Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-21-2010, 9:52 PM Reply   
I posted this in the wrong forum...2x. Sorry.

I will be hitting McClure this weekend with 10 inexperienced boat passengers/spotters. I have made the following list for my pre launch safety brief. I was hoping someone could add something if I missed anything.

General rules
1. I am the captain of this boat. My rules will be followed.
2. Show where fire extinguisher is.
3. Show where tossable floatation device is.
4. No horseplay
5. Define hand signals for riders for the following conditions:
-. Speed up
- Speed down
-. I am done riding
-. Boat behind, beside, or around us
6. Keep all debris/trash inside the boat.
7. Show where all PFD are located
8. How to handle mooring lines when boat is being launched. Sorry, no one will be piloting my F21 but me.

Spotter rules
1. Flag movements
-. Hold flag up in the air and visible when rope, rider, or gear is in the water.
-. Wave the flag back and forth only in distress.
2. Keep an eye on the rider once he falls and notify captain if the captain cannot find rider
3. Keep an eye on the rope:
-. Keep clear/away from board racks/boards
-. Keep rope from going under the boat
4. Notify captain if rider is finished riding

Thanks everyone.

Mario-
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-21-2010, 9:56 PM Reply   
Sounds like fun. I'm in.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-21-2010, 10:48 PM Reply   
ay ay captain.

j/k to be honest its fine, just make sure you are nice in your delivery of this speach. if you suck all the fun out of it whats the point.

you just need to know your friends, and if there not your friends why are you taking them out? unless they are hot chicks then.....well never mind

i got 2 rules on my boat, no shoes and no f-ing cheeto's

Last edited by westsiderippa; 06-21-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old     (helman)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-21-2010, 11:17 PM Reply   
^ +1 on the cheetos. Add Doritos to the banned substances list and all is good!
Old    mojo            06-22-2010, 1:14 AM Reply   
only rule in my boat is if i say sit down sit down and when i say move over to adjust weight do it. do you not ride behind your own boat? i agree with showing where safety devices are. are flags required where you live? can't you simply say, will you hold the boat off or will you grab that line? i can dock my boat well enough to where either i can jump out and do it all myself or 1 person can help me. also, you as the driver should be communicating with the rider via hand signals and spoken word and mirror. you don't need anyone to tell you he's down unless you aren't paying attention.
Old     (gdavid)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-22-2010, 5:43 AM Reply   
-Cover what to do in the case of a man-overboard especially emphasizing having at least one spotter to keep track of where the victim is in the water.

-I would also suggest teaching one person on the boat how to run your boat in case something happens to you (medical emergency), including how to call for emergency response help in your area. That is a nice boat and I understand not wanting to turn the keys over to someone that doesn't know what they are doing but in case of emergency where someone is forced to take over and help bring you to an ambulance you will want them to be able to do it, and hopefully without damaging your baby in the process.

I worked in charter fishing for 10 years. One day another charter boat was running without a mate and the captain had a heart attack and died leaving his 6 passengers standing around on the boat staring at each other. I don't think they knew how to use the radio and luckily they were in cell phone range so they called back to the marina for help, I think they were too overwhelmed to remember to call 911. I may be a little off on those details but basically a bad situation was made worse by people that didn't know what to do.

-One last minor thing is telling your crew to load their stuff in the boat before you launch it. I don't know why but it seems that people going out for their first time wait until the boat is launched before putting all of their bags and gear on the boat which just ties up the ramp. I have no idea why this is but it happens alot.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-22-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
I am asking this question since the majority of guys I am taking out have not been on a boat. I will deliver this speech in a most cruelest, meanest and cold hearted way...

- Need to write down no cheetos....

@ Mojo-
When I ride/drive with my usual bunch (wife and family), everyone is spotting to be safe.

@ George-
Thanks for the heads up on the driver. I usually go out with my family and we have drivers a plenty. This shin dig will not. I will "appoint" someone the lucky #2 spot.

Thanks again.

