Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-16-2015, 9:47 AM Reply   
Has anyone else had issues with their Fulton F2 trailer jack. I have had 2 of them go bad in the last 2-3 years 1 on my Nautique and 1 on my Bennington. When I say "go bad" the internal gears feel so bound up and the effort it takes to operate the jack you can tell something is very wrong inside. They have what looks like security screws holding it together as if to say this isn't non serviceable part or aera (keep out). It's says they have a 3 year warranty, but I never got a receipt with this jack because it came attached to my trailer
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-16-2015, 10:01 AM Reply   
And BTW I'm not parking my boat or using the Jack on un even ground and I don't have the jack fully extended or anything. I never use in salt water ect . I do get in and out of the boat with it on Jack but that seems with in reason??? Here is a look the torque bolts I was talking about.

Anyone have any experience with getting one replaced/repaired under the 3 year Fulton warranty or have a suggestion for a toung jack that lasts more then a few years.
Attached Images

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-16-2015, 10:04 AM Reply   
My friend's went bad on a 2012 model year. Gears are messed up in the top of the jack.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-16-2015, 10:06 AM Reply   
looks like standard torx to me... open that bad boy up
Old     (mcdye)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-16-2015, 10:15 AM Reply   
torx head screws, gear kit... http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...FQEdaQodlEgISQ
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-16-2015, 10:55 AM Reply   
^^^ ok stupid question^^^

Why would I take it apart to only find out what I know that the gears are mushroomed and or messed up causing drag ect. So that I can What? Order new gears? I'm guessing these would be something only Fulton makes and or sells.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-16-2015, 11:13 AM Reply   
(Ok I have to admit I was curious) I took it apart and the only thing that pops up right away is that the grease is pretty jammed up and more glue like then grease and it feels like the jack is quite sloppy. Perhaps the gears are fine but the plastic runners or sliders the jack moves on are worne and it causes the jack to get sideways in the tube itself and having lube that's more like glue I'm sure doesn't help. To bring this thing back to life it seems it would have to sit in a parts washer over night. Don't know if I'm that willing to take it on. The garbage can is real close and its calling for the F2
Attached Images

Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-16-2015, 1:10 PM Reply   
Grant,

Mine has been getting tight too and I have had it for about 2 years now. I just figured it was a wear and tear item. It doesn't seem very quality to me.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-16-2015, 1:16 PM Reply   
There's a service bulletin on these somewhere that calls for a drainage hole be drilled into the metal casing. Let me see if I can find it.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-16-2015, 1:18 PM Reply   
Found it

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...52&postcount=5
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       07-17-2015, 6:27 AM Reply   
I replaced my first one with another f2 because I was in a rush to go to the lake when it seized. It was only two years old. I tried to warranty and that run around was a nightmare so I gave up and threw it away.

The current one I have is doing the same thing - getting tight and heading toward seizing I am sure and it is less than a year old. I hate these things and will be getting something different when this one goes down.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-17-2015, 7:27 AM Reply   
Are you relubing the gears?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-17-2015, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimme View Post
I did the fix yesterday and it works. Mine loosened up a ton. It feels like it did when it was new. Thanks.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-17-2015, 8:55 AM Reply   
Crappy grease. I've cleaned and replaced my grease before.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2015, 10:19 AM Reply   
Now that I have dissected my jack I'm tempted to "try" and de grease it and re lube it and see what happens. I hate wasting time "trying" to re fresh something using the original parts. I have little hope that simply taking something apart and cleaning it and putting it back together with new lube it's gonna be magically fixed.

Thanks for the Service update, I'll drill a hole in it while it's all apart. That makes total sense that the water gets trapped and becomes the source of issues
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2015, 10:35 AM Reply   
I'm guessing marine blue trailer wheel bearing grease would be what I should use to re-lube and re assemble that jack?
Old     (kenerator)      Join Date: Feb 2014       07-17-2015, 10:46 AM Reply   
Great thread! I'm gonna drill the vent and regrease like the bulletin recommends before I have problems.
This is the grease I use on all things marine.
Attached Images

Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-17-2015, 12:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Now that I have dissected my jack I'm tempted to "try" and de grease it and re lube it and see what happens. I hate wasting time "trying" to re fresh something using the original parts. I have little hope that simply taking something apart and cleaning it and putting it back together with new lube it's gonna be magically fixed.

Thanks for the Service update, I'll drill a hole in it while it's all apart. That makes total sense that the water gets trapped and becomes the source of issues
I think you just like taking things apart. Lol. Let us know if yours is fixed.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-17-2015, 6:24 PM Reply   
I hate this junk jack but what are the other options? I'm on #3 in 3 years. The current one is a F2 with a footplate, which I like better, but is shorter also. Give & take I guess.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2015, 7:29 PM Reply   
^^^ I feel ya^^^
After taking myn apart Someone at Fulton got back to me in regards to a potential return???? So I'm gonna wait a few days and see if a RA# comes around. If that happens I'll just throw it back together and throw it in a box and send it back.

I think after taking myn apart it looks like something that can and should be serviced. I'm tempted to "try" just cleaning it and put it back together but not really. I see they sell replacment gears on their website. Along with some other parts. I would think if you had a fresh set of gears and new clean grease and drilled a hole for water to escape you would be good to go.

