Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-07-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
Last weekend while at spring ride my son Tony and I got to go out on the Epic 23v. I will have to say is WOW. The boat was amazing. We had 7 people in the boat and most of the ballast full and the boat just jumped out of the hole and was on plane in no time. The boat drove like a dream. Rock solid no rattles and for all the weight it had in it the boat handled extremely well. The wake was huge and had a great shape. I was surprised because we had been told it was like a wall. Tony was very happy with the wake he said it had a great transition and amazing pop off the top. Being a Malibu owner I was kind of skeptical at first but after being in the boat and looking it over real well I will have to say the Epic 23v is on my short list of boats to look at for my next one. I was really impressed with the dual rudders. When we came back to the slip we actually turned the boat and backed straight into the slip.

I would love to hear from other that have actually been in the boat on the water. What was you feeling about the boat and the wake?

And please if you are just going to hate stay away I am just looking for opinions of people that have actually experienced the boat not a bunch of Haters.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-07-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
I rode one a year ago or so... I'm a SAN210 guy and LOVED the wake... the vert pop from it is awesome... its seriously the first boat I would consider to be created with 100% wakeboard focus.

Yeah SANs/X-Stars/Wakesetters etc etc are "wakeboard boats" but the EPIC is has one purpose...BIG CLEAN WAKE and it does just that
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
It is big for sure.... and adjustable, which is nice. My only concern is that it washes easily side to side like the 210 also.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-07-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
If Malibu was smart, they would try reeeeeally hard to keep you guys in their boat.
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
wasn't someone on here the marketing director for epic (or something similar)?
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
I got to go for a ride also this last weekend and was really impressed. We had a boat load of people and the hole shot was amazing. I didn't drive it so I can't comment on handling, but others did and commented on how well it did handle. The water conditions were pretty lousy when I was riding so I didn't have a lot of clean shots at the wake, but when I did hit it, its kick was more than expected by looking at it. I have an older SAN, so I did not notice the wake being steep, definitely liked it...
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-07-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
Dave, Yes, Joe Umali worked for Epic about a year or so. Like I said, we own a Malibu but we are getting ready to replace the boat so I wanted to check out what is new on the market.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
Ben was it the Hoffs boat? Are you going to Atlanta?
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-07-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
Randy, I got to look at the Hoffmans but went out on Jerrod Brantlys(sp?) boat. Yes I will be in Atlanta and Texas then we will see after that.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
I actually broke my foot behind the Epic because the wake was so damn steep! Has anyone had issues with not being able to clean that foamy spongy floor?
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
I was surprised to see this boat in the recreational section (I think) instead of in the Core section of the WBM boat guide. I expected it to be up there with the big boys.
What are your thoughts?
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
used to? that's gotta have a great story behind it...
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-07-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
Ben, Larry has been riding with jimmy wolf with his epic, he say's the wake has alot of vertical pop and really likes how much hang time you get.
I know Jimmy has the ballast full, plus a bunch of other weight in the boat not sure how much more, but he says the wake is waist high with great transition and unbelievable pop..
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
I am curious how much fuel they burn fully weighted. Are they similar to a VLX or maybe something smaller like a 210?
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-07-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
I got a chance to ride behind an Epic last year and I was really impressed with the wake.

I rode it with stock ballast and the wake was awesome, and then we put another 1k in it and loaded it with people and it was the best wake I had ever ridden. I too was also impressed with how quickly it got on plane. The thing that surprised me the most was the shape of the wake when we let most of the ballast out to let some beginners ride. It was a lot more mellow than I imagined it would be and was really clean.

My biggest complaint about the boat was driving it. I hate the Volvo throttle. It was like an I/O throttle: really stiff with very little throw. I thought the thing drove like a tank and wasn't too impressed with it. Sounds like they did a better job with it for 08 though.

