Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-04-2017, 9:50 PM Reply   
Well my 13 Expedition just doesn’t seem to be running right after getting smoked from behind by a dui driver. She’s been good to me just ringing in at 139k. Looking to unexpectedly upgrade here . So the Durango RT would be pretty much loaded leather and every option. Or do I give up some options like leather , cooled seats ( which I love) to keep the bigger truck?

Both have tow packages.

I have never been a dodge guy every. Owned 9 Tahoe Yukon variants before I went to this Expo , and quite honestly I was skeptical about the eco boost , but driving one in Colorado for 2 weeks has me sold on its power and MPG’s. The ford just rides better than any of the GM trucks in my opinion so I do t every see myself going back there. Just something about the Durango having that sports car power and sound that’s kinda got me interested.

The reviews on the new Durango seem legit. I don’t tow nearly as much as I used to we will say 3 long 4 hr trips one way on average.
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       11-05-2017, 11:21 AM Reply   
What are you towing with it? We tow our 2014 210 with a Durango R/T and it works very well.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-05-2017, 1:47 PM Reply   
It would not be about power, coming down steep inclines in CO and trying to keep the boat in check behind me would be my main concern.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-05-2017, 2:08 PM Reply   
08 210 , so both are capable of pulling that with ease .
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       11-05-2017, 2:55 PM Reply   
The Durango has trailer sway control and you could use lower gears for engine braking. Here's a pic of us towing our old boat, a 04 210 with it.
Old     (prorider17)      Join Date: Apr 2016       11-05-2017, 4:10 PM Reply   
The EcoBoost Expedition is a solid ride.. the 3.5L EcoBoost engine is also a great engine that is dependable.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       11-05-2017, 7:44 PM Reply   
We have a 15 Expedition with the 3.5 and tow our 17 Mojo with it everywhere. It does great and has tons of power. I go regret not getting the load leveling suspension however.

As for the trailer sway control, I believe that only works with electric trailer brakes which most boat trailers do not have. The expedition with the max tow package comes with the trailer brake controller if you ever do tow with electric brakes. If I were not towing and did not need the size of the expo I would totally do a Durango, just seems like it would be more fun to drive unloaded. But towing I think the expedition whoops it.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-05-2017, 8:52 PM Reply   
[QUOTE=rdlangston13;1970501If I were not towing and did not need the size of the expo I would totally do a Durango, just seems like it would be more fun to drive unloaded. But towing I think the expedition whoops it.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much sums up how I arrived here between these two. My long distance towing decreases year by year, and it’s used more as a daily driver and a hockey gear hauler . I just always though the reliability of dodge was complete crap , but their new trucks rolling out under their new merger seem to have changed that . At least according to the ratings , but ratings and real world experience are two seperate things
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       11-06-2017, 10:55 AM Reply   
The trailer sway control is a function of the vehicle stability control system on the tow vehicle. It modulates the brake inputs on (mainly) the rear wheels.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-06-2017, 11:16 AM Reply   
expo and durango have similar tow ratings? I thought expo would win out by a few thousand pounds... Durango will always feel like a mid sized SUV IMO, with expo being a bigger, more capable ride. cube ft should be bigger in expo as well.

RT has hemi so that probably makes the Durango look good on paper. I towed with a loaded jeep grand cherokee (rated at 6500lbs towing cap) for a season. simply couldn't handle anywhere near that load on the hitch. but with 4x4 and big engine, had good specs and capacity. I'd want to tow the boat with durango before I bought, that's for sure.

expo coil sprung or leaves in rear? expo should definitely weigh more and that's a big factor in towing.

Last edited by denverd1; 11-06-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       11-06-2017, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
expo and durango have similar tow ratings? I thought expo would win out by a few thousand pounds... Durango will always feel like a mid sized SUV IMO, with expo being a bigger, more capable ride. cube ft should be bigger in expo as well.

RT has hemi so that probably makes the Durango look good on paper. I towed with a loaded jeep grand cherokee (rated at 6500lbs towing cap) for a season. simply couldn't handle anywhere near that load on the hitch. but with 4x4 and big engine, had good specs and capacity. I'd want to tow the boat with durango before I bought, that's for sure.

expo coil sprung or leaves in rear? expo should definitely weigh more and that's a big factor in towing.

Expos are coil spring rear. They have independent rear suspension that basically uses struts. The expo when equipped with the max trailer tow package has a rating up like 9300 lbs weight distributing, 6,000 weight carrying.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-06-2017, 4:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
but ratings and real world experience are two seperate things
This is absolutely true. The key is to use the ratings to your advantage. I typically stay away from the Consumer Reports "anointed" vehicles. They are over-priced. You got to remember, Consumer Reports (or whoever) isn't concerned with helping you, they're just concerned with staying in business themselves.
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       11-06-2017, 6:59 PM Reply   
Durango R/T has rear air suspension which levels the load. Rated for 7800 lb. Rides nice with trailer.
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       11-06-2017, 7:01 PM Reply   
Oh and BTW we also have a Grand Cherokee Summit with Hemi which has air suspension and is rated for 7400 which also rides nice with the trailer.
Old     (CanadaJason)      Join Date: Aug 2016       11-07-2017, 7:10 AM Reply   

We tow a 14SA withours and I tow from Alberta to BC through the mountains. The boat does not push it around and the Durango has lots of power.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       11-07-2017, 5:55 PM Reply   
Are we talking 17 or 18 Expedition? That would be a big decision maker for me. The outgoing Expedition and the Durango are getting long in the tooth. The new Expedition is light years better. As far as daily drivability standpoint, I can't imagine it would make a huge difference. My wife drives a Highlander and I drive an F150. I'd much rather drive the F150 daily. I do about 30k a year.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       11-08-2017, 9:14 AM Reply   
Agree with the post above. If you are looking at a 2018 Expedition, that is a better choice by 100 miles. The Durango is a super old platform. I have no idea what FCA is doing with the Durango at this point but is was slated to be discontinued so they have not updated the platform.
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       11-09-2017, 7:57 AM Reply   
Expy for sure. You want the bigger truck to tow. Far more stable. I just updated my SUV and ended up with a Tahoe Premier which is a nice riding vehicle that can get up to 24 mph if you stay around 60 (not towing). I looked at the 2017 expy and IMO it was a truck. Rode like crap, all plastic inside. The 2017 tahoe is way nicer. That being said the 2018 expy is a different story. But its also a different price. The 2017 expy can be had around 55k, and the new expy around 65k. Big difference. Ford still doesn't match the mpg that chevy has however.

Last edited by hunter991; 11-09-2017 at 8:00 AM.
Old     (CanadaJason)      Join Date: Aug 2016       11-09-2017, 3:11 PM Reply   

I thought I posted on this but I can’t find it, we use our Durango to pull a 2014 Supra SA and we pull through the mountains regularly. The boat doesn’t push it around and the Durango handles it without issue. I’m a big fan of the Durango I had an Expedition before and the Durango is on par pulling with more power and the added bonus of not being as large for when I’m not pulling.
Old     (CanadaJason)      Join Date: Aug 2016       11-09-2017, 3:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaJason View Post

I thought I posted on this but I can’t find it, we use our Durango to pull a 2014 Supra SA and we pull through the mountains regularly. The boat doesn’t push it around and the Durango handles it without issue. I’m a big fan of the Durango I had an Expedition before and the Durango is on par pulling with more power and the added bonus of not being as large for when I’m not pulling.

And now I see my old post oh well, as for the Durango platform it is a uni body from when they were linked with Mercedes and shares a design with the Mercedes GL because of that it rides way better than most domestics.

Sorry for the double post.