Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-18-2015, 6:07 PM Reply   
My brakes went out on my boatmate trailer. I already replace the pads and blead the brakes last summer and it didn't help at all. I was getting a lot of play when I stopped and started. So I had boatmate send me a new surge brake system and trailer tongue.

But do I use the fitting in the pic. If I do it is the wrong threads to fit it too the back of the new cylinode and I can't find any to work.

I talked to a couple boat dealers today and they say screw the brake line directly in to the back of the cylinode and it the thread do work that but you can only twist the brake line so many times before its twisted to much and that not tight enough.
Attached Images

Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       04-19-2015, 11:59 AM Reply   
I redid the whole brake system on my trailer last year along with wheel bearings and so forth. Very simple. It's the same system as any car. I am not sure what that fitting in your picture is. What is between that and the output port on the master cylinder? I'm guessing this is the output from a reverse lockout solenoid? I just have an inline lockout solenoid directly off my master that is sized for a 3/16" brake line inverted flare in and out, then straight back with 3/16" line to each of the wheel cylinders.

Depending on the setup you'll either need to find an adapter to go from that that to a normal inverted flare fitting you can attach a hard line to, or eliminate some of the things in between. Bring the fitting if need be and go to your preferred local parts store and check their bins/drawers in the back and find the brass fittings required to go from that to whatever you need.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-19-2015, 12:20 PM Reply   
I think your on the right path.

The piece in the picture came off the back of my old lockout cylinder I think that what it is. It's the very last part before the brake lines.

The old system is from my 2006 boatmate and that company went out of buissnes so boatmate had to send me a whole new assembly. Which is what is giving me the problems, I think they elimedated the part in the picture with the new set up.

I think if I go to Napa a two sided male fitting I'll beable to screw it in.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-19-2015, 12:52 PM Reply   
I meant a male to female adapter
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-19-2015, 1:14 PM Reply   
I went to Napa and no dice

Cadunkle did you just screw you brake line directly into the back of your lock out cylinder.

Here is what the brake line looks like and what I'm trying to screw it into.
Attached Images

Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-20-2015, 9:31 AM Reply   
Blair,

I just finished upgrading my brakes. I got new calipers, pads, lines, rotors, along with bearings and seals. I also replaced the actuator. That is the part you have just replaced. When I get home today I'll look and see if I put that piece back in my new actuator. I'm pretty certain that I did. It seems I recall it feeling a little weird as I screwed it together, but it did tighten up and the brakes seemed to bleed out OK.

JMan

BTW, if anyone needs my old calipers, rotors and stuff, it is still in great condition. I just wanted to redo everything for piece of mind.

Last edited by jmanolinsky; 04-20-2015 at 9:33 AM. Reason: added a note
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-20-2015, 12:11 PM Reply   
Talked to boatmate today and their telling me to just crew the brake line in the picture directly into the back of the actuator. And since it doesn't twist enough to screw all the way on. I should disconnect the other side of the flexible brake line from the hard line then screw it in to the actuator. Then screw it back on to the hard line.

We see how it goes!!!!!

I love it when one tiny little part is holding you back!!!!!
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-21-2015, 8:46 AM Reply   
Blair,

I did reused the little adapter. My trailer does not have the swing away tongue like yours. I sure wished it did!

Good luck.

Jman
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-22-2015, 7:00 PM Reply   
Well boatmate was right I had to remove the soft brake line from the hard brake line. Then screw the soft brake line into the back of the lock out cylinode then use the slip nut on the hard brake line to screw on to the soft brake line. So all that worked great!

Then wait for it
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-22-2015, 7:03 PM Reply   
I thought I had every thing tightened up, all bolts on and all electrical working. So I swing the tounge close to put the pin in and be done. And I see this!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-22-2015, 7:04 PM Reply   
One more
Attached Images

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-23-2015, 5:49 AM Reply   
BMFH strikes again

Boatmate had me measure the distance CC between the holes and when I pick up the tongue it wiggled just enough to look like it might fit. So I woke the dead with the Biggest Mother F%%%!^ Hammer I could find. But its in now, all I have to do is bleed the brakes.