Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
I have one small project that I'm having a hell of a time with. I've got two small scratches each about 3" long that I'm trying to repair. Sanger does not use Spectrum gel coat so I can't order a number from them. Last year Sanger referred me to Gel Coat Products in Seattle where I bought what should be the white for my boat. Turns out, it's too white. I've repaired the gel coat twice and still don't have the color right. Don't want to keep repairing until I get the color right as I don't want to sand the area any more than I have to. I have mixed one batch up, using a new color mix, and applied it to paper to test the dried gel coat against the boat. Still not quite the right color.

Anyone have any proven "trick" for this?
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-23-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
looks like a total loss, so sad. Time for a new boat...
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
Yeah, I know. Sort of like your cat. Maybe I'll park the boat up in the street and use a similar sign!
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-23-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
spectrum will color match any sample
hate to say it have to take a small peace of gel off and send it to them
I had to do this with my old boat
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
Andy, it can be done. I've gone through the same process on a small repairs on my boats. You're right, Sanger white is slightly off white. I added a drop or two of black pigment to the white, until I got it right.

In San Diego, you should have lots of fiberglass repair places where you can obtain the goods locally.

If you can't find anything, this is where I get my supplies, they are just a couple miles from my house, maybe you can mail order from them...

http://www.crystaliner.com/
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-23-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
Your boat is not white its called silvercloud you might try calling Sanger or try bennys custom Marine In Tracy Ca he has a great relationship with Sanger and can be quite helpful
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-23-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
^^ did the same.. Silver cloud is the name. 20 bucks for a pint.. I called Sanger directly and got it from them.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2009, 9:20 PM Reply   
Isaac, Yours is a 2002 also right?
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-23-2009, 10:50 PM Reply   
yup
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-28-2009, 9:51 PM Reply   
Andy,

I had GCP make me a batch...but I cut plug from my boat (I was intalling Perfect Pass), and sent it to them for a match. It was pretty close, but too dark. When they sent me the custom pint...they also sent me the plug back.

Here is what I did:
1. Drilled a small divot in the plug...and patched it with the GCP. It was too dark.
2. I made 5 batches, with the GCP mix...and pure white as follows:
50/50
60/40
70/30
80/20
3. Drilled 4 divots...and patched them with the 4 mixes. The 70/30 was close...but too light. 80/20 was dark. So I settled on 75% GCP, and 25% pure white. As close as I could get it.

You can only spot it if you are 12" away...and know where to look. Even then it is not the color...but my patch job that you notice....

If the patch color you have is to light...this will not work though.

A good starting point is having a sample you can send them for a match.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2009, 11:03 PM Reply   
Thanks Brant. You did what I was heading towards, except that the only way for me to match was to put it on the boat. I tried it twice and don't want to keep digging out the non-match color. I tried mixing applying to a wood surface, let it dry & hold up to the boat but not the same - too hard.

Armed with the color name I'm going to try GCP and Spectrum again.

By luck I matched up my yellow and it was nearly perfect. You can't tell unless you're close and I point to it.

By the way did you get GCP to mix up any less than a quart? Damn those are expensive at about $80 per.