Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-03-2015, 1:31 PM Reply   
I am looking to purchase a good wakeboard boat for around 10k. I have basically been looking at boat in the late 90s (due to the price restrictions). I have gravitated towards malibu because those are the only boats I have been on.

I have been looking at the malibu sportsters and sunsetters due to the sv23 wake hulls and the wedge option.

I know others have spoken highly of the mastercraft 205 on these forums, but wouldn't that require fat sacs to achieve the same wake as the wedge?

The reason I am reasking this question is because most of the threads I found were over 5 years old (most of then over 10 years)

Any thoughts?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-03-2015, 1:56 PM Reply   
Are you around 10k like 15k, or strict 10k? I am not sure you'll find an adequate ride for 10k in the late 90s...

A wedge helps but there is no replacement for displacement. All inboard ski boats will need fat sacs to boost wake size.

I would steer clear of Tiges from the 90s, and I would not recommend a Malibu sportster due to low draft. I would, however, recommend an Echelon as these boats are pretty big for what they are.

The 205s from 1996 on were the same hull as the early X-stars/205Vs.

The Sport Nautiques from 1993 until sometime in the 2000s were the same hull as the Super Air Nautique 210 from 1999 until 2006 - they started making the supersport in 95 or 96.

Supra Sunsports are good boats to look at - try to find one that is post 1992, which is when I think they went to composite stringers.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-03-2015, 1:58 PM Reply   
10k a hard budget number? Where are you located? With that price restriction you're probably going to be looking at direct drive (DD) engine in the center boats, and not v-drive (engine in the back) boats.

Let us know where you are located and that could help us find some boats for you!

Also, a MC205 throws an amazing wake, very solid and MEATY. Much different than the ramp from the Malibu with just the wedge. You will be adding ballast one way or the other, don't fall for the hype that you "DON'T" need it with the wedge.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-03-2015, 2:11 PM Reply   
92+ Supra Sunsport. is what I'd be looking for.

Pretty much NO chance of finding a v-drive for $10k unless it's beat to sh** or broken in some way. MAYBE a Nautique Excel, but again, good luck finding one period, finding one for under $15k and finding the especially rare open bow.

I had a 92 Sunsport and I was able to get it with tower, dual batteries, 1 ballast pump/bag, for under $10k because I scored it at the right time. I put another few thousand into it (stereo, LED's, surf system, more bags, pumps, etc.) and had a great budget wake boat.

The Sunsports have the open playpen style bow, a reasonable amount of storage with the trunk and such. And the best thing is that they have a ton of freeboard for a boat of that generation.

So the Supra Sunsports or Saltares are what I'd focus on unless you can increase your budget.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-03-2015, 2:29 PM Reply   
Like others have said if you can swing to $15k you can get a V-drive.... which is well worth the money. Everyone I've known (myself included) who buys a boat to wakeboard or surf and ends up with a DD, ultimately ends up selling it for a V-drive.

My brother still has my old boat and was planning on selling it next spring, but it honestly just sits right now since I bought a new boat (I think he put on like 10 hours this summer). 95' Super Sport Nautique (Same hull is Super Air) .... tower, ballast, etc etc and I think he said he was going to list it for $15-$16k.

.... but if I was you, if possible, add a few thousand to the budget and look for a V-drive... you'll be glad you did.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-03-2015, 2:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Everyone I've known (myself included) who buys a boat to wakeboard or surf and ends up with a DD, ultimately ends up selling it for a V-drive.
Yep. I got the above-mentioned Supra Sunsport for around $10k, put a few thousand in it to trick it out over 2 seasons, sold it and recoup'd most of my "investment" and bought a $30k V-drive and couldn't be happier.

Sometimes you can find a 90's Mastercraft Maristar for between $10k to $15k.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-03-2015, 2:48 PM Reply   
Quick scan of only inboards (not sure where you're located) ...

