Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-09-2011, 4:49 PM Reply   
I have a velvet drive behind the 454 in my Supra. I know it takes ATF but what type? Dexron III? Or? Also how much? Any reason to run anything fancy in it or just plain ol' cheap dino stuff? Also, what is the change interval on these?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-09-2011, 6:30 PM Reply   
If you're talking the v-drive it takes 30wt non detergent the trans uses DexronIII.If you have a v-drive there's a trany between the motor and v-drive.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-09-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
No this is a a direct drive. Engine, trans, shaft. Trans is a Velvet Drive. Not sure if it's a model 71 or 72, but I'd imagine they take the same fluid. 72 I think has an extra clutch disk and is probably what I have since it's a big block? So Dexron III for the trans? How many quarts? Want to get fluid and do this after work tomorrow.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-10-2011, 8:08 AM Reply   
According to the 70C and 71C manual which both trannys are in. It states

Transmission Fluid

Dexron II, Type F, and other hydraulic transmission fluids which meeting Detroit Diesel Allison Type C3 specifications are recommended for use in all Velvet Drive marine transmissions.

So here is my problem with the above statement. If you find a Tranny fluid that states it is for use in Dexron II applications, the fluid specifies not to use it in transmissions that required Type F. So I am confused.

The reason I care so much is because my Velvet Drive 71C V-drive unit. It is blowing fluid out the spring loaded vent. I think the fluid is foaming, but I don't really know. So I changed the fluid again but this time with Auto Zones Dex/mer fluid.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-10-2011, 6:30 PM Reply   
Type F is less lubricating than Merc III. It will give a firmer shift but wears the trans more and is not as resistant to higher temps. A trans designed for Dex should not be run on type F. Every type F trans I've rebuilt (FMX, C4, C6) I've used Dex III with the new bands and clutches. I don't think it's a good idea to change from one to the other using the same clutches and bands as the old fluid is soaked into them and won't react well.

Regardless, I put my new trans cooler in tonight and used Dex III in it. I had a helper keep a hose on the cutlass bearings and popped it in and out of gear a couple times and it seems fine. I expect no trouble on the water this weekend. The old fluid that came out didn't smell like Type F so I assume it was probably Dex III. There was a small amount of friction material at the bottom of the trans case (used suction oil changer) that I saw on the oil sucker tube. Not much, but I guess on an '89 some friction material is to be expected to be worn. No idea if the trans was ever rebuilt but it shifts smooth and doesn't slip so I'm not worried about it. Just wanted to do some preventative with the oil cooler and fluid change.