Mario-
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-22-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
I usually try to come off as a d!ck with people that have never been on my boat before. Example, someone ask if their friend can come because they have never ____(fill in blank). I always say something along the lines of "Yes, but tell them shoes stay on the dock, the ride isn't free, and they will keep their arse in the seat until I tell them to stand." This is actually the exact opposite of the type of person I am, but it really weeds out the ones who think they are coming to have a careless party and leave as soon as we dock. The ones that do show are usually kind of shy until we start joking around (seeing we are here to have a good time ) but they are actually attentive as to what needs to be done.

BTW: My favorite "New person on the boat" prank is telling them to be sure to wipe out the bilge exit port to when wiping down the boat afterwards.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-22-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
Craig, that is kind of d!ck.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-22-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
WHAT ABOUT 1 bring money for gas 2 bring your own food 3 help wipe down the boat before you leave.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-22-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
Money is going to be split as we are camping as well. I was hoping for this type of delivery...

"THIS IS MY BOAT SCUMBAG!!! THESE ARE MY RULES!!!"

Luckily I have many years of experience to deliver this

m-
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-22-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
Rule #1- As soon as this boat turns off I need a cold brewski in a coozie in my left hand. Failure to comply results in immediate verbal berating.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-22-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
Gee sarge don't hurt me i was just funnin . I'm not a smart fella anyway.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-22-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
I do show where the safety devices are and I keep a cell phone in one spot just in case. If I am paying for gas, they are bringing the beer and ice and not the cheap crap either. What beer is left in the boat is mine to consume at a later date. Wipe down the boat after way and Babe's it is mandatory, no exceptions. No smoking on my boat or shoes. Reefs that have the bottle opener on the bottom are a NO GO! You can bring a friend as long as they follow the rules and NO DRAMA! Priority will be given to the ladies with the biggest chi chi's first. Extra points if you flash me from time to time. Other than that, have a nice boat ride!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
I would pass out that laminated list and test them before they are allowed on the boat. I would also make everyone wear an orange life vest - no exceptions.

Seriously, I would weed out the most competent, attentive, trustful person in the bunch, which I'm sure you will find more than one as the day goes on, and have them monitor and handle all spotter issues. Too many cooks with no one responsible for the taste of the soup. Besides you don't want ten people yelling in your ear.

Good luck with the no horseplay rule.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-22-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
"I would pass out that laminated list and test them before they are allowed on the boat. I would also make everyone wear an orange life vest - no exceptions."

And then make each of them write you a 1000 word essay, answering why they feel they should be allowed on your boat.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-22-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
"I would pass out that laminated list and test them before they are allowed on the boat. I would also make everyone wear an orange life vest - no exceptions."

And then make each of them write you a 1000 word essay, answering why they feel they should be allowed on your boat.
And don't' forget the five personal references.
Old    mojo            06-22-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
IMO, if you aren't riding behind the boat all you are responsible for is having a good time. if you want to give me beer or money that is up to you. if you ride, regardless of how much weight or how long i usually ask for 15 or bring your own 5 gallon can. i usually tell people to be safe and most of all have fun when they step aboard. and the hot women definitely get priority on music. i try not to let any uglies on the boat if i can help it.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-22-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
All those are pretty acceptable for new to boating folks.
Here's some for supposed experts/knowitalls.

1.Dont mess with the music,I don't get in your car and reach over and screw with your stereo,so don't touch mine.Yes, you can request certain music,but I don't have to play it.

2.Gas money,expect to kick in,or don't expect a repeat invite.

3.Beer,if you bring cheap beer,than you should probably go back to fishin.Also,don't act like it's your first beer,I need you to be coherant or you are more useless than I figured you'd be.

4.Don't start anything with other people on other boats,they won't remember your dumbazz,but they'll remember my boat,and god help you if they decide they're gonna finish what you started when I'm out there with my family.

5.If someone is standing on the swim deck taking a leak or enjoyin the scenery,wearing $100 sunglasses,and you push them off cause it's fun,and they lose their glasses,expect to buy them some new ones,or enjoy the shoreline and the walk home.

6.When we get the boat outta the water,back on the trailer,and up to the parking lot,it doesn't mean it's time to go home yet.Grab a towel and start cleanin,boat's not gonna clean itself.

