Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-09-2007, 5:35 AM Reply   
Hi,

Does anyone have any photos of the old board known as the "K2 Woody"? It was made popular by Greg Nelson early in the days of wakeboarding, and in the film Gravity Sucks. If anyone has photos, details or leads on where I could buy someone's K2 Woody, it would be supremely appreciated. My site The Wakeboard Report is the top hit for the term and - I have nothing useful on the topic despite Google-bombing myself into top-ranking status on that term.

Thanks,
Erik

(Message edited by juniorhawk on February 09, 2007)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-09-2007, 6:48 AM Reply   
I might, let me look around, I will probably have to scan it. I am a little embarrassed to say it but I have almost every single wakeboard magazine they ever released, Including the first edition, signed by Dean Lavell.

(Message edited by andy_nintzel on February 09, 2007)
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-09-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
I have an O'Brien Woody from the early days of wakeboarding. It is surf style with a wood grain deck.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
The K2 board was actually the same board as the Wake Tech Big Daddy. You mighty have a little more luck finding one of those. Greg's section in that video is still probably one of my favorite video sections today.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-09-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips.

@brinks, I will look into the Wake Tech Big Daddy but seeing the new Ronix Frontier really reminds me I need to get my hands on one of those old K2's. And I would be lying if I said that Gregg's part in that video didn't inspire me to ride with a ball cap on from time to time. :-( Forgive me, I was in high school and was impressionable. Anyway - the nose bonks over docks just pretty much blew my mind - that video contained the first footage most of us had ever seen of anything like that. I need to go re-watch that video. Someone should commit it to youtube (pending their legal approval).

(Message edited by juniorhawk on February 09, 2007)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       02-09-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
here!

If you need a single shot or something, I could do that for you on sunday. I'm going out of town right...now!Upload
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
Erik, Nelson also did a promo video for the k2 board. It was also know as the fat bob. Andy I also have all the wake board mags and videos. I showed a friend WAKE THE BEAST he was tripping out on how good bylery was on the BIG AIR. Those were the days when Nelson did a back side roll drinking a coors light.
Old     (tsbs)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-09-2007, 3:37 PM Reply   
Greg Nelson actually rode a wakeboard.... Here I was thinking they super imposed his face on someone else's body all this time.

Just think.... Now all he does is play golf and think of ways to make wakeboarding all corporate.

Too bad... The guy was a bada$$ in his day.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       02-09-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
squid, do you have that promo vid? I've always wanted one, and I know that greg only had one copy of it. FLF made it.

and who all called that board the fat bob? The fat bob is also a wide snowboard that was produced by K2. I'm pretty sure it was the very first wide snowboard they every produced.

Greg Nelson is legendary. It's pretty hard to ***** his spirit at this point. I watched the DU experience a few weeks ago and it made me think back to my days with those dudes when they hit up fort fremont for the day...those were some of the best riding days of my life, and I couldn't believe that i had the chance to ride with one of my heros (that'd be greg). It was a treat to see collin spin up and down the river, and witness luke wulf's smooth, versatile. Regardless of the trick he did, it was huge. At any rate, it just reminded me to never stop caring about this...
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-11-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
Drooling at that K2.
I don't suppose its for sale?
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-11-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
Electric, I will see if I can find that video it was at a shop back in the day so it could be lost forever. I will check for you. I am almost sure when the same shape was green and purple colors they called it the Fat bob. Yes riding with Greg and Collin are a treat. I had a friend that lived in truckee and they were all huge snow boarders they all rode so different back then compared to how others rode a wakeboard. They were trying blind 180's before reg 180's back in about 93.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       02-12-2007, 5:17 AM Reply   
Squid, I'd appreciate that more than you'd know. Regardless, thank you for the effort. And that whole NW/West side ifluence from way back in the day is a pretty big deal to me. They all DID ride differently...their whole lifestyle was interesting to me

Erik, sorry, there isn't anything in my collection that's for sale. If I have doubles of something, I usually try to pass them on to people who are totally down and who I know would appreciate them. but that woody is a one of a kind for more than one reason. I've only seen one of them on ebay (not where I bought mine). and back in 01 or so is when I bought the second k2 wakeboard. the woody might be hard to find...I have a funny feeling they were pretty fragile. It's ridiculously light (esp, compared to the brown jobby) and there's a pic in a wbm from 1994 with john zinatti (sp) standing on that infamous dock from spray, while strapped into his broken woody.

but here's another classic shot for you. it's from the second issue of wbm...Upload
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
Electric, that shot brings back memories. Back when the sport was so young no one cared about what tricks you had to do. Just clearing the wake with a big nose boned grab was fun. Like you said the east coast riding was so different then the NW riding. The east was doing trick ski tricks and the NW was trying to ride like a snow board or skate board.