Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-05-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
Sorry if this is old news or maybe even a rumor, but did ricky leave gator to start his own company? If so that sucks for gator but congrats to Ricky for gettin his own company!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-05-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
Yes.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/742683.html?1257184881
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-05-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
thx stephan, sorry hadnt been on the board in awhile and didnt see any threads but thx for the link
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-05-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
It's sad that gator doesn't pay his riders enough to keep them on his team. If you want to see something interesting, just google "Lutgert properties" in Naples. His family owns 760 ocean front acres right in the prime of the beach. It is estimated at $3 billion.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       11-05-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
So because the parents have money they should just support their adult children forever instead of making the stand on their own 2 feet.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-05-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   

quote:

By Soli (nsolis220) on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 3:07 pm:

So because the parents have money they should just support their adult children forever instead of making the stand on their own 2 feet.

They might not have that much money if they got in the current real estate swing... Lots and lots of big time developers are biting the dust...
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-05-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
Soli do you honestly think gator boards would be in business If his dad wasn't paying for it? Have you ever even seen someone riding a gator board? Gator used to ride his Ferrari to wakeboard contests. He is fully supported by his parents so yes, he should do more for his riders
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-05-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
There are several of the fanciest high rise condos on his properties that lease the land from the lutgerts. They have more money than they know what to do with.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-05-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
This is shaping up to be one of those dumb threads.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-05-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
Do you know how much they owe on the mortgages for those properties (assuming they own them at all)? Do you know if they are underwater on those properties? Do you know whether or not they are currently considering bankruptcy? Or perhaps the purchase of the St. Louis Rams? Do you have copies of all their financials? Me neither.

I cringe to think of some "guy on a discussion board" speculating about my financial well-being and that of my family based on a Google search and then taking it even further by giving his "expert" advice about what my next expenditure should be. I hope that nobody ever does that to you.
Old     (vlxwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-05-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
I always wondered about that video of Gator cruizing in that Ferrari. That's cool because he definately doesn't act like a stuck up rich kid.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-05-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
Thank you Mr. Williams.
Sorry guys....speculating about someones financials and making accusations about this and that is rediculous
Do we know Ricky G left...yes
Do we know why...no
Is it any of my business...no
I'm just happy he's still able to make a go of it and wish I could do the same, but know that's never going to happen as a pro wakeboarder, so I guess I'll go back to my hourly job and let you speculate about how much I made while typing this post
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-05-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
Well I sure didnt care what gator makes or does from this point. But cant say I wasnt curious as to what Ricky's plans were. In all honesty I met him last summer I kinda thought he was gunna be quite or rather be not so personable. I was very wrong. The guys great and a super chill person. I had ALOT of respect for Ricky after that. So in that sense I want to see the guy do well and Im happy he hopefully is getting his own company or more so atleast more pay. He deserves it, the guys been around since back in the day and has one of the biggest INDY TANTRUMS off a D UP Ive ever seen. Oh and can land with the handle between his legs hahaha
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       11-05-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
actually several people that ride gator boards

ya his family likley helped in start the company in hopes it would take off and be profitable and a way for thier son to do something he loves and be sucessfull. Not many rich folks i know just keep throwing money down the drain into a bad business.

Just because gator himself has some nice stuff and some cash just means his parents take care of him thier son, doesnt mean they are going to take care of some wakeboarder to ride for thier sons company.

And ya real estate is a tricky thing no one really knows what what right now.nows a great time to cut losses
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-05-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
Okay, I don't care about whether or not Gator is supported by his family, but I do ride a Gator Gonzalez and it is a great board. I met Ricky just once at Worlds in Reno a couple of years ago and he was really cool to talk to. Didn't know me from Adam and I'm nobody but he was completely engaged in telling about his board. Whatever he is up to I wish him success.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-05-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
"It's sad that gator doesn't pay his riders enough to keep them on his team."

It's sad that you, Kyle, consistently have some of the most worthless and ill spirited posts on wakeworld. It's disappointing that you are a member of this forum who contributes crap regularly.

