Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       10-05-2016, 10:36 AM Reply   
I purchased a new 2015 G21 at the beginning of the season that came with the 4 stock tower speakers. I pulled off a set of REV10s and WS amps and had them installed in the boat. We used the original power and ground wiring to a distributor to run the three amps.

The stereo originally sounded amazing! Interiors and towers both crisp, loud and giving a great range of audio.

Lately, it has sounded sort of muffled. At the same volume levels, the tower speakers are no where near as loud and sound distorted. The in boats left channel has stopped working almost all together and the right channel also are muted with distortion.

I am showing 12+ volts on the voltmeter indicating it isn't a power issue. I am not sure where to go from here as the problem isn't limited to a single amp or speaker. It seems like the entire system is taking a crap. Could this be a ground issue?

Any suggestions are extremely appreciated before I have to bite the bullet and take it to an audio shop.....

Thanks all!!
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       10-12-2016, 5:28 AM Reply   
Bumping this up.....heading out on the water tonight.

Hoping for any suggestions....
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-12-2016, 7:37 AM Reply   
You might check with your dealer. I have a feeling it is the same issue many people had that used the Murphy/JL system. I can't remember all the details but the system was all designed to work on OEM JL Audio equipment only. Something about a non differentiang ground????? I know that Wetsounds had a line of amps that would work and Exile made a work around cable to make all of their amps work. I want to say that Nautique also had a work around. I don't know if this is your issue, but I would start with your dealer and if they don't know call the guys at Wetsounds and Exile. I am sure they can describe the work around a bit better. Exile probably has the cables that you need if so.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-12-2016, 8:25 AM Reply   
No, the Murphy issue doesn't sound like what's going on here. The issue with the Murphy system is it uses balanced differential outputs. If an amp has non balanced non-differential Inputs. It will send the Murphy into protect or only one side of the audio plays.

All our our current amplifiers have differential inputs. The SYN-DX, HTX and SD. So since things were playing before. Then starting to have issues. Sounds like something else is going on.

Seems strange to start having everything start to sound muffled. Couple things to try. Make sure all batteries are charged. Maybe the audio battery hasn't been getting charged. You hang to click the perko to all to get it charged. I've seen this happen. Are the amps going into protection? If so, ours amps will flash codes to tell you a short or low voltage or other issues going on. Also, for everything to start to sound bad. Sounds like it could be source or signal related. Check all connection on signal. Check connections on phone. Check to make sure no settings changed on source unit.

You can give us a call at 877-938-7757 and ask for Joe F or Robbie. They can walk you through some other things to look for.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-12-2016, 6:57 PM Reply   
To add to TIm's post, try a different source, such as the AM/FM tuner.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       10-14-2016, 5:26 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses guys!

Tim, I am running 12+ volts from both batteries. One of the first things we checked, we also checked it at 15 minute intervals to make sure the batteries weren't draining and giving us a high initial read.
The amps are not going into protection.
I have tried multiple sources, including Bluetooth, USB, Auxiliary and FM. Haven't tried a CD because I haven't had one on the boat.

Tim, if you are at all leaning toward something being signal related, could it be the head unit? Or, could there be any issues with RCAs 'going bad' over the course of a summer? IE - moisture or corrosion? Wondering if there could be anything else I can eliminate as possible problems.

I'm going out on Saturday and can spend some time checking into any suggestions you guys have. Thanks again!!

Might bring the Jambox and zip tie it to the tower until I get this fixed.....lol!
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-14-2016, 5:55 AM Reply   
Get a 3.5mm to rca adapter and direct plug your phone into the amps. Volume won't be there but you can check clarity. If so, then rca connections, or bad rca or bad source unit and so on.

Best thing to do is start ruling things out and checking one by one. Check all connections for rca as well as power and grounds on source and amps.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       10-14-2016, 7:12 AM Reply   
Thanks Tim!

I'll start the checklist this weekend. Your advice is always appreciated.

Love that you guys back your product and give advice like you do. Speaks volumes to your product.

Nate
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       10-18-2016, 5:36 AM Reply   
Hi Tim, et al:

I got the adapter you recommended and connected to each of the amps directly from my iphone. Each amp and connected speakers preformed as they should, loud and clear.
Not sure where to go from here....do I start replacing all of the RCA cables from the head unit to the amps? Or could this issue lie with the head unit somehow?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-18-2016, 9:41 AM Reply   
So you've proved that amps and speakers are okay.

You can use a single RCA to plug in from the head unit to each amp - this eliminates your existing RCA's to see if they're good or not. You can just run them temporarily for troubleshooting purposes.