Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (WakeNasty)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-23-2015, 8:45 AM Reply   
Ok Guys I need help. I have never surfed before and we are looking to start. Everybody in my family ether skis or wakeboards so I am not too concerned that we will be able to pick it up quickly. With that said I am really only thinking that we will surf when the wakeboarding and skiing conditions are bad, or if we are looking for something relaxing to do for the day. I am working with a 1998 Air Nautique… #1100 of balest in the back and #600 in the ski locker. I know this is not the optimal Surf Boat, but it is what I have and I am not switching boats anytime soon. With all of that my local wake store has the Ronix Koal Power Tail on sale for $300 and I am thinking of picking it up. My Questions are 1. Will this be a good surf board for me and my boat, I know the surf wave will be smallish. 2. Will we be able to progress on the board, Not looking to go pro, but also don’t just want to stand behind the boat and ride straight. 3. Will this work as a “boat” board? I am about 220, other riders will be my kids and wife 100-130. 4. What size I was thinking of the smaller size I think 4’11” or should I go 5’6”. %. Is the Koal Power Tale a surf board That I should even be looking at? My options are limited here in ND so please keep that in mind. My only other thoughts were a HL Broadcast. Thanks for the help.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-23-2015, 9:22 AM Reply   
looks like a decent shape. Broadcast is gonna be more of a cruiser. Koal looks like you could progress on it. I'm 205 and rode a 4'10" board with similar shape over the weekend. you should be fine on the 4'11"

Biggest thing in surfing is your wave. you can have the best board under you, but if the boat isn't running enough weight, it just isn't going to work well
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-23-2015, 10:42 AM Reply   
I have a ronix power tail, but have only ever ridden it behind our '14 23 LSV with surfgate. I am progressing on it fairly quickly, being a beginner. But I have ridden a few friends boards, phase5 colt, victoria factor. Both are way faster than the power tail, however I can recover easier on the power tail. Sorry, not entirely helpful.

I can say I'll probably outgrow the power tail in a matter of months from purchasing it.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-23-2015, 2:21 PM Reply   
Get the 4'11. Throw away the stock fins wake fins and order up some fcs style surf fins. Q3xs or similar size will work best.

Nick
Old     (WakeNasty)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-23-2015, 3:41 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone. Nick have you ridden a power tail? I did get the 4'11" I was not sure if that was a good choice. You don't get much help as our local store. The guy who helped me had never ridden before. I hope it works with my boat.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-23-2015, 5:48 PM Reply   
No, I've never ridden one. I played with them and fixed a lot of them. They are not the fastest board out there, but speed is not going to be your problem.
You will be able to ride the 4'11, especially as you advance but the 5'6" will be better for you to start with. However the 5'6" is really large for your wife and children.

The broadcast is one of the most common boards sold, largely because of availability (HL is sold everywhere) but also because it is pretty easy to learn to get up and stay in the wave with.

Nick