Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-28-2011, 4:09 PM Reply   
I'm not too anal about my boat and keeping everything perfect, but wow... Boat in the water for 3 weeks getting used every day and a couple days worth of kids in the boat is enough to make you go insane! Haven't had time yet to thoroughly clean the boat but have a slight water line, a couple small scuffs from the fuel dock and the side of my bow being covered in mud (no idea how he did it, kids can be so much fun but a nightmare too!), and of course water spots and such on the upholstery. Park at the dock for 10 minutes before moving to the mooring and the boat is full of pine needles. Tried to keep things under control but there's only so much you can do and still enjoy your vacation. I've always said it's only a boat, it's the memories that matter.

So now that I've got work squared away for the week I need to get the boat cleaned up this weekend. I prefer stuff I can get locally at normal stores so I can go nuts on it this weekend but let's hear what you guys use. For vinyl I've used Meguiars which I've used on my car, but it takes some scrubbing to get the tougher spots clean. I use a soft bristled brush to get hard stuff out. What do you guys recommend?

How about exterior? I've tried a few different car washes and boat washes and nothing works that great, especially low for the scum line and any discoloration. One product I found that works pretty well but is still laborous is Collinites no 920, works well for scum lines and discolorations. I think it's time I get a buffer and compound the gel though. What do you guys recommend for this? What to follow it up with for wash and wax?
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-28-2011, 10:32 PM Reply   
I just spent 5hrs cleaning my boat today, my sundeck for some reason even after regular wipe downs gets deep caked in dirt/sweat.

my recommendation to make your boat like new:

INTERIOR:

Vinyl - since you want something you can get local: Dollar General or Dollar Tree get "LA's Totally Awesome" (clear spray bottle yellow liquid red lettering) don't dilute it, just spray it right on. Spray, scrub w/ brush, then wipe w/ paper towel, repeat, depending on how dirty your boat is and caked in dirt (you'll be surprised) i would do this 2-5x until your vinyl looks brand new.

let dry a bit, then get 303 Aerospace Protectant (found at most auto parts stores or marine stores like west marine) just spray and wipe w/ towell or microfiber.

ok done w/ vinyl

Dash/fiberglass under seats - i found this stuff at west marine, they'll probably have it at local marine stores its called "Starbrite Super Spray" it's good for pretty much anything, fiberglass, vinyl, rubber, metal etc. i spray that on and just wipe w/ microfiber towell

Carpet - Vacuum, and either steam clean w/ a small cleaner or you can just buy "Blu-Coral Dri Clean" found at most auto parts stores, spray it all over the floor and scrub w/ a brush and just let dry.

EXTERIOR

now there are a few options:

long way to do it, is wash it w/ regular soap/water, then mix a 70/30 mix of Vinegar and Water in a spray and go along the boat and spray/wipe clean. IF YOU DO THIS make sure you do a full wax after cause the vinegar will strip your wax.

recommended once a year for me: instead of boat/auto wash use toilet bowl cleaner will strip everything so wax right after

other way is instead of using vinegar use the stuff i mentioned above, "starbrite super spray"

then follow it up w/ a nice quick detailer wax or whatever your choice.

pics below is after my 4-6hr cleaning sessions once a year.

2006 w/ almost 400hrs on it, sits in water during the week.

Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-28-2011, 10:49 PM Reply   
Babes exterior cleaner works GOOD, babes interior cleaner works GREAT. If you have white vinyl use Spray 'n' Wash and scrub it out followed by a water soaked towel followed by a dry towel. Ohh and one trick for smashed down carpet is a (new obviously) BBq brush followed by a vacuum
Old    ScottRobinson            07-29-2011, 8:28 AM Reply   
Check out Chattwake's thread....it tells all on the cleaning supplies
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-29-2011, 10:49 AM Reply   
I have used Starbrite Vinyl cleaner for almost 10 years on the Xstar, works great with a soft/medium bristle brush to dig out the dirt/oil from the vinyl. Haven't used any other vinyl conditioners or such (Upholstery shop actually told me to not use anything that makes the vinyl shiny because it shortens the life).

