Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-10-2008, 12:43 PM Reply   
Ok, I sold my Malibu and I'm starting on a new project.

I found this boat is Salt Lake City and the guy was asking $9,999 obo. I've moved to Colorado but I figured I'd be in town over the July 4th weekend so I ended up buying it. Even got him down to $7K! I'm pretty impressed with myself for a 22' Mastercraft V drive.

Anyway, I picked it up, brought it home and now its at the upholstery shop getting everything and the carpet redone. I sold the old tower and I'm putting on a Krypt/bullet tower & rack, a new stereo. Replacing all the rubrail and insert (which the guy had lost) and trying to make it a pristine wake machine. Oh, and the steering wheel is being replaced. I'm stoked to have a new project, and it's my first V-drive. So what suggestions do you have to make it better?

Upload
Upload

And what suggestions would you have for getting the best wake out it?

Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-10-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
Nice find!

Slam it and reprop. I'd start with 1000 in the back and 500 up front. similar to your old tristar the boat will like a lot of weight in the back. That tower should look good too.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-10-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
It's got like a 20 pitch 4 blade on right now. Corvette engine. Karl at Board it up said to go with the ACME 1161, it's a 16 pitch.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-10-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
You opened it up yet?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-10-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
Well bring that thing back and let's take a set and figure it out. How is CO? Damn if I seen that thing for sale I would have picked it up! Great find and project!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-10-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
All I've done to test it was start it for a couple seconds, it had been sitting in his garage for 2 years. Started right up. I'm just crossing my fingers that the tranny is good. This guy was kind of a nut who lived way back in the hills. He had taken all the upholstery out of it and it was full of mouse droppings and trash. He had pulled the rub rail off, I guess planning to replace it then lost it. It needs some good TLC. I'm like the guy who takes lost orphans off the street and gives them a home. Or at least a good wax job, some new clothes an education then sends them back into the world. Boats should love me.

Josh, the boat is at a shop in Provo. They're doing all the upholstery and carpet for $1,500...I've seen his work and its pretty good. Still a little nervous.

CO is alright, not enough lakes, and I've spent the entire summer up at Vail Ski resort working on a $200 M project. I feel like I'm missing the whole summer. I've ridden once with Ryan Duckworth on his brand new X-star, that was sweet.
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-10-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
Sounds like one hell of a steal... Good luck with it!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-10-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
The trailer is galvanized, I personally hate the stuff, Should I go white or black? Wheels?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-11-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
I'd probably try to find someone that wants a galv. trailer, and trade them plus some of their cash.

Nice project! I do the same thing with old motorcycles. I just made $2200 on a 97 GSXR750 that only needed the carbs cleaned out and a new clutch.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-11-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
UploadUpload

This is what it looked like when I picked it up. I was able to find all the interior pieces, lets just say he had tried some duct tape upholstery patches.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-11-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
wow! will be cool to see what you can do with her.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-11-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
My family had a 96 225 maristar. Is was my first wakeboard boat. Back in the day I would fill up a full waterbed mattress in the middle of the seats and a fat sac up front. That made a very nice wake. I actually loved the boat. If I could do it again I would put 750 on each side of the engine and a ski locker sack and a fat sac up front. The wake would be stellar!!
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-11-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
Ditch the ski pole

Since you are having it re carpeted anyway.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-11-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
Done, one of the first things I did was to pull that pole, told em to carpet over the hole.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-11-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
From your date stamp on the pictures I would haft to say nice winter project! I hope you find your way down when you finish and show it off to the Utah riders!
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-12-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
I had the same boat in what looks like the same color! It needed a lot of weight but there's a ton of room for it.Definitely ditch the ski pylon. I sold it in near perfect condition for 22,500 three years ago. Nice find!
Old     (steverp)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-12-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
If you would like to get rid of the pylon, I am looking for one.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-12-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
I have from a 95 Supersport if that will work...
its a center mount just like that,
let me know
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-12-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
Ok, guys no hyjacking, nick send a private message if you want to work something out like that. I'm happy to part with the pylon. Send me a pm.
Old     (steverp)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-13-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
PM sent
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-16-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
I have the Microsoft Paint skills of a 2nd grader and I don't even own photo shop. So here goes. Here's my concept photo. Upload

SWEET.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-22-2008, 1:08 AM Reply   
hahaha awesome concept photo! And yes, I'm sure boats do love your unconditional love and foster system!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-22-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
The upholstery will be done on Friday, but my wife may make me wait a week till I can pick it up because she has some errands to run. Utah is about 300 miles from here so it does make sense for gas but I'm getting itchy to see it again. I only had it for a few hours before I took it straight to the upholstery shop.