If I was trying to stick to $10k + maybe a little extra -
http://www.onlyinboards.com/1991-Bar...ork-50210.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/1992-Cor...ana-50384.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/1997-Hyd...ana-46313.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/1992-ski...xas-49592.aspx

Or if you go to $15k, then I would say keep an eye open for a VLX Sunnsetter or Super Sport Nautique
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-03-2015, 6:29 PM Reply   
Thanks for all these replies! I really appreciate it.

Just a little more background on myself. I currently own an 89 malibu skier that I am looking to sell at the beginning of next year. I am quite the novice wakeboarder, but I am looking to take it to the next level.

I am going to try to respond to questions in individual posts now.
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-03-2015, 6:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Are you around 10k like 15k, or strict 10k? I am not sure you'll find an adequate ride for 10k in the late 90s...

A wedge helps but there is no replacement for displacement. All inboard ski boats will need fat sacs to boost wake size.

I would steer clear of Tiges from the 90s, and I would not recommend a Malibu sportster due to low draft. I would, however, recommend an Echelon as these boats are pretty big for what they are.

The 205s from 1996 on were the same hull as the early X-stars/205Vs.

The Sport Nautiques from 1993 until sometime in the 2000s were the same hull as the Super Air Nautique 210 from 1999 until 2006 - they started making the supersport in 95 or 96.

Supra Sunsports are good boats to look at - try to find one that is post 1992, which is when I think they went to composite stringers.
Thanks for your quote about the wedge. I have often wondered which produces a better wake, a wedge or a ballast. It sounds like your opinion would be a combination of the two, but deferring to a ballast.

I am not 100% firm on 10k, but I don't really want to take out a loan to get the boat. Don't need a second mortgage ha
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-03-2015, 6:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by getssum View Post
10k a hard budget number? Where are you located? With that price restriction you're probably going to be looking at direct drive (DD) engine in the center boats, and not v-drive (engine in the back) boats.

Let us know where you are located and that could help us find some boats for you!

Also, a MC205 throws an amazing wake, very solid and MEATY. Much different than the ramp from the Malibu with just the wedge. You will be adding ballast one way or the other, don't fall for the hype that you "DON'T" need it with the wedge.
I would love to get a V drive, but I haven't found much in the area for a good price. Everything is like 19+ and mostly in the 20s

I live in Columbus, OH. I don't mind driving a bit to get a boat, but I guess I am hoping more good deals pop up at the end of summer.

It sounds like you are a 205 fan. 205 with a ballast.
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-03-2015, 6:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Like others have said if you can swing to $15k you can get a V-drive.... which is well worth the money. Everyone I've known (myself included) who buys a boat to wakeboard or surf and ends up with a DD, ultimately ends up selling it for a V-drive.

My brother still has my old boat and was planning on selling it next spring, but it honestly just sits right now since I bought a new boat (I think he put on like 10 hours this summer). 95' Super Sport Nautique (Same hull is Super Air) .... tower, ballast, etc etc and I think he said he was going to list it for $15-$16k.

.... but if I was you, if possible, add a few thousand to the budget and look for a V-drive... you'll be glad you did.
Again I would love to get a V-drive, but they just tend to be above 20 and I really don't want to get up that high.