7.Smokes,don't bother bringin them....other stuff is okay,but this is sometimes a family show so.......
Old    mojo            06-22-2010, 9:21 PM Reply   
man, ya'll are harsh. they are doing you a favor coming out with you just as you are doing them a favor bringing them. it's the boat owners responsibility to clean the boat, pay for upkeep, etc. if 1 friend pushed another friend in the water it is between them about reimbursement. i agree on smokes, but i'm a smoker so i allow them. just don't throw them in the water. i had an uber anal friend who did not drink, smoke , etc and was crazy about his boat and he allowed us to smoke on the transom when stopped. i think that is a nice compromise. smokers are people too. they are your boats so it's your call, but don't alienate friends because you are a jerk and expect them to suck you off because they came on your boat.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-22-2010, 9:53 PM Reply   
"but don't alienate friends because you are a jerk and expect them to suck you off because they came on your boat."

This is the truest thing I have ever read.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-23-2010, 12:28 AM Reply   
an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-23-2010, 6:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
"but don't alienate friends because you are a jerk and expect them to suck you off because they came on your boat."

This is the truest thing I have ever read.
My friends are never alienated. I usually turn down gas money, because it is a tax write off for us, and they are free to come along for a good time. In the case of strangers coming on my boat, I have had experiences as to where they preferred to act like children and act like they were in a bouncy house the whole time out. My method as posted above seems to have worked so far in keeping these types of people out of my boat.

Jeremy, in response to your first post, that is the point incase you didn't read the first sentence.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-23-2010, 6:43 AM Reply   
Craig, I was just being sarcastic.

I am just not usually that formal when someone new comes on the boat. I have always found that, if they want to be invited back, they will behave.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-23-2010, 6:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have always found that, if they want to be invited back, they will behave.
Well x2 then.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-23-2010, 10:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
man, ya'll are harsh. they are doing you a favor coming out with you just as you are doing them a favor bringing them. it's the boat owners responsibility to clean the boat, pay for upkeep, etc. if 1 friend pushed another friend in the water it is between them about reimbursement. i agree on smokes, but i'm a smoker so i allow them. just don't throw them in the water. i had an uber anal friend who did not drink, smoke , etc and was crazy about his boat and he allowed us to smoke on the transom when stopped. i think that is a nice compromise. smokers are people too. they are your boats so it's your call, but don't alienate friends because you are a jerk and expect them to suck you off because they came on your boat.
x 1mil mojo.

This is ridiculous and a great way to prevent anyone from wanting to come on the lake with you ever again IMO. Nothing like the feeling you are on eggshells when trying to enjoy a nice day on the water, right?

Boats can be cleaned, gas can be refilled, food and beverages can be replenished. My motto - provide and expect nothing in return. Seeing everyone enjoy themselves is all the reimbursement I need. People can catch onto things without a pre-trip briefing. We aren't guaranteed tomorrow. Good times are the gold - let them happen.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
my biggest problem with newbies (especially young kids) is the sitting down. The newbies don't understand how much the boat moves. I see people get up and start walking around when underway like they are in their living room. A need for one evasive move and in the water they go. Communicating the need to stay seated will save injuries.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-23-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
I agree with Brandon and mojo.....at some point you have to rely on common sense from your guests. When and if they choose to not use common sense you can feel free to enlighten them, but handing someone a list or giving them a speech before hand sets the tone, and not in a good way.

About the only thing I tell people before they get on the boat is to take their shoes off. If there are kids coming I make sure they know that their butts must be on the seat cushion when the boat is under way. Everything else is on a case by case basis. If someone broke out a smoke , sure, I'll let them know that I prefer them not to smoke on my boat.

I have never asked anyone for gas money, especially first timers. However, if they come out with me several times and continue not to throw in gas money, that may have an effect on whether or not I invite them out again. I have also never asked anyone (except my kids) to wipe down my boat. I generally start wiping it down myself and 99% of the time my guests will jump in and help. Truth be known, most guests do a crappy job of wiping down other peoples boats anyway, so I actually prefer to do it myself.

