Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-04-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Has anyone ever used a yakima or thule snowboard/ski rack for their wakeboard. We often go to visit friends and family to go boarding and the boards are a bit of a pain to pack. I'd like to be able to put them up in a roof rack or something where i wouldn't have to worry about them taking up space.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-04-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
Matt, they work fine.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-04-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
we used to put our boards in the snowboard racks when i was young cuz i thought i was cool. hahaha. it worked fine. its a great idea though if you have little or no room in the car. only problem is you cant stack wakeboard like you can snowboards. with snowboards you can run one bindings down and the top one bindings up. wake bindings are too big for that. watch out for bees gettin inside the boot though.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-05-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
sounds good, Thanks for the response.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-05-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
I heard that can mess up the rocker.... better off getting a box, then you don't have to worry about it.... or stone damage....
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-05-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
Been doing it since '91, not rocker damage or stone damage. The only thing I don't like is you get alot of bug guts on your bindings driving home after the sun has set!
Old     (jarabacoa)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-05-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
I second what Forrest said. Get a Thule box.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-05-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
im sure that the little pressure of the racks could change the rocker if you left the boards in them for days in the heat and cold but for a drive up to wherever i highly doubt it will have any affect on the boards. if you believe that then you better not ever ride cuz i can gaurantee taking one cut out puts way more stress on the board than the racks on a car
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-05-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
The Thule or Yakma boxes are nice but kind of costly, my son just got one on sale and it was still $350 not counting all the mounting hardware.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-06-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
Set your board on the ground & stand on the tail..... Now get a buddy to stand on the tip.... Thats pretty much what those style racks will do to a board...
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-06-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
Forrest, your statement gives three areas of force as to where these racks would only produce two. Your example is inaccurate.

Being the two forces these racks would produce each clamp would produce a positive and negative force that would cancel each other out. So you could probably leave a board in these racks for a while without damage. I would say air resistance while going down the road would be a bigger factor, unless the boards are connected at the tips to where there are no surfaces exposed to catch air.

I am not the best at physics so anyone who is more knowlegeable please correct me.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
I used some Barrecrafters racks on my 'stang, bought them for the snow but found they were super useful for the wakeboards (and even jump skis and slalom skis)

You could put them on and off in a matter of minutes, using just a screwdriver.

They cost $60ish.

If you are worried about bugs, have your mom sew a little "wakeboard sock" with a drawstring at the back, just like people use for surfboards.

(Message edited by timmy on November 06, 2007)
Old    110outlet            11-06-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
I use the thule snowboard rack that holds 2 snowboards wide. Just place your first binding in side the first clip and it will sit fine. Get a wind deflector so you limit your air resitance. I havent noticed a problem with rocker, having the locks to helps so you can just leave them on so no one steals them.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-09-2015, 11:54 PM Reply   
Any of these able to hold two wakeboard a?
Old     (EchoSkis)      Join Date: Mar 2015       10-10-2015, 9:22 AM Reply   
I wouldn't worry about them messing up the rocker. Jump skiers put their $2500 jumpers in them all the time and seem to not have issues. However if you can afford a box they are great. After a day of riding you can throw all of you wet gear up there and not have any wet lake smell in the car.