Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-19-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
Hey just wanted to share with fellow Wakeworld peeps this new electric winch system I got to check out last weekend. This thing is pretty sweet, fits right in the back of a SUV, prob even fit in a car trunk and has wheels for portability. I haven't got a pull from it but have scene it in action and can't wait to hit some spots around Madison with it! The guy who built it is on WW and thats how I met him. If you search YouTube there are some vids and some on the site. Check it out:

http://lpiwake.com
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-19-2012, 9:05 PM Reply   
Having to figure out a way to get 3 batteries to wherever you're going doesn't sound fun. They need to figure out how to integrate batteries into it or at least offer a cart of some kind to deal with them.
Old     (tristan)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-20-2012, 2:17 AM Reply   
Where's the wake coming from in the third pic?!
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-20-2012, 5:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesk8er2 View Post
Having to figure out a way to get 3 batteries to wherever you're going doesn't sound fun. They need to figure out how to integrate batteries into it or at least offer a cart of some kind to deal with them.
I asked the same thing about the batts. Hopefully you have a couple buddies going out with you so they could each carry one! For me I would buy a beach wagon or use a dolly fitted with a rack of some sort. I'm sure Kyle could come up with something also.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       11-20-2012, 5:52 AM Reply   
So what are the advantages of a battery powered winch compared to gas power other than less noise? It seems really heavy at 135lbs, then you have to lug around 3 batteries as well equalling about the same weight. How long will those 3 batteries last before needing a charge? Just seems like too many cons going for an electric winch. I'm not saying it doesn't have its place, but I would think gas would be more user-friendly in the long run.
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-20-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I'm going to respond to this as much as I can while trying to stay true to the forum guidelines.

Electric vs. Gas motors (in general). Electric = High torque at zero RPMs, fine speed control, quiet, consistent. Gas = High torque at full throttle (need clutch or torque convertor), no fine speed control, inconsistent (lot of variables factoring the delivery of power), noisy & fumy.

Gasoline vs. Batteries. Gasoline = lighter, pay-as-you-go cost (buy fuel as needed), dirtier. Batteries = heavier, pay-up-front cost, cleaner.

Ideally anything powered by batteries would use a form of a lithium battery, but the cost is just too high at the present time for high-power applications. Low-power applications like computers, cordless drills, cell phones, etc. are different applications than cars, boats, and winches. Then there are moving and stationary high-power applications, and the advantage for a stationary application like a winch or off-the-grid power supply, is that weight doesn't play nearly as much of a factor as it does in moving applications like boats, cars, ATVS,or motorcycles. This leaves the cost of the batteries to be more or less the major issue. And on that note, having an external battery pack gives the user the ability to decide on cost, size, and technology. Everyone is waiting for the lighter lithium batteries to come down in cost, and when it does, weight won't even be an issue.

Good examples of the high cost of lithium batteries are replacement batteries for hybrid cars and the top of the line boat from GoFloat (their site is under construction) and compare it to the electric golf car industry, which still uses cheaper, heavier technologies to make the product affordable. Even those cheaper, heavier technologies have a wide range of prices between products and companies. Like most of you would want, I wanted the cheapest, lightest, and correct battery type for the application. While a deep-cycle can cost around $70/battery, which isn't that expensive, it does weigh more than the lithium but is significantly less in cost. Going with a starting battery (non deep-cycle) would work until it gets drained too much and then the batteries becomes useless. That's why the deep-cycle is a more robust, cost-effective battery.

As for carrying batteries, you could do it by hand, wagon, or set them on top of the machine as you push it along. That's why it has 4 wheels. I typically just put my wakeskate on top then batteries on top of that. For sandy, soft or muddy locations, weight becomes an issue and being able to separate the load is important.

The picture with the wake doesn't showcase the machine, it showcases that it is designed and built by a rider. I get more air behind a wake, but to eliminate any confusion, I have removed the pic.

I hope that clears up some of the major ideas bouncing around with electric vs. gas in not only our industry, but with other applications in the world weighing the advantages and disadvantages of going electric.

Kyle
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-21-2012, 10:30 AM Reply   
Can it be plugged into the wall?
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-23-2012, 10:03 AM Reply   
This model is a DC model and runs on batteries, good question!

Kyle
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-23-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the use of one of these? According to the website I found 20mph is 30 feet per second so thats 20 seconds pull for 600 feet of line. Obviously you can't ride right up to the winch so lets say you get 15 seconds. I guess I am missing the application.

It looks very well built and I know your not the only one making these. I am just curious as to the purpose. Also what is the cost? Just for the 3 batteries if you go cheap I'd think that would be $300 minimum for 3 walmart brand deep cycles..
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-23-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Sorry missed the price $4000 plus batteries. Am I missing something, is this a continuous loop or am I right that you get about 15 seconds at 20 mph?
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-23-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
Sorry missed the price $4000 plus batteries. Am I missing something, is this a continuous loop or am I right that you get about 15 seconds at 20 mph?
I'd say your about right on the time. I think the fun lies in they can be used almost anywhere. Can be used at city parks or creeks without the need for a boat or jetski. I hear summer camps are also picking these up. Also can be used in winter, I've seen snowboarders play around with these. Check out YouTube, looks pretty fun!
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-25-2012, 6:29 PM Reply   
We might need to try that thing out on Wingra. We could be the only ones to ride on a lake that doesn't allow motorized vessels of any type.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-25-2012, 7:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
We might need to try that thing out on Wingra. We could be the only ones to ride on a lake that doesn't allow motorized vessels of any type.
That's a dang good idea! But I'm thinking that winch ain't pulling your butt up on 1 ski!
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-26-2012, 5:20 PM Reply   
That's what blue is for. Also, the lagoon at Tenney could be cool.