Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-06-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
I know I've seen threads on this but just wondering:

1. American airlines says "Checked baggage which is larger than 62 in/157 cm will be charged at the rate of $150 per piece." so will my 142cm wakeboard be okay/under that?

2. Do i need a bag for it?...or just slap the sticker on and send her off?

3. I was thinking about sending it UPS but I donno if it will be there in time

What would everyone recommend.
Thanks!
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       11-06-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
I was wonderin the same thing.. i'm planning to check out the Worlds next year at camsur in march, doin some ridin and visiting some relatives @ the same time...maybe i should just rent boards there...hmmm
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-06-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
"Do i need a bag for it?...or just slap the sticker on and send her off?"

do you really trust the baggage handlers to handle your board with care? shoot, I barely trust them to handle a padded board bag stuffed with towels. it would actually be cheaper to ship it, but you did say you might not have enough time.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-06-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
Yeah, it would be cutting it close one time...

I may just go UPS it and get 2 day or something, it will still be cheaper than checking it as a bag

The board is beat up already, so other than snapping half (which slingshots neeeeever do) I'm not to worried about dings and scratches
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-06-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
Pack your bindings and bring the board in a board bag and see if it is under their limit. You will probably be OK even with a board bag. If they try to hit you the $150 have the board ready to go naked with a label and stuff your empty board bag into a checked suitcase.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-06-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
just tell them it's a trick ski. If you tell them it's a wakeboard, they start thinking "surf board" which you will pay for. If you tell them it's a trick ski, then I have never been charged for it.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       11-06-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
^^ That is what I have done if they ask, never had a problem.

Also, like it was said earlier, putting your bindings in another bag helps. Last few times I've flown, I put all my clothes in my board bag on top of my board, packed my bindings and a duffel bag for my clothes in my carry on, they never asked a question. That was also with 2 boards in the bag, and it still weighed right under 40 pounds.

(Message edited by balr54 on November 06, 2008)
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-06-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
"just tell them it's a trick ski. If you tell them it's a wakeboard, they start thinking "surf board" which you will pay for. If you tell them it's a trick ski, then I have never been charged for it."

I 2nd Keith's suggestion. I know lots of people that have said this and have never been charged extra
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       11-06-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
I had mine in a board bag with all my stuff and don't know how I wasn't charged extra. The wife and I were watching out the windows and never seen the bag go in the plane. A van then stopped next to the plane and the driver open the back and grabbed the whole board bag and lifted it over his head. (Biggest surprise) The driver drops it right on the nose end from over his head. Holy F, let's just say my wife actually went out to the tar mat(?) freaking out! Nothing really happened but a bent fin and could have been way worse. Note to self, pack that S tight! My board goes everywhere with me, I pack that bag before my kids bags. LOL
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-06-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
I just UPS'd it... cost like 15 bucks...just won't have to worry about it... If it doesn't make it Will said she has other boards I could always use.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
I would definitely not put a slingshot on a plane not in a board bag. When you go to get your luggage you will be picking up a broken slingshot