Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Zachstratt12)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-20-2015, 6:44 AM Reply   
I can jump wake to wake with ease but as I look at videos of myself I don't get enough height to perform any tricks. I'm getting pulled behind a 23 lsv wake setter with all ballists full and the wedge down. I have tried the rope at 70 but it doesn't make difference. I need more air to perform my first inverts and spins. Anyone have any tips ??????
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-20-2015, 6:50 AM Reply   
Without seeing you ride my first guess is that you are letting off your edge and flattening out the board before you get to the wake. That's basically what everyone that gets little air does.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-20-2015, 10:40 AM Reply   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckkf840HZE4
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-20-2015, 11:06 AM Reply   
That video is awesome!!! Wide and Low is exactly what new comers struggle with.

Coast in on your edge gently and increase the edge just before the wake. The idea is to clear the wake with height/time in the air, not speed. And you need line tension to make up for the low speed factor. It's very difficult to master. I know people that have been riding for years that still struggle with it.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-20-2015, 11:29 AM Reply   
absorb the wake with your legs = no air
push off the wake and stand tall = bigger air
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-20-2015, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachstratt12 View Post
I can jump wake to wake with ease but as I look at videos of myself I don't get enough height to perform any tricks. I'm getting pulled behind a 23 lsv wake setter with all ballists full and the wedge down. I have tried the rope at 70 but it doesn't make difference. I need more air to perform my first inverts and spins. Anyone have any tips ??????
Sounds like you are relying on the wake to get air for you vs. good form. Watch that video, practice unweighted and then weight the boat.

I'm serious about the unweighted part, if you learn the form and learn how to work for air, then when you work for air on a big wake you will get booted.
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-20-2015, 3:36 PM Reply   
All these guys are right on with their suggestions about approaching the wake but while you are practicing your wake jumps you can start 180s and 3 as surface stuff then Ollie 180s and then 1 wake 180s and 3's. This will definitely help you once you have your wake jumps down and start doing these tricks wake to wake
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-24-2015, 2:19 PM Reply   
I think this discussion of building edge is a little confusing for new people. And I am still definitely one. The way the discussion goes it indicates that people don't flatten off in the final few feet as they ride up and over the wake. When you watch the linked video it's clear that you build your edge progressively until you are a few feet from the wake. Then you slightly flatten off, stand tall and leave the wake in the position you want to land in (for plain W2W). The easiest way to know when to flatten off is when you hit the washy area the spray makes as it leaves the boat.
Now of course this means that you don't let off on the line tension or the angle that you are approaching the wake with.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-24-2015, 3:00 PM Reply   
Here's a video that I just put together for a friend after we rode yesterday. She was having a rough day and this was why.

Watch her edge in and watch her knees get pushed up from the energy of the wake, instead of pushing off of it like she should. Her lower body absorbed all of the energy so she didn't get pushed up, only her knees did.

The last clip is me doing it correctly. At the top of the wake my legs are straight from pushing off.
Old     (99ProAir)      Join Date: May 2015       08-24-2015, 3:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Here's a video that I just put together for a friend after we rode yesterday. She was having a rough day and this was why.

Watch her edge in and watch her knees get pushed up from the energy of the wake, instead of pushing off of it like she should. Her lower body absorbed all of the energy so she didn't get pushed up, only her knees did.

The last clip is me doing it correctly. At the top of the wake my legs are straight from pushing off.
That video was a great way to understand the problem. Would you say her timing was just a little off as she approached the wake?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-24-2015, 6:22 PM Reply   
I don't think timing was an issue. She just didn't stand tall and
Push off when she needed to.