Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-04-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
If you spend most of your time riding behind a small wake or a non-wakeboat wake, what shape of board should you be looking at (larger rocker, fatter for more pop, etc.)?
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-04-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
a long skinny one with the bindings arrainged toe to heel.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       11-04-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
It must be the new Gator pro model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1o2yfaw4o

A big wake just makes everything that much easier. If you have to proper technique, you can do nearly everything on a small wake that you can on a big wake. I don't know if I would be trying to spin 1080's behind a bayliner though.
Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-04-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
Woo whoo there's hope for my boat yet. That looks like my wake.

I can't wait for an upgrade.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-04-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
Don't consider anything. It just make you that much better when you get out on a nice wake.
I can do a lot of stuff just behind a jetski, so don't let a small wake discourage you. Just watch

I ride a 140 Shane if that helps you at all.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-04-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
"If you have to proper technique, you can do nearly everything on a small wake that you can on a big wake."

I've been riding a long time and have heard this mantra forever. If there is one thing I have learned in my decade of riding......size and shape definitely matter in this sport.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       11-04-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
I agree totally. I was riding a 138 Baller and now ride the 142 legend. It made a HUGE difference in my riding because it fit my body size much better. To that aspect, it is a huge deal. However, can you say that there is a certain board that he should ride behind a small wake? I think he can ride any board he wants and IMO he is going to ride it the same whether it is a big or small wake. That is where technique comes in. Don't take me wrong, I am no expert and by no way have the greatest technique, but just cause I can't do it, doesn't mean I can't explain how to do it. (If that makes sense.)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-04-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
Smaller wakes don't require the bigger boards people are moving to (Like you said Jeigh) because you don't need the extra surface area for big landings and taking on the big,lippy wakes. A smaller board will be easier to spin or throw around and may help in regards to tricks. Most people ride behind a wake bigger than they need, so a bigger board helps them control it a bit more
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       11-04-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
That definitely makes sense. Are you still riding down in Indy?
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-04-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Wow, that video of AJ is impressive!
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-04-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
Skubz-I've been riding a long time and have heard this mantra forever. If there is one thing I have learned in my decade of riding......size and shape definitely matter in this sport.

hehe...thats what she said
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-04-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
All tricks switch are alot easier for me behind a small wake.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-04-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
SOB learned behind a boat with almost no wake. He learned how to go big with what he [didn't] have and now look at him with a big boy wake!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-04-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
Yea Jeigh, went out last weekend in the beautiful weather, but it was probably the last
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-04-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
yea sure almost everything is possible behind a small wake but it all looks horrible.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-04-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2008/02/exclusive_footage_of_a_young_s.html

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2008/03/scott_byerlys_720_from_skurfs.html

a wake that is bigger and better shaped is obviously going to be "easier". but look at what scott byerly had and look at how well he rode. i figure... unless you can ride that well or better... with a setup like that. you shouldnt be complaining. work on your technique.

not saying that big wakes are a bad thing. i love them. i just think that too many people nowadays look at them as mandatory to have fun wakeboarding.

just my 2 cents
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       11-05-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
It is that time of year. We are probably going to ride this afternoon and that is probably going to be it for the nice weather. We may still try to stick it out for my birthday in 2 weeks though. We will see how that works out though.