I personally think Gator makes the best boards. I own a fleet of CWBs and Hyperlites along with 2 Gators. I've ridden dozens of other boards and I've never been swayed away from my Gator. Gator produces the best movies in the industry (period), runs one of a small number of independent board companies, pays a full team of riders, is headed by one of the pioneers who turned wakeboarding into what it is today (top 2 most important figures in shaping where our sport is today IMO), and every year he gets people like you, who are a total joke at best, bashing him, but he just keeps making the best boards and movies regardless.
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-05-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
I don't know Gator nor do I care...
I have met Ricky G and he seems to be a stand up guy, so, good luck to Ricky G on his future endeavors .
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-05-2009, 8:44 PM Reply   
Gator deserves a standing O for continuing to do what he does. I would love the opportunity to ride one of his boards if I had the chance, but either way I wish him and the company the best because it would be a shame for one of the first and most dedicated rider owned companies to die off.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-05-2009, 8:48 PM Reply   
Ive been a huge LF fan since I was 14 and in all honesty I rode rickys board last summer and was impressed. Props to him and Gator for that, another reason I will be stoked to ride a shred stick from this new company that Ricky will be riding for and or owning? Im not sure if its gunna be rider owned like ronix, but that would be sik for Ricky
Old     (62lincoln)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-05-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
Whats up guys I wanted to get on here and discuss a little bit on whats going on. Yes I did leave Gator Boards.I Have been in the industry for a long time and i want to stay in the industry. This is what I do and I'm passionate about and I had a great opportunity to get on board with a new company and become co-owner and have free range of the whole project of Phalanx wake. I have a great insight on what a board and company should be and I will guarantee PHALANX is strongly dedicated to produce the most advanced products using new construction technologies, cutting edge materials, and innovative designs. Thank you everyone for your full support and I will keep everyone informed and definitely look forward to you guys checking them out. check my website and phalanx site, under construction but almost done.

www.itzrickyg.com
www.phalanxwake.com
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-05-2009, 10:49 PM Reply   
Thats real Ricky! Glad to hear the next step, cant wait to see the new product and good luck in your future business and riding
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       11-06-2009, 12:09 AM Reply   
Last time I checked somebody told me that Gator was/is a Legend in wakeboarding.
Isn't there a Legend award that gets handed out from time to time on that account?
(uh hu, thought so).

I dig Eric Lutgert, his boards and especially his stand for Christ. The latter takes alot of guts especially in this cultural climate, the dude has a ton of heart and seems like a great guy to me.
What goes on between him and his folks doesn't seem like anybody elses buisness but theirs.

Lets see what did that guy say?
"Have you ever even seen someone riding a gator board?"
My short answer is uh Duh, just all summer long!
Lets see, oh yeah and what was that other dudes name I saw on one,... let me think,.. oh yeah, I remember now,..JUST ONE OF THE GREATEST RIDERS OF ALL TIME, Randall Harris!
I think I might have seen him on one a time or two in a video here or there.

I ride a Gator board every now and then, it just happens to be a 2007 "Randall Harris Legend" and I think it rides right fine if you ask me, just wish I could ride it half as well as Randall does.

I also like and respect what Ricky G and Harris have done for wakeboarding down through the years and I think all three of these guys have done alot for this sport we all love so much,
but things change and buisness is buisness, sometimes you stay and other times you move on, nothing lasts forever.

Why somebody would throw up stuff about, condos Mom and Pop support, how much land they own here and there etc etc around Ricky G leaving Gator boards and starting his own company seems a little sketchy at best.
Good luck to you Mr. Gonzales on your new venture, the photos on the website of you riding the prototype are tight.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-06-2009, 12:52 AM Reply   
in the end some peeps like to tear things down rather than build them up

Probably stems from insecurity and just plan mean spiritedness

Good luck to phalanx wake looks like some pretty interesting concepts there. Also Gators been making quality gear for years now, that comment about who rides gator was ridiculous.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2009, 4:20 AM Reply   
Dave, it's not speculation from a google search lol. I was just giving him an example. This is all personal knowledge.

