Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-26-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
Has anyone attempted to build their own FAE. I noticed they run upwards of $400-500. I am not about stealing designs and I believe in supporting companies that come out with products supporting the boating world, but that seems like a high price. So has anyone made their own, is it worth it to build my own, or just pay the money shut-up and enjoy it????
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-26-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
If buying it for $400-500 and just bolting it on and going boating is what is involved, I'd be all over just paying and going for it. Building all that stuff would take quite a bit of work. Just figure out what you're worth per hour and see if it's still a high price. I'm doubting it is. :-)
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-26-2009, 5:53 PM Reply   
I just finished the install on my supra. Was easy and well worth the money. The quality of the parts are great.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-26-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
Get one, install it, then report back if you still feel it's too much!
Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-26-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
I would have to agree way over priced and the attachment pieces look like my kids lego set. Now with that said, my only draw back is the welding which I'm not the greatest and being anal I think I would do a poor job. It would be interesting to see the price to out source to a local weld shop. Post some home made versions they have to be out there. Good topic
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-26-2009, 9:27 PM Reply   
wont come close to being reasonably lower. best off buy the fae it will fit perfectly and they are well worth the money. (powder coated and all stainless hardware has to be figured into the price of making one. they are quite well built, not like legos(they are plastic)
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-26-2009, 9:50 PM Reply   
Someone built their own, and posted it on here about a year or two ago. He took a lot of criticism, and the thread became all about copyright infringement laws. The one that was home made looked similar to the bought one in the pictures. I do agree It's all about what your time is worth, but some of us like to do our own work, regardless of saving the money.

The hose clamp attachment does look a little amateur, there's got to be a cleaner attachment method that could be incorporated.
I think Erector set, rather than Lego's, but now I'm dating myself...
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
I think it was Sparky who built his own. It was great work IMO very Pro.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-26-2009, 10:23 PM Reply   
Time,effort,energy,$,way worth it for me to get the real-deal & move on, we love ours & to me,since I'm not a 'master welder', WAY worth letting the expert do what he does best & leave me to do what I do best (which the wife & I r still trying to figure out)
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-26-2009, 10:26 PM Reply   
There is a reason for the rubber connections. It allows for some flex due to the thrust created by the prop. If it was solid there would be issues.

That being said. What is your time worth??? To design and build it??? Its going to be cheaper to bite the bullet and buy it.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2009, 8:06 AM Reply   
Sparky did build his own and it was beautiful work.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-27-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
The down pipe is the hardest. Last time I looked at parts it was about $50 or so in 3" aluminum for the legs. I'll deff make one when I'm ready for one...
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-27-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
Does the exhaust have to come out with the prop wash? I was thinking it would look cool having dual fae's on either side instead of the 2-1.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-27-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/clearance-b-stock-44/
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-27-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Daniel, I think it helps quite a bit coming into the prop wash. Just my observations, not a tested fact by me.
In the wash the bubbles get broken up and are pushed back as soon as the boat is in forward. It's really noticeable when you see it. I think that is part of what makes it effective.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-27-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
Or you could go stainless for a few $ more.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
Unless you have free access to steel tubing, mandrels, free hardware, the mechanical ability to calculate the proper material thicknesses for the stresses encountered, free access to a powder coating or chroming shop and if your time isn't worth a dime, then go ahead and make your own. How about just paying a guy who figured it all out already and built one specifically for your boat?

Dual tubes would create a ton of turbulence inside the wake.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-27-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
Having two 3in oval tubes would create that much turbulance? Also what size is the exit on the fae?
Wonder how the flow is for the big blocks.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-27-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
Sparks looks killer,and none of his powdercoat is comin off.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-27-2009, 6:09 PM Reply   
Yes I built my own but I have access to everything needed too. I didn't totaly like the design of the original FAE and changed it some. It's not always about just dropping the cash and getting what you want. There is a certain amount of pride and accomplishment in building your own stuff, whatever it is. I built a light bar, bimini top and tower speakers for my last boat as well, but that's just the kinda thing I'm into. Alot of stuff nowadays is put together cheap but the price is the opposite so if you're like me with more time than money, I say go for it! BTW, about $200 give or take in parts/materials and four hours, give or take, lol, labor for my FAE. I refer everyone that asks about mine to the FAE website as I am not into selling these to anyone.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-27-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
I'm with you sparky about using your own two hands to make whatever it is. I started with a old 71 Coronado & started from the floors up making what "I" want & I can say I made that..
Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
Thanks for info Dave. These guys are in my back yard. Sparky is right on all accounts, I wish more people thought this way.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-27-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
We have one on a dual exhaust CC/big block setup, and it's a GREAT option for the boat. I miss the noise, MAYBE once a year, but I'm cured once the jet boats go blasting by! No obvious flow problems on ours, but I did mess with it for a while to keep it from rotating up while running fast (40+ mph).
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-28-2009, 12:36 AM Reply   
Sparky I am with you and I by no means believe in taking someone else's design and straight copying it. I enjoy doing a project myself (assuming it turns out right). I am leaning to dropping the cash on this one thou and spend the time on the water instead. Thanks for all the input.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-28-2009, 12:38 AM Reply   
Sparky I am with you and I by no means believe in taking someone else's design and straight copying it. I enjoy doing a project myself (assuming it turns out right). I am leaning to dropping the cash on this one thou and spend the time on the water instead. Thanks for all the input.