Another idea is just bite the bullet get a new one and hold on to the box and recipt and keep your fingers crossed. That way if anything go's wrong you have a box and recipt. If not a rebuild is a option?
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-18-2015, 8:42 AM Reply   
I have a Road Runner trailer built in Lewisville, TX, and I hate it. I've had to get several welds fixed and I've been saving for a new trailer since I bought the boat, but it did come with a good jack. I thought I had a cheap jack that would not last, and it started to squeak a little and was slightly more difficult to turn the crank. I was looking at replacing it with an F2 until I saw lots of threads like this. It's made to be pretty easy to service. I took it apart, cleaned off the old grease that had quite a few dips in the water, and then put down some fresh grease on the gears on top and in the tube itself to help it slide a little better. It worked. It had no squeak and has been feeling like new for the last 2 seasons since I serviced it. I know it doesn't look cool like the F2 but it's strong, functional and easy to service compared to the F2.

http://www.shelbyindustries.com/Trai...ube-Jacks.html
Old     (1sikkvlx)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-21-2015, 6:36 PM Reply   
Ive been waiting since may 16th for replacement wheels to my dual wheel f2 jack. Ive emailed at least 4 people from cequent group and everyone i talk to says they will "personally" handle it. For now i have a garage floor jack holding the boat up.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-22-2015, 8:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok01 View Post
I have a Road Runner trailer built in Lewisville, TX, and I hate it. I've had to get several welds fixed and I've been saving for a new trailer since I bought the boat, but it did come with a good jack. I thought I had a cheap jack that would not last, and it started to squeak a little and was slightly more difficult to turn the crank. I was looking at replacing it with an F2 until I saw lots of threads like this. It's made to be pretty easy to service. I took it apart, cleaned off the old grease that had quite a few dips in the water, and then put down some fresh grease on the gears on top and in the tube itself to help it slide a little better. It worked. It had no squeak and has been feeling like new for the last 2 seasons since I serviced it. I know it doesn't look cool like the F2 but it's strong, functional and easy to service compared to the F2.

http://www.shelbyindustries.com/Trai...ube-Jacks.html
how well does the wheel pivot? Thats my problem with the cheaper Fulton. To get the wheel to pivot I have to kick it or move it with my hand. I push my boat in the garage by hand the last few feet. So this is a HUGE deal for me. Which is why I was considering getting the F2 I need the wheel or wheels to pivot real easy.
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-22-2015, 2:49 PM Reply   
I always rest the wheel on a block to give my garage floor a break so I don't know how it pivots. I have a RZ2 which is about 6,000 lbs (boat and trailer) with an empty gas tank, I don't push it into my garage. It's got a single platic wheel to pivot on and I suppose if you had a smooth garage floor it would roll on it. From this F2 thread it seems like the internal gears and external housing are a little stronger than the F2.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-22-2015, 3:16 PM Reply   
Something like that happened on mine a few years ago. I think the handle pulled out while I was cranking it. I was able to take off the top and get it fixed but I have never really been impressed with this jack. It was supposed to be the bees knees when it was first released.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       07-23-2015, 8:53 AM Reply   
Mine has just crapped out on a trailer just over 1 year old. I think it will be replaced under warranty though.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-23-2015, 9:25 AM Reply   
I don't know that I've seen an F2 that hasn't failed in one way or another. You're better off with a regular round jack, then replace the plastic wheel with a urethane coated wheel with greasable bearings (Northern has them) and it'll roll and turn awesome so long as you keep the jack and wheel greased up.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-23-2015, 9:42 AM Reply   
mine jammed up too! and upon opening it up, one of those gears was broken! biggest waste of money I have ever spent!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-23-2015, 9:44 AM Reply   
I now have a cheap ass jack I bought in the rush, just to get to the lake, and its been on and working for 3 years now! My F2 lasted two years before it broke
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-23-2015, 3:57 PM Reply   
Fulton says Limited Lifetime Warranty

http://youtu.be/fT18U7yBc2k

I'm getting the run around as well.
Attached Images

Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-24-2015, 4:48 AM Reply   
I've always taken "limited lifetime warranty" as warranted for the limited lifetime of the product, lol.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-24-2015, 4:49 AM Reply   
When those 2 wheel jacks first came out I wanted to get one so bad, but couldn't justify the cost. I just bought a cheap one from Northern Tools. Glad I didn't buy one now.
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       07-24-2015, 10:49 AM Reply   
I boat in salt water and have this jack, the first one never locked up but got super stiff to crank. When I got my new one, I installed SS studs into my trailer with nuts, now I just remove the jack when I dunk in salt water. It takes maybe 1 min to remove and install.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-28-2015, 4:42 PM Reply   
Ok I MIGHT be getting some where with this jack as far as returning it. I was able to get a phone number of the Nor Cal rep for Fulton and get them to issue a RA # and even send me a shipping Lable to return the messed up jack!!!

Stay tuned I'll let you know what transpires.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-30-2015, 5:34 PM Reply   
Ok it took a while but I got a replacment F2
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-30-2015, 5:39 PM Reply   
Get the Rep for your area. Send them a email asking for a RA # or case Number. Include a picture of your product and if you have s receipt it doesn't hurt. I didn't have a receipt because this jack came on the trailer my Pontoon boat sits on. Once they get you a RA# they will get you a Fed Ex return shipping label you print out. Then when your new Jack shows up throw your old one in the box. "And be sure to pack it well" and affix your Fed Ex return label to the outside and drop it of at Fed Ex

By By .
Attached Images