or 4 channel to run the tower speakers. If you got a 4 channel for the tower speakers you could actually run the 4 tower speakers in 2 ohms and bridge the other 2 channels to run the stock sub. Then if you want more bass add a sub and monoblock amp for that.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-30-2009, 6:22 PM Reply   
Taking a quick look at what you've got. The sub is looking for 250 watts rms (continuous) power, but, that amp is only delivering 150 watts, (I'm guessing you have the sub bridged on 2 chnls of the amp) So, that sub is under powered by nearly 40%. Here is what I would recommend: Pull the sub off the M6450 amp and run all 6 in-boats on their own chnls and pick up a new sub and mono-block amp, such as the Kicker Comp VR104 and zx400.1.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-31-2009, 6:36 AM Reply   
do they have to be marine grade?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-31-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
parker james,

Definitely convert your 6-channel to all HIGHPASS on all the in-boat speakers.

Check your amplifier supply cable and subwoofer speaker wire. MasterCraft factory could use an upgrade here.

For the sub power, if you're staying within the JL Audio family, use a bridged G2250 or G1700 monoblock. Pass over the G1300 for this particular application. The G1700 would allow you to add a second and identical sub in the future with a minimum of 250 watts per sub.

This isn't car stereo with an enclosed cabin plus you're running a free-air sub with less acoustic damping, so definitely turn-off the bass EQ. The narrow boost is costing you dynamic range and overall output. Since its a free-air sub, try crossing it over a little higher than the norm. This should yield much more perceived output and may even cause you to gain the sub down in order to have a smooth transition with the midbass drivers.

If you're going to add a second sub, then try to use the identical sub loaded in a symmetrical manner. If possible, mount the new sub side-by-side with the old one or as close as possible in the same locker. This will produce a more uniform phase response for the two subs which will yield more output and better tonal construction.

By the time you have 9 or 10 amplifier channels, you might want to consider a small line amplifier on the RCA output that will be split three ways into the JL 6-channel amplifier.

David
Earmark Marine