Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

View Poll Results: DO you wear a helmet and do you have concussions?
I ride with a helmet and HAVE gotten a concussion with the helmet on 6 10.34%
I do not wear a helmet and have had a concussion 14 24.14%
I wear a helmet and have NOT gotten a concussion while wearing the helmet 20 34.48%
i do not wear a helmet and have not had a concussion 18 31.03%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-16-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
Im hoping to shed some light with some hard(ish) data on the helmet situation so here is a simple poll PLEASE ANSWER
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-16-2011, 5:20 PM Reply   
This poll will yield no valuable results due to the questions not covering what needs to be covered.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-16-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
yea sorry to say but this is useless, theres not enough options
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-16-2011, 6:34 PM Reply   
I have to agree. wasted bandwidth. Y'all know i mostly ride with a lid. took 3 sets today, 2 with 1 without. No concussion. Whats the conclusion?

I like it, you may not. OK
Wear it. or not I could give a rats arse.

Put on your big boy pants.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-16-2011, 7:31 PM Reply   
just vote in the poll and let us know here cuz i dont care that youre uncles cousin's best friends brother got a concussion while he was wearing a helmet so you dont i just wanna know if they work or not and no one seems to have an answer

yea its not an experimental study and its not going to yield any conclusive results, thats not the point, im just curious about peoples experiences, not opinions, and i know others are too

Last edited by simplej; 10-16-2011 at 7:38 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-16-2011, 7:45 PM Reply   
I have noticed the helmet helps more on back edge catches as compared to face plants.But when compared to no helmet,the helmet softens all impacts.With that being said i don't believe it will prevent a concussion.I believe it will reduce the chance of a concussion.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-17-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
I prevent concussions by not falling too hard.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-17-2011, 9:03 AM Reply   
How about this. I have gotten Concussions with a Helmet on (two), I have gotten Concussion without a helmet on (three). All of them were from hitting the water a solid compo of front edge and back edge. Not to throw gas on the fire but I can honestly tell you it was worse with a helemt on. Much more whiplash, my neck was wrecked for weeks from the toe edge helmet on crash.

For the record I dont were a helmet unless it is required at a contest.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-17-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
I've had more neck and head injuries with a helmet on from impact on the water than without a helmet. I've had concussions both with and without but I can tell you it hurt more with the helmet on. I've never hurt my neck without a helmet but have had multiple sprains with it on. Helmets are not designed for impact with water. They are designed for impact with a rigid object. I've had many falls on rails that I can say the helmet saved my head from more injury than just a headache. Below is a copy of what a concussion is from WebMD:

What causes a concussion?

Your brain is a soft organ that is surrounded by spinal fluid and protected by your hard skull. Normally, the fluid around your brain acts like a cushion that keeps your brain from banging into your skull. But if your head or your body is hit hard, your brain can crash into your skull and be injured.

So by this definition, how can a helmet in the water actually prevent a concussion? It can't. You're not being hit with a solid object, you are coming to an abrupt stop that causes your brain to slop around inside your skull. Now if you hit your head on the board or your knee, that's another story.

I'm with Andy as well. I don't wear a helmet unless it's required by the contest or location I'm riding at. Although if I'm hitting a new big rail, jumping down some big gap or anything that looks like if I fell I would tumble across a solid object before landing in the water then there is a decent chance I'll throw one on.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-17-2011, 1:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinks View Post
So by this definition, how can a helmet in the water actually prevent a concussion? It can't. You're not being hit with a solid object, you are coming to an abrupt stop that causes your brain to slop around inside your skull. Now if you hit your head on the board or your knee, that's another story.
So the padding in a helmet or the deformation of the shell itself offers no ability to help soften that deceleration? I just want to be clear that is your claim...
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-17-2011, 1:37 PM Reply   
i do not wear a helmet, but have gotten a concussion from my knee hitting me in the chin.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       10-17-2011, 5:42 PM Reply   
I didn't use to wear a helmet until I got knocked out, concussion and a blown eardrum. Now I wear one and I have not gotten a concussion or a blown eardrum. I bought the helmet with the ear guard (protec). I feel kinda dumb wearing it since I think everyone watching me go by thinks I am going to do some big tricks since I have it on, but I am older now and just getting big air is enough for me. I make my daughter wear theirs and I know it has saved them several times. My youngest did a pretty bad scorpion crash last year and the board tagged the back of her head. Thank god she had that thing on. It would of been a trip to the ER for sure. Lots of tears and a sore face from the slap and a sore body the next day, but the helmet saved her head. My two cents. Wear one.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-19-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
So the padding in a helmet or the deformation of the shell itself offers no ability to help soften that deceleration? I just want to be clear that is your claim...
I don't really see how this would soften this kind of deceleration. Now if the padding was between your skull and your brain then this would help. One of the causes of a concussion is an impact to the body, not the head and that is possible from sudden acceleration or deceleration. It's all physics, An Object in Motion will stay in motion until another object or force stops it. ( Your brain hitting the inside of your skull) It's the same concept of sitting in you car with the seat belt on or off. If you hit the brakes your body continues forward until the seat belt or the steering wheel stops you. Same with you brain.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-19-2011, 12:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
he's got a point, people. Believe what you will, but the padding in the helmet and its shell is basically acting as a shock absorber for your skull. So instead of your brain ramming right into your skull, the padding is absorbing some of the impact. The counter argument will always be more surface area etc...
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-19-2011, 3:06 PM Reply   
not sure I see helmets help too much with water impact but then again what do I know? lol rails definitely though.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-19-2011, 4:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
I don't really see how this would soften this kind of deceleration. Now if the padding was between your skull and your brain then this would help. One of the causes of a concussion is an impact to the body, not the head and that is possible from sudden acceleration or deceleration. It's all physics, An Object in Motion will stay in motion until another object or force stops it. ( Your brain hitting the inside of your skull) It's the same concept of sitting in you car with the seat belt on or off. If you hit the brakes your body continues forward until the seat belt or the steering wheel stops you. Same with you brain.
It is your head violently stopping and the brain's relative motion that causes it to crash into the inside of your skull. If you slow the deceleration of your head, the impact of the brain to the skull is lessened. Its called dissipation of energy, and as you pointed out "its all physics."

If you want to compare it to a car, think of it as the crumple zones and seatbelt tensioners designed into the vehicle. If those didn't exist, the full force of the crash and near instant deceleration would be applied directly to the body being held in place by the seatbelt. Crumple zones slow the deceleration, and the belt tensioners release slightly and allow some forward movement during a crash to allow dissipation of energy.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-19-2011, 7:26 PM Reply   
Those that wear helmets will justify why.Those that don't wear helmets will justify why not to wear them.Bottom line,it's still your CHOICE!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-20-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
I don't really see how this would soften this kind of deceleration. Now if the padding was between your skull and your brain then this would help. One of the causes of a concussion is an impact to the body, not the head and that is possible from sudden acceleration or deceleration. It's all physics
Don't try to cite physics after making the statement that preceded it. The padding will soften the deceleration of the head. The question is whether it softens it more than the added acceleration of the larger surface area.

Maybe not, but people are citing other situations and factors that add to the list of considerations. I use one at the cable because of the rails but not behind the boat. My helmet is not one that would do much more than stop a hard surface from doing more damage anyway.