What are some of the best v drives with a track record of reliability?
Old     (GoBeavs85)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-03-2015, 6:55 PM Reply   
We bought a 1997 mb direct drive boat for $8500 last year. It has a huge trunk in the back of the boat that I have a 550 lb sack it. Still plenty of room for other gear. I can do 360's and tantrums and this boat throws a good enough wake for that. I wish the boat was bigger, I wish it had an open bow, and I wish the ballast set up was a little easier. BUT it was only $8,500 and has provided over 100 hours of flawless running and family fun. We can even surf rope less if we get the weight just right. In my opinion this type of boat has depreciated almost as much as it ever will. I think I could sell this boat for $8500 any time and upgrade when I'm ready. Just my 2 cents.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-03-2015, 8:00 PM Reply   
If you're patient and are willing to drive a bit to pick it up you can find a solid (but not necessarily beautiful) v drive for about 12,500. A friend of mine just picked up a 1999 maristar 210 with 600 hours for that much. The upholstery is kinda rough but the boat and motor are good. In my opinion, if you can swing it, it's definitely worth the extra couple grand.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2015, 8:36 PM Reply   
1991 V-drive Barefoot Nautique. Problem solved. Discussion over. Thank me later.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2015, 8:38 PM Reply   
Only serious about the first two sentences.^^^
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-03-2015, 9:18 PM Reply   
That MB is a great deal for $8500 considering the Samson Razor tower will set you back $5K alone.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-03-2015, 9:54 PM Reply   
Second Trayson on the older Sunsports. If you're paying 10k for one of those you're probably getting a tower at least, and maybe more (stereo, etc...). You can find them needing some love for 3-5k and then clean them up. Most of the v-drive links above are as much as 25% over your price range and don't have a tower. I would take any open bow DD over the barefoot nautique any day. Of most older DD boats of that era, the Sunsport has a really deep hull and high freeboard. There is a surprising amount of storage also.

I could be biased cause I just bought an 89 this season. Paid right at your budget, had tower, stereo (tower speakers, boat speakers, 12" sub, 3 amps) integrated ballast, and the stringers/floor had already been rebuilt. The only downside is you have no floor space with ballast laying everywhere, but in my case I'm usually riding early mornings with just a couple guys, then pump out all the water, put the bags in the locker and have room for people hanging out for the afternoon.

The wake is respectable on the Sunsports. The hull can take tons of ballast, you're basically limited only by the 260hp rating on a 20+ year old engine (assuming all is original). 2800 lbs ballast is the limit where planing gets difficult (with current prop anyways....) If the engine could push it I could put another 1500-2000 lbs and the rub rail wouldn't even be close to the water. I was tied up with a 2006 Sunsport 20V this weekend and mine looked like it had a higher freeboard by about 3-4".
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-03-2015, 9:55 PM Reply   
Other options are Mastercraft 205, Malibu Sunsetter, or Pro/Air Nautique. All are open bow DDs and can be found in that price range. Of those three, the Nautique would be the smallest.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-03-2015, 10:03 PM Reply   
I do agree with Nick and Trayson though that a v-drive (other than those closed bow Nauti's) is obviously better than a DD. I did a ton of research before buying and figure there was no way to get the boat I really wanted (2000-2004 SAN, MC 205V, or Wakesetter) for less than 25k. I did find some options around 18k but they were pretty beat, or I would find a 99 Malibu Sunsetter V-drive for $18.5 but no tower, no PP, etc... 25 seemed to be the low water mark for one in the condition I wanted (equal to my Sunsport, which is pretty damn clean).

I bought mine at 10ish, figure the depreciation is already done, plan to ride it 3-5 years while I put the other 20-30k together (and replace a truck) and pay cash for a good used v-drive. I figure I will be able to get near 10 back out of it in a few years.
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-04-2015, 6:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs85 View Post
We bought a 1997 mb direct drive boat for $8500 last year. It has a huge trunk in the back of the boat that I have a 550 lb sack it. Still plenty of room for other gear. I can do 360's and tantrums and this boat throws a good enough wake for that. I wish the boat was bigger, I wish it had an open bow, and I wish the ballast set up was a little easier. BUT it was only $8,500 and has provided over 100 hours of flawless running and family fun. We can even surf rope less if we get the weight just right. In my opinion this type of boat has depreciated almost as much as it ever will. I think I could sell this boat for $8500 any time and upgrade when I'm ready. Just my 2 cents.
Wow that is a great looking boat you got there. How many hours did it have on it? What model is that? Where are you located?

I have been using searchtempest to search within a 500 miles radius and I haven't found anything quite like that for that price and I search just about ever day.

I appreciate your feedback because I am not even close to being as skilled as you are. I am enjoying the rush of clearing the wake and I attempt a 180 every now and then (like I said above very novice)
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-04-2015, 6:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
92+ Supra Sunsport. is what I'd be looking for.