I also used a product called Spray Nine Boat Bottom Cleaner on the waterline/scumline that had gotten pretty bad. That stuff seems really aggressive but the work it did was amazing. It got off stains and waterspots that had been there for many years. I didn't see any negative side effects from using it anywhere, including the decals. I need to get another bottle to finish the underside of the boat.

Other than that, a pressure washer, shop vac, occasional wax and little vinegar and water between cleanings is all I use.
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-29-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
+1 on Dollar Generals LA Totally Awesome Cleaner paired with 303 conditioner.

For hull cleaning once a year I use Tony's toilet bowl tonic which consists of 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and toilet bowl cleaner. Wax after.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-29-2011, 3:11 PM Reply   
here's a question: what do you guys use for the bottom hull, i clean the best i can, get the scum line all that, but the white part of the hull has algae on it and is a rougher surface than the painted gel coat.

Spray Nine?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-30-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
OK thanks for the tips guys! I have a few tough spots, haven't got to Dollar General yet but might try to find some of that stuff this weekend. The tough spots on the vinyl are a couple spots where pine sap fell and hardened. I've got the sticky sap off using Meguiars, scrubbing with a soft brush, and my finger nail. it has left a small stain though. Not the end of the world, but I would like to get it off, especially of the seats I just had reupholstered at the beginning of the season. Got any tricks for that or will the Totally Awesome get it?

Also, where do I start for buffing/compounding the gel? It's red and particularly after sitting in the water for a couple weeks exposed to the sun it is showing that haze that all red boats show with time. Will compounding remove some of the smaller light scratches in the gel? It's an '89 and the gel isn't really bad at all, but does have some of the minor scratches and such that seem unavoidable after 22 years.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-30-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
I'm all about keeping the boat clean. I have a question though. How do you clean / wax while on the trailer? I've washed things down but I don't have any solution for where the bunks hit the hull.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-31-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
Not easily, that's for sure. Mine is difficult in that regard not just for the bottom, but for the sides. I have two bunk boards as guides in the rear on each side which makes a large section of the hull that I can't really get to on the trailer, I have to squeeze my hand between the boat and bunks and this section is never as clean as the rest.

The only thing I can think of in my case is to remove the guide bunks (wouldn't help that much) or use the lift rings and lift it off the trailer. I'd need a tall garage with some chain hoists for that though, which I don't have.. Though have a friend who could lift it off for me if I ever need it off the trailer and supported from above. Still would need to be on stands for me to get under it and properly do the whole bottom... Don't trust cables/chains to 4000 lbs hanging above me!
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-31-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
I use boat bling products for pretty much everything, their hard water spot remover known as hot sauce works great and actually contains 5% wax to help protect the gel coat. last time out i used LAs totally awesome on the vinyl since i was out of vinyl sauce and it takes a week or so to get ordering online and i needed something now. seemed to work good but i would recommend using some kind of vinyl conditioner after it. it can dry out the vinyl and cause cracks.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-31-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmobius2001 View Post
"LA's Totally Awesome" (clear spray bottle yellow liquid red lettering) don't dilute it, just spray it right on. Spray, scrub w/ brush, then wipe w/ paper towel, repeat, depending on how dirty your boat is and caked in dirt (you'll be surprised) i would do this 2-5x until your vinyl looks brand new.

[/IMG]
I picked up some of the Totally Awesome and hit the sunpad today. Man you were not kidding about how well that stuff works. I try to keep everything wiped down and thought that I was doing a decent job until I scrubbed the sunpad. It is about 6 shades lighter than the rest of the seats. I know what I will be using from now on.
Old     (ckdollar)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-31-2011, 5:47 PM Reply   
What kind of rag/brush do you use with that TA stuff?
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-31-2011, 6:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdollar View Post
What kind of rag/brush do you use with that TA stuff?
I used a handheld brush and 2 micro fiber towels. I sprayed the stuff on, scrubbed, wiped up and repeated as needed. Once the color of the cleaner did not change after scubbing I wiped witht the second towel. I scrubbed most places 3 times. I was amazed by how much dirt came out of the vinyl. The sunpad looks like it was just installed from the factory. I ran out of time to do the whole boat. Just means that I have my evenings are planned out this week.