Don't know if I made this list before but here's what I've bought for it so far.

Maristar 225V $7,000.00
Krypt Tower $1,010.00
Upholstery & Carpet $1,500.00
Acme Prop #1161 $382.00
Rubrail $224.00
Surfboard $160.00
Rack $140.00
Bags $129.00
JVC Stereo $92.50
Simer Pump $89.00
Steering Wheel $53.94

Plus I sold my old tower for $500, my old wakeboard $177 and I'll be selling the 4 blade stainless 20 pitch prop that is on it.

I've got a busy couple weekends of work on it before it shines like I want it to.
Book value on it is between $15-18k.

Even with all my upgrades I'm still below my $10k budget on this boat. Only a few small things left to purchase.

Oh and it has spotlights from the old tower, they have remote control switches, like a for car doors. And it has a depth finder.

Just hoping that I'm wowed by the upholstery, then I can start my work.

One last thing, The aluminum ski pole is listed on http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DSelling&vie witem=&item=220258223514&_trksid=p3907.m32 right now

(Message edited by robandrus on July 22, 2008)
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-22-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
Really, what a steal you got on your hands man. Wow.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-22-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
Rob, looks like a fun one man. I'm glad you're ditching the tower thats on there, the new one should look sick.

You going to be around this weekend? I have a 3-day weekend and sure as hell will be at the lake at least one day. Give me a call, man. Later
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-23-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
Ryan, you have no idea how bad I need a ride. I'm having nightmares that summer is over and hating on all the people I see on this site who post pictures of thier houseboat trips to Powell and Shasta, while I'm stuck in Vail. I'll definately be around this weekend. I'll call you.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-27-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
I love mine!!!Upload
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-06-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
Finally got the boat back. Here are a few pics of the exterior. I'll get some of the interior as well. Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

I don't really like the angle of the first two pics, but my goal is to show the progression as I work on this thing.

I like the Krypt tower but it was more complicated to assemble than the Monster or new dimension towers I've put on before. I think it really improves the look of the boat. I started painting the trailer and wheels, I think they look sweet with the black rims vs. the galvanized. It doesn't show it in the pics but I've mounted the rub rail, but still need to do the insert.

I have like 40 things left to do on my list before I call it a project. Including plumbing the ballast system, stereo, sanding, waxing, buffing. Not all of the seats are secured from the upholstery shop. I need to make some side walls by the engine. Mount the tower lights. Change the steering wheel. Mount the new prop. Reinforce a soft spot in the floor (the aluminum honey comb). Service the fluids. Fix the dashboard and finish painting. There's more but I can't remember it right now. It's definately coming along.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-06-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
It still looks like it is in Utah... How about a sneak peak if it's still here?
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-06-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
Is there anyway you can get a directly behind and directly in front to show off the tower.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-06-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
how do you like the new upholstery? have any pics yet?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-06-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
Still haven't had it on the water. I'm back in Vail, the boat is patiently waiting in my garage in Grand Junction. I feel pretty ok about the upholstery, but the guy didn't really follow my directions and it is a little un-even as to the coloring he used. The stitching is good quality though. I don't have pics of the final product, just some pics of the boat from last Thursday night when I showed up to get it after a month and he was only about half done. He got it done by 8:00 the next night, but didn't get everything fastened down. I was pretty pissed, he had it for a month and I had given him plenty of heads up.......

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-06-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
Looks good, that tower works really well on the boat. You are the first Krypt tower I have seen and I think they did a good job.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-07-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
How about scratch the tower lights and add another rack?
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-07-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
Rob,
I watched you progress on the Malibu and I must say, impressive to say the least.

Do you plan on stipping 'er naked like you did the 'Bu?

That teal and purple, not sure sure about...

interior looks nice though, can't wait to see more!
Old     (andrewg)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-07-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
Hi Rob,

I happened upon your post and I am happy that I did. I purchased the same boat back in November and I am getting ready to put the same tower on my boat in addition to adding some ballast. I had all of the upholstery repaired/repalced in my boat as well. Currently I am running the factory 3 blade brass prop that shipped on the boat from Mastercraft. What is the gain with the ACME prop?