My advice is to lighten up and have some fun!!!
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-23-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
wow, I'm glad I own my own boat because if I had to live with rules like this I wouldn't boat! Come on, boating is suppose to be fun

General rules
1. There are no captains of this boat. But if someone wants to be and let me relax have at it
2. Show where fire extinguisher is. Then show me how to work it
3. Show where tossable floatation device is and tell me what the purpose of having this throw pillow is
4. No horseplay with clothes on
5. Define hand signals for riders for the following conditions:
-. hang loose
- nice move
-. beer please
-. out of beer
6. Keep all debris/trash inside the boat. Dump out when we stop at the bar
7. Tie the boat if we are staying for more then one shot

Spotter rules
1. Flag movements
-. See a Cubs or Blackhawks flag cool place to stop
-. White Sox flag, spray with hose
2. Keep an eye on the rider once he falls
3. Keep an eye on the rope:
-. Keep clear/away from board racks/boards
-. Keep rope from going under the boat
_only tie up the cute girls

Last edited by jame04; 06-23-2010 at 2:10 PM.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-23-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
Maybe I'm a d8ck at a differnet level, if you dont' have a clue about boats, your not coming on my boat. If I got on a boat and someone started spouting off rules, I'd either get off at the dock or swim back to shore.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-23-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
Im with Edgar.. Boating is supposed to be fun.. why make it stressfull on yourself and guests.... if you have to create a checklist of things to go over with your guests then maybe you should just flake and not take them out?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-23-2010, 10:33 PM Reply   
"If I got on a boat and someone started spouting off rules, I'd either get off at the dock or swim back to shore."

The second truest statement I have ever read.

Edgar's list was hilarious.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-24-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping more for "safety" items. Since the guys I will be pulling haven't been boating, I wanted to err on the side of caution and show them that they are safe. As for having fun, this is going to be a bachelor party camping/boating trip.

Thanks again.

No cheetos.

m-
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-24-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
I don't think it's a bad idea to clue people in who are not familiar with wakeboarding and the common sense rules of a boat. Surely there are friendly ways of doing such.

A few things that could save someone a trip to the hospital.

1. Don't mess with the rope when the driver is taking up slack. If you need to undo a tangle, wait until they take it out of drive and are aware of you doing so.

2. The prop is under the swim deck and forward. Don't come near the platform when the boat is running, your feet will thank you.

3. CO. It's back there.

4. Sit down and get comfy when the boat is running.

5. keep an eye on the rider and help your driver out.

6. Have some hand signals for the rider / driver

7. Don't drop off the line in traffic. In fact stay in the wake and wait until clear to drop or continue riding.

8. Don't spill **** all over.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-24-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
Going out on the boat is supposed to be a fun time (and almost always certainly is), but if there's a people ratio of 1:10 experienced to not, I would be setting some ground rules, too. That's a LOT of people (at least in my book).
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-24-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
I thought those rules were kinda harsh too, but didn't wanna say much until others chimed in. I'm always driving a boat load of jackasses out to the sandbar, the only rules I have is please try not to burn any holes in my boat with your cigarettes and no shoes/footwear on the vinyl. If people are really disrespectful i just don't invite them back.

Sorry, but your boat does not sound like a lot of fun.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-24-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
these rules seem kinda harsh...but, why are you going out with 10 inexperienced boaters?? the reason may make the rules seem less harsh...
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-24-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
I didnt have a list of rules until recently. I need to get them laminated and hung.

1. Dont pee on people swimming while standing on swim platform. The same goes with peeing off the side/front of a moving boat.
2. Dont flash the fishermen. Im sure they love your boobs, but your just encouraging them to stay in my line.
3. When you have to ****, swim away from the boat. And no you cant use my coozie to wipe.
4. When you have sex in the front of my boat, either use a condom or dont pull out. I'm not finding suprises on the carpet again.