Pretty much NO chance of finding a v-drive for $10k unless it's beat to sh** or broken in some way. MAYBE a Nautique Excel, but again, good luck finding one period, finding one for under $15k and finding the especially rare open bow.

I had a 92 Sunsport and I was able to get it with tower, dual batteries, 1 ballast pump/bag, for under $10k because I scored it at the right time. I put another few thousand into it (stereo, LED's, surf system, more bags, pumps, etc.) and had a great budget wake boat.

The Sunsports have the open playpen style bow, a reasonable amount of storage with the trunk and such. And the best thing is that they have a ton of freeboard for a boat of that generation.

So the Supra Sunsports or Saltares are what I'd focus on unless you can increase your budget.
Unfortunately, with the searches that I have done, these are even less populated on the market than other brands (malibu, mastercraft, ski natique), but I appreciate the input and I will continue to look into it.
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-04-2015, 6:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Second Trayson on the older Sunsports. If you're paying 10k for one of those you're probably getting a tower at least, and maybe more (stereo, etc...). You can find them needing some love for 3-5k and then clean them up. Most of the v-drive links above are as much as 25% over your price range and don't have a tower. I would take any open bow DD over the barefoot nautique any day. Of most older DD boats of that era, the Sunsport has a really deep hull and high freeboard. There is a surprising amount of storage also.

I could be biased cause I just bought an 89 this season. Paid right at your budget, had tower, stereo (tower speakers, boat speakers, 12" sub, 3 amps) integrated ballast, and the stringers/floor had already been rebuilt. The only downside is you have no floor space with ballast laying everywhere, but in my case I'm usually riding early mornings with just a couple guys, then pump out all the water, put the bags in the locker and have room for people hanging out for the afternoon.

The wake is respectable on the Sunsports. The hull can take tons of ballast, you're basically limited only by the 260hp rating on a 20+ year old engine (assuming all is original). 2800 lbs ballast is the limit where planing gets difficult (with current prop anyways....) If the engine could push it I could put another 1500-2000 lbs and the rub rail wouldn't even be close to the water. I was tied up with a 2006 Sunsport 20V this weekend and mine looked like it had a higher freeboard by about 3-4".
Thanks for your input. I will add sunsports to my list of boats to keep an eye out for. I don't really need all the extra features in a boat (shower, awesome stereo system, etc.) I just want to get a great wakeboard boat at a good price that I can use for years. A tower isn't a deal breaker because I know I could put one on, but there doesn't seem to be much of a price break in the boats I have been looking at with or without a tower.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       08-04-2015, 7:28 AM Reply   
If you want to go obscure, here's a Hydrodyne Nexstar v-drive for <12k http://huntsville.craigslist.org/boa/5131423401.html

Solid engine (GT-40 in those), and the boats are built like a tank. Slap a tower on and have some fun. Just wish they didn't have the molded in swim platform and dual captains chairs. And if you're really ambitious you could change up the seating like Jed did...

There are some sunsports out there, but most looked to be pre-92, so won't be the all-composite build.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-04-2015, 8:31 AM Reply   
I vote supra saltare with the big block 454 engine ..tons of free board and plenty of power
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-04-2015, 8:34 AM Reply   
Name:  saltare.jpg
Views: 7542
Size:  164.3 KB
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-04-2015, 9:32 AM Reply   
Rick just posted the twin to my boat. I don't think you'll find anything nicer for less than $15k.

You could hold out for a V-Drive but it will be beat and will need some money for toys. Mine has all the upgrades done already. Let me know if you'd like to come demo it.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/1987-Sup...sin-50281.aspx
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-04-2015, 9:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotan View Post
Rick just posted the twin to my boat. I don't think you'll find anything nicer for less than $15k.

You could hold out for a V-Drive but it will be beat and will need some money for toys. Mine has all the upgrades done already. Let me know if you'd like to come demo it.

Based on what I sold my Sunsport for, I think that Wotan will get his asking price or within a grand of it for his boat. My Supra was nicer in a couple areas, but his boat is nicer in a lot of other areas. I got $13,500 for my Sunsport...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-04-2015, 11:07 AM Reply   
seems like there is always a sanger v210 or two going for under $15k in the winter. Usually central valley/delta somewhere.