Gangster, it's sad when you have a good friend as gators only rider on the pro tour ranked in the top 15 struggle to put food in his stomach, and still always come to my house with a can of gas even when I told him not to worry about it. It's sad that he still has to live in the dorms as a graduate student so he can be on the meal plan. It's sad he had to work at an auto repair shop when he is on the "pro wakeboard tour" and pay for his own housing on the road. It's sad that he was told school will get you no where and if you don't ditch it, don't think about being in our video. Am I bitter towards GB, yeah slightly.

(Message edited by Lfxstar on November 06, 2009)
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-06-2009, 6:27 AM Reply   
Gator for "Legend" award, this is long over due. that guy is great person and a great rider for sure. OMG did he go "BIG".

Congrats To Ricky G. that guy is really for the Sport and it seems the sport is all about Ricky G. he is definatly a leader.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-06-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
Kyle - Your buddy isn't entitled anything from Gator Boards. This is a business right? If he was that jaded and can't make ends meet from his employment with Gator, then why doesn't he switch to a different board company that will pay him big money?
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-06-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
Or perhaps seek out a more stable living and wakeboard, you know, for fun?
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-06-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
Kyle - Very distasteful. What you posted is nobody's business except Ricky's. I am not getting on the bash kyle bandwagon but c'mon man.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
All of this is nobody's business except for ricky's but it was brought on a public forum, and he is a pro therefore people can discuss it. That's like saying professional baseball players salaries shouldn't be discussed. Just because professional wakeboarders make less than another professional doesn't mean it can't be discussed. From an insiders prospective I have seen how they treat SOME of their riders and it is not good.
Eubanks, he was under a contract that didn't allow him to just switch to another company. If you could just switch board companies whenever you wanted, then you would see a lot more people riding much different products. You would see guys riding behind different boats, you would see guys riding different boards, and guys wearing different clothing.
Anthem, he is seeking out a more stable living, hence being in school, and plans on doing something more with his life than wakeboarding, but regardless he still is a pro and deserved to be treated much better than he did. He even asked to get out of his contract to ride for a different company but was told no.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-06-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
I'm just curious...Why did he accept a contract that he did not consider fair?
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-06-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
Does anyone think Kyle might have a point, and you all are sucking someone else's D. to make you look better, instead of considering what he said?

You're not cool for who you stick up for on an online forum in spots like this, it doesn't make you more of a hardass to rag on someone and tell him he is distasteful for stating his opinion. You're all on your own side of the computer passing judgement on him.

Shut up and go circle jerk somewhere else.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
Just like a lot of the kids that sign their first pro contracts, they haven't gotten big in the scene yet so at the time, the terms are fair. It is like Adam Errington signing with Tige prematurely. If he had waited 6 more months, he could have had any boat company he wanted, and he is STILL in that contract. Will they let him go if he wants to, no. This unfortunately happens with a lot of pro riders that are just coming up on the scene signing a multiyear deal that they are initially super stoked on but realize that when they have actually made it, how screwed they are. So many of these kids have side jobs just to make ends meat. If you are on the pro tour, you should not have to work at a home depot or jiffy lube so you can put food in your stomach.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
Josh, they really don't care. They have this image in their head that these riders are living all high on the hog when in reality, it is a small few that aren't scrapping by for their next dollar. I am not talking about amature riders either, I am talking about riders that regularly grace the magazines and do nothing but support their teams only being able to eat fast food. It is pretty sad.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-06-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
For real, it's completely different when you see things first hand than when you see a video. People do things because they love to do them, and are passionate about them, that is why they are willing to sacrifice school and other stuff to be a wakeboarder. If they didn't for the most part, you wouldn't have anything to watch while you were at work. Support your riders.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-06-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
So we should support the riders (even though they, as adults, signed contracts and no longer want to abide by those contracts), but we should not support the companies? What about rider-owned companies? I can see how you can cast the "other" companies as greedy corporate fat cats taking advantage of young talent by locking them into slavery-like contracts, but if the company is owned by a rider that really puts us in a pickle!!