These all stemmed from the last trip out to PK. Besides these, no other rules apply, have fun
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-24-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
Smoking on a boat is one of the dumbest things to do, and people that think they have a right to or that it should be normal need to wake up. Fiberglass filled with gas
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-24-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Smoking on a boat is one of the dumbest things to do, and people that think they have a right to or that it should be normal need to wake up. Fiberglass filled with gas
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-24-2010, 2:29 PM Reply   
Only "harsh" rule is the horseplay. Everything else is safety. Why am I taking out some many inexperience boaters? To give them experience.

m-
Old     (scott)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-24-2010, 4:43 PM Reply   
So which one of the clowns thats going is going to drive the boat while you ski? Just a thought! I would bring a least one guy with some experience to help you out!
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-24-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
I will be driving all weekend. My knee is braced @ 30deg flexion (lockout) for a strained MCL. I will have a 2nd back up driver if there is an emergency.

No riding for at least 3 more weeks.

m-
Old     (wakeboy01)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-25-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
I don't think the rules are too harsh for newbies. Spotting hand signals and what not fo sho.

For the amount of money and time you put into your boat (which a lot of people don't realize that are just on the boat) if they can't hack a couple of rules and pay attention to make things easier on you then they shouldn't be on there. I also don't think it's out of line to ask for gas money ONCE when organizing the outing. Don't push it obviously and if they don't remember well then it's the owner's position to invite them back. But your boat is taking wear and tear. Gas just a piece of the pie, mechanical issues, wear on your appholstrey, oil and transmission changes, etc. So I don't feel bad asking for gas donations. Then again you're the owner so you don't have to have people on there.

I like the "they may not remember you, but they will more than likely remember my boat"

no cheetos... good to know!

So my question to this group is how do you handle drinking and wakeboarding?

This will be my first year as a boat owner out and I'm kind of leary about drinking and riding. My family never drank until the riding was done. I feel if you want to ride you are there to ride. If you don't have the balls to try a roll or some trick sober you shouldn't try that trick w/ that liquid courage you have later. If you're done riding and I don't need you driving then I have no problem as long as you're not falling over or puking.
Old    mojo            06-25-2010, 5:07 PM Reply   
first of all there's a way to teach people how to properly be involved in boating and the wrong way. the wrong way is to hand out a list. the right way is to let them watch you drive, give out tips, and let them drive while you sit next to them and tell them what they are doing wrong and right. as a driver if you can't single handedly keep up with your rope, rider, and driving you should not be driving. when someone is getting in the boat a rope coiler is nice. as for smoking on a boat, been doing it forever. if you think your boats going to blow up because of it you're dumb. as for drinking and riding it's not a good idea, but i've done it so many times. you will not improve if you do this. if it's super hot and crap water have a beer before hand, but after is always better. also, on the water alcohol affects you up to 3x more than on land.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-29-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
I do not give out rules beforehand, but I will ask for basic help with the flag or pulling in the rope or whatever else. Definitely no shoes. I have no problems teaching responsible people how to drive. Not on a crowded 3 day weekend, but on a mellow day. I also like it when my boat savvy friends take the initiative to want to drive and stay sober so I can relax and crack beers.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-29-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
So here is how it went down.

The crew asked if shoes were to be taken off. Yes please.

I showed the crew:

1. Fire extinguisher location
2. Life vest locations
3. Throwable floatation cushion location

I explained to them simple hand signals and flag ettiquette (up for rider down, wave back and forth for distress). Everyone was cool with that.

All of them were pointing out boats and yelling "DOWN!". This was all on them. They used common sense and made sure I was aware from all sides.

And yes, no cheetos. Common sense was king this past weekend. I was never intending to hand out a list to any of the crew. The list I made up originally was for me. Overall, the weekend was a 10 out of a 10.

Mario-
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-29-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
Nice. Glad to hear it went well.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-29-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
"1. I am the captain of this boat. My rules will be followed."

Did you make them call you captain?
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-29-2010, 9:05 PM Reply   
Oddly enough, they called me Captain on their own. I would have preferred Admiral, but Captain was just fine.

Mario-
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-30-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
Did you wear a captains hat with the scrambles eggs on the bill?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-30-2010, 11:02 PM Reply   
Yeah, like Judge Smails
Attached Images