Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2016, 6:36 PM Reply   
Is brostock happening this year??
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-16-2016, 8:48 PM Reply   
Who cares? They need to take it back to Bull Shoals and make it about the riding again. This event has become like everything else in the boating/wakeboarding industry and is about big boats, big stereos, partying, and showing off your money. My guess is a very small percentage of spectators at recent bro stocks actually ride. The contest itself has become "huck and hope" cause the conditions are so bad.

Bro stock used to be an annual pilgrimage for riding enthusiasts to ride all day, camp out or houseboat, interact with the pros and see some mind blowing riding in the afternoons. Seems today it's just another party on the Ozarks with the Ozarks party crowd.

I have never been but know several different groups who have attended at both venues and shared this feedback.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-18-2016, 7:30 AM Reply   
Seen it happen many times. Boardstock, SpringRide, and Brostock all suffered the same fate. Sponsors want to see a return on their investment, and the party crowds don't buy gear.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-18-2016, 12:07 PM Reply   
Bummer, sounds like its time to start a new event
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-18-2016, 1:45 PM Reply   
did any of those events charge admission? I was surprised the first time I walked into the DFW PWT event for free. Events need a new model, thats for sure.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-18-2016, 2:09 PM Reply   
Pro Tour events charged 15$ for entry, however, if you knew any industry people (which is most of the wake community) you could easily acquire passes. Boardstock also charged. SpringRides do not. I'm not sure about Brostock.

I don't believe that admission fees are a barrier.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-18-2016, 9:27 PM Reply   
Stephen,

Hey man I didn't mean to bum you out on this... and I don't know that anyone has been able to confirm or deny that there will be a Brostock 2016 and where it might take place. It seems to me the last couple years that LF has waited until about the last possible minute to announce the event. Like they will announce in April that Brostock is second weekend in June. That seems to be the trend the last couple years.

Again, early announcement doesn't really matter if it's on Lake of the Ozarks. There is a huge party crowd down there every weekend regardless so they can always rally a crowd for an event like this. It's just not the crowd of Brostock pasts that planned houseboat weekends and towing their own boat down to Bull Shoals to do a long weekend of riding while also attending an industry event.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-18-2016, 9:36 PM Reply   
And to Jarrod's point, I'm not sure what LF and other sponsors get out of this.

They almost can't charge admission for the event when you just tie up your boat up to the flotilla and hang out. I don't think they shut a cove down cause they do it right by a pretty popular on-water bar don't they (attributing to the crappy riding conditions). Maybe there is admission to the bars that host the award events, but if you've watched the videos from last couple years it doesn't look like that many people there (in the bars when the winners are being announced). If I'm an Ozarks party rat that doesn't care about wakeboarding, why would I pay a cover at bar "X" to see someone get awarded $10k for wakeboarding when bar "V, W, Y, and Z" are all next door on either side and have no cover?

So it's really interesting to me what LF get's out of this. Again, I don't see many of the attendees at the Ozarks events getting inspired to buy lots of wake gear. Wakesurfers maybe? There does always seem to be a lot of inboards in the party vids but these days that's not indicative of what you do with the boat.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-18-2016, 9:39 PM Reply   
Again, I've never been so maybe I'm just talking out my a$$. But my buddies that have gone said that at Bull Shoals they did tons of wakeboarding, had more meaningful interactions with riders and industry people, and saw a better caliber of riding due to good water on the secluded lake.

At Ozarks they saw more boobs....
Old     (Giesh164)      Join Date: Mar 2012       02-19-2016, 9:30 AM Reply   
Dyost is spot on with what he said. I've been to Brostock both at bullshoals and the ozarks. Bullshoals was awesome. I remember being in a cove and watching wake boat after wake boat take turns taking their sets. Once they were done, a different boat would pull anchor and get suited up. We would just anchor and watch till it was our turn. Lots of fun, Nothing like that at all at LOZ
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-19-2016, 7:43 PM Reply   
Oh man, taking it back to Bro Stock at Lake Powell... **** show and zero ROI for anybody involved and not surprised it hasn't been back. One of the best weekends of my life but only heard about the riders sponsors. Park service don't play around which everybody found out shortly. I found my way to a chopper ride of death and no way it can be topped. Truly the best weekend of my life as a partying adult, then it was time to grow up.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-20-2016, 5:18 AM Reply   
If it doesn't happen, it's probably due to lack of sponsorship money.
Old     (landonpowell)      Join Date: Feb 2015       02-20-2016, 10:49 AM Reply   
I had a brief talk with JD Webb, he said 2015 was the last year of Brostock, but something else fun will happen.
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       02-20-2016, 3:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonpowell View Post
I had a brief talk with JD Webb, he said 2015 was the last year of Brostock, but something else fun will happen.

Was it JD's last year or is Brostock gone for good?
Old     (landonpowell)      Join Date: Feb 2015       02-20-2016, 4:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoShack View Post
Was it JD's last year or is Brostock gone for good?
If i understand what your asking, last summer i rode with JD and he said that 2015 was the last Brostock. But he also said that they have been saying Brostock was over a few years ago. But yes he said 2015 was the very last Brostock.