Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-07-2008, 12:42 AM Reply   
i'm really curious about the vantage bindings. anyone ridden them yet? how are they compared to the watsons? are they supportive even w/ "just" velcro to tighten them? are they "flexible" for tweaks and pokes?

thanks!
Old    kidrik            05-07-2008, 5:22 AM Reply   
Love them! Yes, supportive yet flexible. Easy in and outs, as well as adjusting on the go.

So far the velcro shows no sign of losing it's hold! Very comfy.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-07-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
This guy on Tech's club has them, and he is madly in love with them, at least from what I can tell. The only problem he's had is that the velcro just stripped off of one of the straps last week. Chances are that if this thread is still active tomorrow, he may chime in.

*Cue Jeff*
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-07-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
I got them this year and haven't ridden them a ton yet, but really like them so far. They are easy in and out and have good support. I was riding CT Watsons before and I think they are pretty close to being as supportive. They are obviously open toe, so if you were riding closed toe Watsons it may be weird to see your toes again, but I like them. I like simple, functional designs and that's what the Vantages are.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
They seem great except for some reason the ankle support is not there. If you have skinny ankles you are SOL. I really wanted them to work for me but ..... my ankles are skinny.

Even when I crank the velcro all the way to it's tightest setting it is loose on me and i am 6'2" 220lbs!
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-07-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
great post GW. my tiny ankles will not buy these now.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-07-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
Gene, did you get the right size? I have skinny ankles as well. I normally wear a size 10 shoes, but size 8-9 fit me best with the vantages. My feet stay completely in place with when im strapped in, no heel lift, no slipping.
the boots have great heel to toe support (i was really suprised!) but are nice and soft side to side for gettin down on some grabs.

try on a pair and just get the right size. you can go tight with these boots but it still wont hurt your feet because they are just so soft.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
i always go a size smaller so that when they stretch a little they are perfect. Yea i had the right size. At the tightest setting I could wrap them there was zero support. Almost like their wasn't anything at all. They may fit some so try them but even my friend who initially disagreed with me felt that they had no support after he rode them.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-07-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
I probably have about 30 rides in on my now. I really like them. They feel like the Watsons but are substantially lighter. I weighed them and each binding is about 1 lb lighter. It is nice have three binding straps. It gives you a little more adjustment compared to two strings. Oh and no more stepping through the stupid string. Got to like that.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome
Old    kidrik            05-07-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
You know what they say about guys with small ankles....................

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-07-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
Gene,

Did you heat mold them? That should have helped with ankle support.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
No just gave them a once over. Like I said i really wanted them to work well but couldn't justify buying them.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-07-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
This kind of gets to what I look for in a binding, and that is as much knee safety as possible. I loved the old Parks binding because it was like he designed it with his knees in mind. I have a feeling Shanes are somewhat in that design as well, which is what I ride now. These seem to be the next generation of knee friendly bindings, much of this is from Harrington and others riding it. (Does lyman?) What is everyone's thoughts as to knee friendly bindings? I get scared when I ride in "lock down" boot feeling bindings, with no side to side movement cause I'm always flexing for grabs, slides, landings etc.
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-07-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
I have em and I love them. As far as knee safety goes, they seem to hold my feet in pretty tight. I haven't come out of my bindings on a fall yet... which could be a bad thing, but then again I like to tighten mine as much as possible.

They are really flexible and the way the foot cushion are shaped, if you land front foot heavy, your chances of a knee injury are "reduced."
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-08-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
I've come out of them twice since I've had them. And I'll tell you what when you come out of them it is a bit of relief, because most likely you are getting back in the boat.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-08-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
A-Dub, Chad Sharpe has said that he feels he's avoided knee injuries because his bindings are so stiff. I can see the argument going both ways.

Two of my friends are riding the vantages and absolutely love them.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-08-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
Come out and try them on Sunday Joe

What size are you... 5-7?
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-08-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
damn! hahahaha ^^^^^^^ that's some funny ass shait!
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-08-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
I went with Escalades

Upload
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-08-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
myke, judging by your profile pic, you have no room to talk. you can barely see over the steering wheel!
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-08-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
Joe you know we roll with the gangsta lean in Disco

On a serious note though are you rollin up this weekend? You always gotta place to crash if you need one on the Dirty D
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-08-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
nah, not this weekend. i totally forgot, i'm filming on sat.

definitely need to hook up though when we (me, son and girlfriend) head up! got room for all 3 of us and 2 little dogs?
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-08-2008, 4:59 PM Reply   
Yea, you all are welcome! Hopefully your 2 little dogs like my pitbull