Also, if the rider starts to suck ride after they sign their "long-term" contract, is it ok for the company to opt out of it? Or does the risk involved with signing young talent fully land on the companies shoulders and there is no risk or responsibility for the rider?

Just trying to get my facts straight in this topsy turvey world of contract law.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-06-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
Guys - I think people DO want to support riders! I think in your case Kyle a guy signed a contract, made a commitment, and now you want folks to be pissed at the people that offered him that contract that he no longer desires to fulfill. Nobody made your buddy sign that contract. I understand he has grown greatly as a rider, but I guess that is the risk you take signing a longer term deal. We are all speculating on the financial health of a company in which we know nothing about.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-06-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
The tour doesn't entitle you to a good living. If you are consistently losing money on the Pro Tour and it's the reason for your financial hardships and you continue to do the contests, you're a sucker and World Pub is laughing all the way to the bank with your rent money.

And please spare us the "you don't know how it really is" talk. Plenty of people know how it is and choose not to talk about it because it's not any of our business.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-06-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
Well said Dave. Fulfill your current contract and then you can go sign anywhere you want and make your "big" money.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-06-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
"You're not cool for who you stick up for on an online forum in spots like this"

Oh the Irony. but you're 20 one day you'll get it.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-06-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
What a lame thread and typical flamer posting from the typical board trolls. I will admit I didn't know Gator was a richie rich and for some reason is very dissappointing to me since he was always one of my favs. Makes me think back to college and the sad hangers-on that richie rich kids have following them around. Honestly it makes me second guess even the people who used to hang around him. Ferrari to a wake comp? Sounds like a toolbox move to me.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       11-06-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
Kyle, I understand you have a personal vendetta against GB, but seriously, that is what it is, Personal! There is no need to come on here and repeatedly air yours and others personal business. I understand you have an inside look on everthing. However, if you know this much about it and have that big of problem, why don't you just call Eric and have a converstation with him.

Congrats Ricky and good luck with the new company! Can't wait to see the line.

(Message edited by balr54 on November 06, 2009)
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
Gator boards is a rider owned and operated company but is not struggling in fighting "the man". They have more money behind them then cwb, hyperlite and liquid force combined and they should treat their riders like it. The persona they put off is pretty much BS
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-06-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Yup, this is the typical "grass is greener" argument. So tough to be signed to a wakeboard company, wakeboard all day and eat fast food. SIGN ME UP!

Tell these young guys to spend as much energy at school/college as they do wakeboarding so that when they sign a legally binding agreement they know what they are getting into. Anyone try to watch SOME of the pro's on TV try to put sentences together. Good lord. Notice I said SOME.

As for the companies, this is all a BUSINESS. They look out for themselves, and whoever signs on the dotted line should be looking out for their end of the bargain as well. Unfortunately its tough times for any company right now and some are doing everything they can to stay afloat, including doing things they never thought they would have to do as a business. Companies arent slinging around cash like they were 2 years ago. Its ashame any of these Pro's cant make a decent living doing what they love, thats for sure. HAHA...guess what I can't either. LOL Remember as individuals you have the greatest power on earth...the power to choose. Use it and don't sit around making excuses.....

Speaking of choosing...why does the argument go directly to Ricky not being able to make a living from Gator, or Gator not supporting Ricky. Sounds like he is taking a risk and CHOOSING to be proactive in his life. Maybe this was his choice...sounds like it was to me. I give him credit for not sitting around complaining....but making something for himself. Probably the happiest he's ever been feeling more empowered in his career. Right on.

Carry on...
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-06-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
^^^^^^ Well said Chuch.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-06-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
it does seem that all too often that teenagers get hooked early with free clothes, products, small incentives, when their friends are grinding out high school and working lousy jobs, but those same teenagers turn into adults trying to figure how to pay the rent with product.

are people still dropping out of high school to wakeboard professionally, the whole first generation pros did...attributing to why SOME can't put together a sentence.

not worth spreading rumors, but it is worth spreading insight as to what reality is and how people need to look out for themselves.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-06-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
I'm not supporting or bashing anyone, just trying to say that maybe Kyle has a point, and y'all don't need to be so quick to judge. I'm neither bashing nor sticking up for GB, and I wish Ricky and Phalanx the best, though I felt his comment about all boards having some flex, and Phalanx NOT being a flex board company was a little harsh. Flex is the future...

