Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-22-2017, 9:18 AM Reply   
So I read probably the most in-depth discussion on stance widths by Kyle Schmidt on Humanoids website. It is a great read and they also have a stance calculator that is more advanced than other that I have seen. https://humanoidwake.com

I've Always ridden 24-26" probably since about 2000 or so, depending on available stance options. The only exception was in 2001 when I tried the super-wide thing for about a week and also tore an ACL. I ran my data through the Humanoid calculator and it came back as 23". Additionally, the weather has been poor this week and I had my boots off my board to fix the laces. Without reference, I put them on and stood comfortably--High, low and midway to find what felt best. I marked the spots on the floor and then measured the space. I measured it at 23.25. I did it again a few hours later and it measured 23 even.

23" for someone my size doesn't look weird or like I am doing it just for the sake of having a skinny stance, but it is narrower than I have ever ridden (on a modern board).

What stance are width is everyone riding? Include your height, board size and if you consider your self knock-kneed, straight legged or bow-legged.

I'm 69.5 inches tall, I ride a 140 William and my legs are pretty straight.
My Current stance is 25".
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-25-2017, 10:26 AM Reply   
Okay, my tread didn't get traction, but I would like to add that I have taken 2 sets at 23" and it has worked shockingly well. It doesn't feel weird or look weird at all. I didn't have to make any adjustments to my riding. The biggest difference is just cruising down the river it is more comfortable. I have had some major knee surgeries and usually after two days of hard riding I'm a little sore in the knees and hips. Today my leg muscles are worn out and I have zero joint pain. I even chucked an S-Bend yesterday--something I hadn't done in years before my surgeries and expected to pay for it--I feel fine.

I've been wakeboarding 24 years. It is rare that I try anything that instantly works. It is worth reevaluating your stance.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2017, 12:35 PM Reply   
I'm giving it a go myself. I've been on Slingshot boards for 6 years and have always ridden the boots on the fast track "all the way out". That is 28.5" on center...
Now I am 6'3" so would naturally ride a bit wider than most. I was bagging Slingshot this year cause with the '17 model boards with the new inserts you can only go as wide as 25.25". So instead of a 17 setup I went back with a 16.

Anyway in the process I actually got an email back from Jeff McKee at Slingshot, who basically said try it out little by little and see if you notice any benefit (he cited easier on the knees and a cool feeling while spinning). So I've probably taken 1" or maybe 1.25" out of each side, and probably running 25.5" on center stance width.

Honestly I haven't noticed any difference, good or bad. I rode cable Friday and tweaked my right knee a little bit landing heavy on a switch roll to revert. Maybe would have been worse with wider stance? Who knows. I looked back at the old LF set-ups I used to ride back in the day and was probably at 26". When I got the SS boards I just put em "all the way out" cause that's what I was used to riding and probably didn't realize I had added 2.5" to my stance over the winter when I switched brands.

I tried to use the Humanoid stance calculator but wouldn't work on my iPhone. I'll try it now that I'm on my iMac.

Last edited by dyost; 06-25-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2017, 12:42 PM Reply   
Based on 6'3" height with straight legs and primarily boat riding, Humanoid says 25" stance width. I'm a little wider than that right now, but maybe I'll work my way down and see how it feels.

For kicks I ran it again as a cable rider and it says 24". I wonder what the logic of narrowing for the cable is? I know for some it's a style thing... but this Humanoid stance selector explanation is written as if it's scientific and based on how your knee tracks over your foot. Cable or boat, I would think there is only one optimal anatomical position for best absorbing landings? So why make it different based on boat or cable?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-26-2017, 5:46 AM Reply   
I did the same thing and it had me 1" narrower for cable. I don't know the logic behind that.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-26-2017, 7:47 AM Reply   
When you ride cable, you're going to want to make quicker, more precise movements. For example, doing a spin (180/207/360) onto a rail. That requires the movement to happen much faster than a wake to wake spin behind the boat. Having a narrower stance makes that easier.

You ever notice how effortless the skinny stance guys seem to spin on and off rails? That stance helps those quick on/off spins.
Old     (BOOMSMACK)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-27-2017, 9:09 AM Reply   
also a narrower stance on cable allows you to get a lot more press out of the tip and tail of the board on rails.
Old     (Javi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-07-2019, 2:44 AM Reply   
I know this is an old thread but I have heard a lot of people lately discussing this subject. I have kiteboarded and wakeboarded for many years and I'm 5'10" 165lbs. I tried multiple stances and my favorite has been 22.5" which I have struck with for wake, kite and snowboarding. I think the best thing to do is to do squats at home as if you are landing hot and see what stance gives you the most comfortable flex.
Old     (Shreddr)      Join Date: Sep 2017       08-08-2019, 9:58 AM Reply   
i´m 6.1 180lbs straight legged
i started with 24-25 inch stance a few years ago.
now i´m at 21-22,5 inch / 7,5degrees angle (i only ride cable) it just feels more natural to me.
its about the same stance i use snowboarding...