Right now is a bad time to buy price wise.... sellers still think it's summer so their prices are high, buyers think the season is ending so they want a deal. Prices seem to get much more reasonable between october and march.
Old     (GoBeavs85)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-04-2015, 10:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharmon203 View Post
Wow that is a great looking boat you got there. How many hours did it have on it? What model is that? Where are you located?

I have been using searchtempest to search within a 500 miles radius and I haven't found anything quite like that for that price and I search just about ever day.

I appreciate your feedback because I am not even close to being as skilled as you are. I am enjoying the rush of clearing the wake and I attempt a 180 every now and then (like I said above very novice)

It's an mb boss 190. It's a ski boat but the locker in the back is a great place for ballast. It had 700 hours when we bought it. We are over 800 now w no problems so far. It was at a car dealership in Eastern Washington. They took it in on trade for a new truck. I don't think they really knew what they had. They dropped the price $500 a day until it sold. When we got back from the test drive somebody was waiting to look at it. They never got the chance it was a good find and has been a great boat for us. The vinyl will need a little attention this winter and it needs a good detail because my kids are messy! That's what's nice about a cheap boat, you don't have to be anal about everything.

Know what a good deal looks like and be ready buy w cash as soon as you see it. The next 2 months should be a good time.
Old     (Riley212)      Join Date: May 2015       08-05-2015, 4:42 AM Reply   
I would check this out

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/5131622436.html

should be able to get it for a bit less than asking price. that motor is the bees knees. and the hull is the same as the super air.

fill the stock ballast and two 750 lb sacks on either side of the engine and the wake is really big. get a flyhigh extended pole till you can afford a new dimensions tower.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-05-2015, 4:53 AM Reply   
boat trader had a toyota v drive epic in georgia for around 12k, also, maybe look for moomba ls dd's
they can usually be found in the low teens.
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-05-2015, 7:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotan View Post

I actually already have most of the accessories covered. I have wakeboards, ropes, life vests, etc. The only thing I really don't have are fat sacs. Again I would love a V Drive, but the price needs to be right.
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-05-2015, 7:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
seems like there is always a sanger v210 or two going for under $15k in the winter. Usually central valley/delta somewhere.

Right now is a bad time to buy price wise.... sellers still think it's summer so their prices are high, buyers think the season is ending so they want a deal. Prices seem to get much more reasonable between october and march.
You are probably correct on the price right now. Luckily I am in no rush to make a decision. I am really just focusing on next season.I wish I had price history on boats to see the trend.

I am very willing to wait for that great deal and I even have storage lined up to sweeten the pot for that person who doesn't want to winterize it another summer.
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-05-2015, 9:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
I would check this out

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/5131622436.html

should be able to get it for a bit less than asking price. that motor is the bees knees. and the hull is the same as the super air.

fill the stock ballast and two 750 lb sacks on either side of the engine and the wake is really big. get a flyhigh extended pole till you can afford a new dimensions tower.
Is that still a carb motor? That is a nice find, but wish it had a tower for that price to begin the negotiations.

I found in the nautique forums all the specs of models in these years here:
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/fo...uals-brochures
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-05-2015, 9:01 AM Reply   
Here's a question, if you had to choose between malibu's wedge and a factory balast from air natuique, which one would you go with?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-05-2015, 9:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs85 View Post
It's an mb boss 190. It's a ski boat but the locker in the back is a great place for ballast. It had 700 hours when we bought it. We are over 800 now w no problems so far. It was at a car dealership in Eastern Washington. They took it in on trade for a new truck. I don't think they really knew what they had. They dropped the price $500 a day until it sold. When we got back from the test drive somebody was waiting to look at it. They never got the chance it was a good find and has been a great boat for us. The vinyl will need a little attention this winter and it needs a good detail because my kids are messy! That's what's nice about a cheap boat, you don't have to be anal about everything.