What were the issues mounting the tower? I am concerned about the vents at the base of the windshield. It appears that you avoided them by moving the tower back? Did you need to reinforce the tower backing plate due to the thickness of the hull?

The boat throws a good wake with no ballast but I am interested in adding some to the front and the back. The back is obvious with the space on either side of the motor but where are you planning on putting the weight in the front?

I am stoked to watch your progress...any information is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
AndrewUpload
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-07-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
Jake, the gray and purple stripe at the bottom are annoying, I wish there was good way to paint it black. I did away with the purple on the interior. I think I'll leave the Mastercraft Logo, but I may strip away the shadow..its a bit faded and just looks dirty. It's coming along, but I wish I had more time to spend on it. My wife may kill me if I spend all day on it when I'm away from home 5 days a week.

Andrew....
I put 350lbs of sandbags...The playsand from home depot in plastic sacks in the ski locker. Should even things out a bit. I bought two 350lbs side sacks for the rear that I'll be plumbing in on a Simer BW85 from hardwareworld.com for $88. I plan to vent the sacs as well.

I haven't gotten it wet yet so I can't tell you the difference in the prop. Karl from Board it up recommended the 1161 ACME....Can't wait to try it.

I moved this tower back substantially from where the previous tower was, I think it turned out well, though I must admit I originally drilled an extra hole up by where the windshield ends at the back, but it would have been un even. Where I mounted the tower in the front it was curved. I used about 1/2 an inch of "kitty hair" on the back of the mounts.

The hardest part of the tower was the center bar, mine had some welding buggers on the inside that stopped the arms from entering in. They got stuck and I had to be creative to get them back out. I tried a lot to get the legs in. Finally I call Ken...To his credit he answered his phone at 7:30 pm on a friday night and helped me out. Eventually I cut 5" off of the end of each leg and they went in and I was able to center it up. The trick with the tower is to measure and tighten little bits at a time. There are lots of adjustments to be made to make sure it is centered. I measured the distance of the lower piece to the windshield to get it all centered up. Eventually it worked out but it was a bit of a process. I think the tower really looks great and it folds down nice as well. Hope this helps
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-07-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
I added 2 500 lb sacks on either side of the motor and a 400 lb sack in the ski locker. I had to upgrade to a acme 1156? prop. I get out of the water pretty darn fast, and I have 200 lbs in stereo, and another 200 or so in the tower. No to mention the cooler packed full of beer ;-). I still want to add more weight....
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-07-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
Josh, I need more friends before I need another Rack. The lights were on the old tower, they have a remote control, like for your car doors. may as well use em, at least pointing back so you can surf at night......On the other hand, they may not look that great up there.

As for tower speakers, I love the way they look, but I don't find them very useful as you have to blast out the people in the boat so that the rider can hear. maybe I'll just sell the lights on ebay.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-07-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
PS as far as a tower goes, I had a race car builder bent mine up for me. He did an awesome job on mine. Cost me $1200 total including powder coat.
Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-07-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
Rob, what do you do with the old holes from the tower?
Old     (andrewg)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-07-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
What is "Kitty Hair"?

Thanks
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-07-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
Its fiberglass resin bondo stuff with fibers in it that help to strengthen it.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-08-2008, 6:32 AM Reply   
Rob ~~ You don't need more friends for another rack, you just need another board! Project looks nice and I can't wait to see it in person if you bring it back to UT anytime. If your ever down on the weekends or anything let me know and I can probably get a pull set up for a day. Share some interior shot...
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-08-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
I haven't decided what to do with the holes from the old tower yet. They're really quite small. I'll probably just put tape behind them and fill them with a marine sealant of some type. If I wanted to do it right I would fill them with bondo then use a gel coat repair kit till they were hidden. My list is still long and thats pretty low at this point.
Old     (andrewg)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-08-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
Formula 27 should work well, it is close to the while gel coat color of the boat already so you should probably not even notice the patch job...boat bondo

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/376800074msk.htm?bct=t13100003%3Bcimaintenance-boat%3Bciepoxy-fiberglass%3Bciresin-filler-gelcoat

What is the deal with the steering wheel? One thought that I have had with my boat is to pull out the fake wood dash panel and replace it with a custom brushed aluminum job that a fabricator who works for me could make. I guess then the steering wheel would need to be upgraded...
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-08-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Just on a funny side note... Watch where you put the ballast pump this time.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-10-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
Finally got it wet at the end of the day yesterday. I started it in the drive way just to make sure it was running, it ran for about 10 seconds then died. I was pretty worried when it died. I tried to get it restarted for a while then finally decided it was out of gas. 33 gallons and $130.00 later it was full, started right up and ran great.

