Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-12-2016, 4:43 PM Reply   
I am just curious how big any of you surfers are. Ex college football guy 6 foot 300lbs. I can use long board beach but I'm struggling on wake surf board. Just tried the phase 5 Kong. No luck. Any suggestions?
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-13-2016, 7:05 AM Reply   
Try a Victoria board. I'm 250 and it has all the push I need. Also depends on the wake/wave.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-13-2016, 8:46 AM Reply   
There really are 3 factors to be able to surf well. Wave size, board, and how good your balance is.

There are some big guy boards though that will definitely help:
http://phase5boards.com/boards/2016-kong-surf/
http://www.inlandsurfer.com/board-shop/red-rocket
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-13-2016, 2:23 PM Reply   
Chaos magic carpet has shown to be able to surf with a 300+ man. Robert looks so happy with it! Stoked for him
Attached Images

Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-13-2016, 5:08 PM Reply   
Dave I have tried the Kong. No luck. Where do you find chaos magic? I probably need to show a pic of the wave.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-13-2016, 5:17 PM Reply   
the wave has a lot to do with your choices.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-13-2016, 5:39 PM Reply   
I'll see if I can find any photos of the wave. Those chaos boards look great. I regret just spending 850 on the one m trying now
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       09-13-2016, 7:27 PM Reply   
I started with a custom DoomSwell big step. It's my fave board. It was built for me when I was 6-3" & 315lbs. I'm currently 285lbs. I also have a Victoria pcx factor XL which is an awesome skim board for us big guys.
Old     (Livesound)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-13-2016, 10:21 PM Reply   
I'm 280, ride the chaos magic and yea I spent the 800 for the board and did not regret it one bit. But I surf behind my x45 with go surf assist and 4000lbs of ballast
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-14-2016, 6:25 AM Reply   
I spent 800 on the kong, decided to splurge a little. I regret it now, I wish I would have spent it on the chaos magic. They are so expensive, being in TN we don't really have places to try out any boards or demos.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-14-2016, 6:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettLee3232 View Post
I started with a custom DoomSwell big step. It's my fave board. It was built for me when I was 6-3" & 315lbs. I'm currently 285lbs. I also have a Victoria pcx factor XL which is an awesome skim board for us big guys.
Do you have any photos of the wave you had? really a skim board for us big guys? I don't believe it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-14-2016, 6:41 AM Reply   
wave is gonna be a huge factor. gotta be sacked hard or with a surf system. need to create more push, big dudes don't have much wiggle room on wave size/shape. its all physics. maybe try to ride a bit faster, will harden up the face and help you come down it instead of breaking the surface as much. likely need more weight tho.

once you get a decent wave (post pics) dialed, you WILL have better luck with boards. boards aren't cheap these days, so start with your wave
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-14-2016, 6:43 AM Reply   
Ok I finally have pics I think. Man I look huge! ha I know I need to lose but still with this board having weight limit of 350 and im nto close to that thought it would work. I hope these things posted.
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-14-2016, 6:52 AM Reply   
weight limits are such a broad range that they don't tell you much.

wave is blah. needs more weight and looks like it has a double lip. platform might be messing up the face. anyone else surf behind this boat? I'd be surprised.
Old     (drballenbc)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-14-2016, 7:21 AM Reply   
Agree wave is lacking. Why are you pulling up off a ski pylon? No tower? Post up your boat info and I bet others with the same or similar can give you some advice on how to get the best wave.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-14-2016, 8:43 AM Reply   
Nathan, get yourself a Chaos Ringer XXL. I actually designed this board first for some University of Georgia linemen. The Magic Carpet is a whole different ball game. This is a specific board designed with a specific purpose. Robert is not a small person, and he prefers to get up/launched in a specific way which required a much more neutrally buoyant board, not what one would typically do for a big guy.

http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/chaos-ringer-xl

There is a bright Tennessee orange option.....

Nick
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       09-14-2016, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNwakeboarder86 View Post
Do you have any photos of the wave you had? really a skim board for us big guys? I don't believe it.

Here's my skim, picture is zoomed in & I cannot find the original.

Here's my DoomSwell

Boat is a 2015 Moomba Mondo with over 3k ballast.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-14-2016, 10:02 AM Reply   
its a 2005 supra launch, we have a suck surf gate on, we have the ballast I believe 500 lbs in both back sides, and 850 in the middle or is it 1000. And four people usually. Now the regular side is WAY bigger, but this is goofy side. I am thinking you all are right, when im in the boat I sit in the back corner and the wake is huge for our others, but then when I surf it never is that great even if we put an extra 250 in the back. I think its bc I sit on the back cushion with feet on swim deck and the extra sack sits on the seat.
Old     (Livesound)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-14-2016, 10:02 AM Reply   
I find a steeper face helps me, I surf at 11.2. The more mellow the lip less push I have. I also find that I have to have good water to keep from blowing out my wave. My son at 140 can surf anything.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-14-2016, 10:04 AM Reply   
I am making a note of that maybe next year ill grab it, just spend over 800 on the kong net yet ready to splurge again. I AM GLAD people are saying not to buy the normal brands, usually that's all I shopped for.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-14-2016, 10:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
its a 2005 supra launch, we have a suck surf gate on, we have the ballast I believe 500 lbs in both back sides, and 850 in the middle or is it 1000. And four people usually. Now the regular side is WAY bigger, but this is goofy side. I am thinking you all are right, when im in the boat I sit in the back corner and the wake is huge for our others, but then when I surf it never is that great even if we put an extra 250 in the back. I think its bc I sit on the back cushion with feet on swim deck and the extra sack sits on the seat.
You need more weight (that's IN the boat, not behind the boat! hahaha). Find out how big of bags will fit in the rear lockers. 500 is pretty weak. 750's at a minimum.

In my boat, I run an 1100 surfside rear, 500+ non surfside, 400 under the surfside seats, 250 under the surfside bow, and an 1180 in the front locker under the playpen bow.

Agreed, it's 3 factors:
  • Wave
  • Board
  • Skill

2 of the 3 can compensate for the other. That said, I've heard great things about the Doomswell Bigstep that Brett mentioned. I ride it's little brother, the Nubstep.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-14-2016, 2:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettLee3232 View Post
Congrats on losing weight!
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-18-2016, 6:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
I am just curious how big any of you surfers are. Ex college football guy 6 foot 300lbs. I can use long board beach but I'm struggling on wake surf board. Just tried the phase 5 Kong. No luck. Any suggestions?
Nat,

email me about a real bigboy board and we can chat about your needs

Thanks
Mark
lakewakes@hotmail.com
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-26-2016, 3:36 PM Reply   
I have a doom swell 48 spark plug for sale. with chaos fins on it. it might work perfectly for you.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-26-2016, 3:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFanatic5 View Post
I have a doom swell 48 spark plug for sale. with chaos fins on it. it might work perfectly for you.
I ride a 4'6" Doomswell Nubstep and my wife rides a 4'4" spark plug. I really don't see even the 4'8" spark plug being a great fit for someone that's 6' tall and 300 pounds. Certainly the Doomswell Big Step mentioned above, but I would be skeptical for a spark plug for someone 4'8.