I don't think I would buy and Epic right now (give them another couple years) but if my neighbor owned one I would be hitting him up for rides every day.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-07-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
Ben....what about the new 23LSV that you just picked up?
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-07-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
Mark, That was a Promo we were using. We still have the VLX. Been with Malibu 3 years thinking it might be time for a change.
Old     (txrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-07-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
I've been riding behind the Epics for a couple of years now and had tons of people in the boat. If your into wakeboarding and wakesurfing this is def. one of the most fun boats you can get. It just makes your day that much more enjoyable when you drop the boat in, hit three switch's and have 4K worth of ballast in about 12 minutes. Plus its all under the floor so there is a ton of storage. The rear lockers can hold several boards with binding as well as surfboards etc. The stock ballast is also plenty to make a sick surf wake. Picture this, get done taking a few sets wakeboarding behind a huge push button wake, then hit one switch to drain one side and by the time you done taking off your board, your ready for a surf set. Now it's the regular footers turn (I'm goofy!) so hit fill and drain and in about ten minutes you've switched sides and are ready for the next riders and haven't touched a sack! You wouldn't believe how much better this makes your day.
Old    wakejjboard12            05-07-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
the GPS speed control is sick too!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
Jess what has been your experience on Gas consumption. Be truthful.
Old     (txrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-07-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
Honestly, and I know this doesn't seem right, I think the boat is great on gas. With that statement there is a stipulation, if your used to running alot of weight, then the big engine def. saves money. The combination of the 14 1/4 X 14 1/2 prop makes the boat incredibly "tourqy" and the boat get on a plane in no time (no more full throttle for 100 yards). Plus, when your running with no ballast the boat only weighs 3,200 lbs. so that helps a lot to.
But I really believe that its pretty good on gas, maybe even better then a 350. I don't have anything to back that up but I really do think that its true.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-07-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
Jes that is the same thing that I have heard is that it is really good on gas because the engine doesnt work as hard.
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-07-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
Yeah I was surprised how easy it was on gas.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-07-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
The Epic boat will be pulling the Canyon Lake contest this weekend. Come on out and go for a pull!!

http://www.wakeboardclub.com
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-07-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
JM the Volvo Throttle is no longer an issue. The boat is now powered by a Merc 8.1 with throttle by wire and GPS speed control
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-07-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
Jessica, I pulled out of the lake right behind the Epic a couple of weeks ago. Talked to Kenny some and checked the boat out. Very nice indeed. I heard today that ya'll may have it up at Lay Lake pulling for the AL INT event.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-07-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
im guessing jaret brantley had his boat weighted for surfing at spring and left it over night. Sunday morning it was leaning hard and everyone was tripping over it. i dunno if he had extra in the back or what but it was dumped hard.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-07-2008, 9:15 PM Reply   
Awesome to hear - thanks for the objective post on the Epic you guys!
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-07-2008, 9:50 PM Reply   
Jimmie has 5 to 6k, from what one of his boys told me. Huge lead or steal plates. He was at the AZ awa #1, and had the thing full of people. That boat was a lowrider, seemed to do fine. I didnt ride it though.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-08-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
I drove it awhile back and was very impressed. Without any ballast, it had a really good wake for beginners, which we need at our camp. When you give it gas, it feels like a drag boat coming out of the hole and was very nimble to drive. When we loaded it, it was huge with 3 people in the boat. My son, Derek, was behind the boat and on almost every trick he did, he finished early. With this boat you can get that extra rotation. We are going to run at leat one at the camp this year.

Wassup Ben!
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-08-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
It will be interesting to see what kind of response the riders have after they get to ride behind it at the CLWC event this weekend.

Tom I am just doing the thing I do. Tell the family we said hello.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-08-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
everyone loved it at last year's events.
Old     (tx03gt)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
Does anybody have some good pics of this beast of a wake?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-08-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
I prefer wakes like the vlx or xstar, so the Epic 23v wake was really steep for me. I liked that the wake was huge, clean and very firm, and that it was on a stock ballast system. I did not like the loud, pulsating humm of the volvo 8.1, and it seemed to vibrate a lot. I am glad to hear they put the merc engine into it this year and am looking forward to getting another pull.

Any word on the 21v? and will the wake on the 21 change, become steeper maybe? or be similar to the 23?
Old     (bnall)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-08-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
Comin from an '05 X-2 and its mellow wake, When we 1st got the boat we were worried about what every one was sayin about the wake being really steep, But honestly it is by far the best wake I have ever ridden, perfect, not to steep and has a lot of pop... And like JJ said the GPS trottle control is towering over my old PerfectPass. I wouldn't go back to MC and those are big words from a lifetime MC lover!

Upload

(Message edited by bnall on May 08, 2008)

(Message edited by bnall on May 08, 2008)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-08-2008, 9:42 PM Reply   
last i heard they're not workin' on the 21v just yet. they're focusing on the electric boat first (in the 23v hull).
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2008, 9:55 PM Reply   
Thats crazy. Build a base before reaching for your dreams IMO.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-08-2008, 10:46 PM Reply   
electric boat....YES!!!