Yes, I'm 20, yes, I do go to school, and am well educated. There comes a time when age only accounts for so much, and you can't sit there and fall back on the, "oh, you're 20, you'll get it someday, stupid kid," argument. I support core riders, that are putting their necks out on the line so you've got something to entertain you when you sit in your cubicle and wish you were shredding. In saying that, Shane, Erik, Jimmy, Kaesen, AJ, and plenty of other pros are core riders still. Get real if you think anyone's making a ton of money wakeboarding, but also get real that if these guys don't have enough to get by and stop riding as much you'll have something to watch. David, I understand the contract situation, and sure, it's not smart to sign a long term contract, but there comes a point when a kids taking classes, has a side job, is still shredding on contract, and eating ramen noodles that somethings a little jaded.

Long live the lake rats, and maybe someday you will 'get it'.
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-06-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
I "get it", just stop complaining about it. I'm not really trying to argue against you guys man. It just no different than the guy who works for corporate america, travels away from his family each week and got laid off this year after 33 years with a company. How's that sound? I've seen it personally. Its every where man. You just cant dwell on crap like this.

I've been in the scenario of "taking classes", working, and "eating Ramen Noodles". The only difference is that I didnt have a shredding contract. Your boy has a one up on me then, and most on this site. Whats to complain about? I guess I am just trying to get you to look at it in a positive light..thats all. I'm not sure where some people feel like they are automatically entitled to crap. All we can do right now is support the industry (feel free to support whoever you choose) and hope that in the future these guys can indeed make a living in our sport.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-06-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
Not sure exactly when, or whom coined the term "flexboard" but i Think many could agree that the term is highly associated with Slingshot and the style and construction SS introduced. Company was one of the first to later jump on ship and utilize this new/different technology and the first to make a statement that they were a "wakeboard company and not a flexboard company" and that they saw "flex as more of a feature" than a type of board as said by Randall in an interview once which i thought was a really great quote. it aimed to differentiate their brand, give credit and awareness to technologies (both old, new and yet to come), and reiterated what deep down they really are, like everyone else, wakeboarding at the core.

maybe Ricky's quote came out a little harsh. its pretty common for people or groups to want to differentiate themselves. but i agree that sometimes it comes out with a bit of a competitive biting edge. Though it was not said as openly as with Harris and Company, I'm willing to bet that Ricky and the guys at Phalanx share a similar thought. i bet the same goes for Humanoid, Sine, and now LF and CWB, and any others... in regards to Purposely utilizing Flex features and breaking away from a larger focus on traditional poured foam core boards that is.

no matter what; between forums, riders, companies, we can not sever that core that binds us together, WAKEBOARDING. we can ignore, re-color, and sometimes even sever the outer strands but never the core... i guess even more core... the seeds, would be BOARDING in general.

there's your happy metaphor for the day
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-06-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
I think when Ricky said Phalanx was NOT a flexboard company simply meant that they are not a company dedicated only to flex. They can build a board and flexes or they can build a board that is stiff. Company takes the same "engineered core" stand. I think the point he was trying to make was that they are not limited to one kind of flex pattern for their boards.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-06-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
nicely and simply put David
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-06-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
this sure got crazy, screw whatever else is going on in this thread, Ill be stoked to see these new boards. The edges look similar to company, but Im not a fan of flex so Im glad Ricky said that. Anyways, I really started this to talk about whats going on with the new company and what its all about. On top of the fact of where Ricky stands within the company. We sure got way off subject on this one so who cares who makes what or signs what. Everyone is there own man or woman right? And as far as the kids, I dont believe legally you can sign a contract without a parents consent. Therefore I would say its the parents who should be more careful when allowing a 16 to sign a contract. Have a good weekend guys