Know what a good deal looks like and be ready buy w cash as soon as you see it. The next 2 months should be a good time.
I don't want to pee in your cherios, but I did most of my riding in a late 90's MB Sports Boss 200. Sure, it was a great slalom boat, but I can tell you first hand that that boat beat the living crap out of you when you rode it in any kind of chop. I mean, I vividly remember holding myself up off the observer seat because I couldn't handle pile driving my spine anymore.

And I think a closed bow isn't going to be very attractive. let's face it. Direct drives have fallen in popularity so much as V-drives get more and more affordable that the closed bow ones are going to get worse and worse for resale.

Again, I was able to find a 92 Sunsport for under $10k. It had tower, racks (one side needed to be re-tapped after it snapped off), under seat bag with reversible pump, dual batteries with perko switch, bimini, *PERFECT PASS*, open bow, trunk, TONS of freeboard, fixed wakeplate, and a basic USB/MP3 Kenwood 4 speaker stereo. It also had the PCM 351 Pro Boss, which is the 285hp upgraded engine at the time.

It needed new vinyl on the rear cushions and rear trunk deck. Here is a pic of my Sunsport just after I got it:

I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't advise the OP to settle for a closed bow. He's right, even the coolest tower doesn't add all that much to the price of the boat, so MUCH better getting a boat that already has a tower in my opinion...

Last edited by trayson; 08-05-2015 at 9:18 AM.
Old     (Riley212)      Join Date: May 2015       08-05-2015, 3:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharmon203 View Post
Is that still a carb motor? That is a nice find, but wish it had a tower for that price to begin the negotiations.

I found in the nautique forums all the specs of models in these years here:
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/fo...uals-brochures
it says it has the Gt40 motor wich is the pcm fuel injected motor. it is wierd that it is an air nautique without a tower
Old     (GoBeavs85)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-05-2015, 9:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
I don't want to pee in your cherios, but I did most of my riding in a late 90's MB Sports Boss 200. Sure, it was a great slalom boat, but I can tell you first hand that that boat beat the living crap out of you when you rode it in any kind of chop. I mean, I vividly remember holding myself up off the observer seat because I couldn't handle pile driving my spine anymore.

And I think a closed bow isn't going to be very attractive. let's face it. Direct drives have fallen in popularity so much as V-drives get more and more affordable that the closed bow ones are going to get worse and worse for resale.

Again, I was able to find a 92 Sunsport for under $10k. It had tower, racks (one side needed to be re-tapped after it snapped off), under seat bag with reversible pump, dual batteries with perko switch, bimini, *PERFECT PASS*, open bow, trunk, TONS of freeboard, fixed wakeplate, and a basic USB/MP3 Kenwood 4 speaker stereo. It also had the PCM 351 Pro Boss, which is the 285hp upgraded engine at the time.

It needed new vinyl on the rear cushions and rear trunk deck. Here is a pic of my Sunsport just after I got it:

I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't advise the OP to settle for a closed bow. He's right, even the coolest tower doesn't add all that much to the price of the boat, so MUCH better getting a boat that already has a tower in my opinion...

Admittedly I still love to slalom so the mb scratches that itch very well. My Cheerios still taste fine

Perfect pass would be nice. Looks like you had a good find. I have the flexibility to pick my days and can't say in two summers I have noticed the chop problem. When it's white capping I don't go out. Anything less has been fine, maybe I'm a slow driver!
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-05-2015, 10:47 PM Reply   
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1128...3050826377338/
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-06-2015, 12:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Being in ohio that is a bit of a far drive for me. It would have to be a really good deal to make the trip.
Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       08-06-2015, 1:29 PM Reply   
We loved our MB Sports Boss 210, we put over 100 hours a year on it back to back years and it never missed a beat! We ski'd, tubed, wake boarded, kneeboarded, and even tried to surf it but never had enough weight in it to get it done. We bought it for less than 10K and then had it wrapped to give it the "cool" factor. It rode a little rough in the really rough waters but overall it was perfect!
Attached Images