First of all the boat was really smooth. I was very impressed, however I must say I was underwhelmed at the hole shot with the new ACME. So I want to exchange it. Currently running the 1161. It's a 13.5" 16 pitch... I'd like to drop down to a 14" 12ish.... Anyone know what prop I should run?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-11-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
Interior pics.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Sorry pics look so bad, it was taken with my cell phone at about 5:45 this morning before I drove to Vail. I just felt obligated to you guys to take some pics before I left for the week. The interior is more colorful than I would have liked and the guy was a little inconsistent but it's not bad.

I got a bit done this weekend. I made some wall for beside the engine. I stripped the shadow off of the Mastercraft lettering and got rid of some decals. I mean who really cares if your boat has EFI anymore? I replaced the tire that blew out on the freeway and tried out the new prop. I put the rubrail insert in and got the new steering wheel installed......I was very McGuyverish in getting the wheel to work....

Anyway I talked to Acme and they recommended the 1433 prop and the 1617 as well. They said that the 1617 would give by far the best hole shot, but would cost about 5mph on the top end...If you care about that. Only down side is that it runs $559.00 from them. Wow thats a lot for a prop.
Old     (skatehawk11)      Join Date: May 2008       08-11-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
that looks ill, i wanna see the wake!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-21-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
Got the new ACME 1617, can't wait to try it out. Did the wet sanding, rubbing compound, finishing glaze and wax. Nice and shinny now. Also finally got the upholstery tightened down and I'm working on the final details.

I've had a heck of a time finding the right through hull fitting for the ballast, it's on the way.
I ordered the Evercoat filler, on the way.

I left the stereo in Utah, I'll have to pick it up next week.

Josh, I got laid off here in Colorado so I'm probably headed back to Utah.

Oh, and because I got laid off the boat is now listed on KSL.com.

Its coming along nice, hope I get to ride behind it.

I took it up camping last weekend, it was great, but without the ballast plumbed it was kind of a pain. I went to get in and had forgotten soap so I couldn't get my feet in my bindings....Went surfing instead, still had fun. If I ever do get a chance to put in some real time I'll start sacking this thing out.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-21-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
Rob ~~ I have been waiting for you to post up about the boat and how it is coming. Sorry to here CO is not working out for you and your family. I wanted to see the boat in person but didn't want it to happen this way. I got a buddie that is (was) interested in buying a boat but seems that he gave up being the ladder part of the season. I'm going to bring up your VRS and show him your add. Also you forgot soap and couldn't get your bindings on? Here is a secret... just spit on it and it goes right in ! Great job on the boat!

When are you planning to come back to UT?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-22-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
Yah, pretty retarded. I have an interview in Utah next week with Sahara.....Hope it works out. I'm not too sad about leaving Colorado. I miss Utah. No decent basketball around here...No decent lakes...My bindings are hard to get on even with lots of soap. Can't wait to get out on Utah Lake..

Oh, my jeep is for sale also...$6,500

UploadUpload
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-26-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
UploadUpload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-26-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
Stereo wired. Ballast plumbed. New prop mounted. Upholstery is now firmly bolted. Floor is reinforced. Dashboard repaired. Steering wheel replaced. New tower mounted. New board rack mounted. New carpet glued. Wet sanded. Rubbing compounded. Microfinishing glazed. Waxed. Cleaned. Trailer painted. Tail lights replaced. Trailer lights wired.

TIME TO RIDE!
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-27-2008, 4:15 AM Reply   
So sick. What a great project. Congrats man, she beautiful. Now go finish out the season with her!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-31-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of the wake, by the way, I'm 6'4" and Utah lake is a shallow lake. (about 7 feet)

For ballast I have the two 350's in the back and another 350 in the ski locker. If I was keeping it I would have at least another 750-1000 in sandbags hidden in the boat. Wake was clean and nicely shaped. I'm just out of practice.

Man it's amazing how much not wakeboarding all summer affects you. It was great to get out but I felt really weak.

Upload
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-31-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
Nice, I wish I could have made it the day you went out.