Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-13-2016, 9:02 AM Reply   
So I am about to pull my boat out and do a detailed cleaning to it. I want to clean the seats. They look a little dirty probably from the several camping trips last summer. I tried using Meguirs boat vinyl cleaner and while it cleans the surface the vinyl still hade a dirty look to it. I am familiar with the Mr.Clean magic erasure in combination with the Totally Awesome cleaner form the dollar store. That works incredible but I found out just how abrasive that combination was on my last boat when I started un-earthing a patch job in the upholstery. So, I am not sure I want to go that abrasive. I am also uncertain what that would do to the trim vinyl that has a light grey color to it. Does anyone have anything in between that will get the white back without the abrasive nature?

Also, I have a spot on one of the seats that has a dime size area of tree sap on it. Probably go there from being parked at the campground. I am trying to figure out what to use to get that off without damaging the vinyl.

This is on a 2005 Sanger V215 if that matters, not sure if the vinyl really differs that much across brands.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-13-2016, 9:08 AM Reply   
standard cleaning (just did my pre-season detail, came out looking great) I use aerospace 303 cleaner followed by 303 conditioner. maybe goo gone on the tree sap? I know there are other options, babe's, etc. may look at those when I run out but these work for me
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-13-2016, 9:23 AM Reply   
I use Malco which is what the totally awesome is essentially....the TA being the knock off. I've personally never used TA but I have never had an issue with the Malco cleaner that I use. You magic eraser is very abrasive and definitely should not be used.....ever. I follow up after cleaning with the 303 as well. Have used the combination for years now.

Others: Just to name a few.
Babes
Hula Boat Care
Boat Bling
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-13-2016, 10:54 AM Reply   
Dawn dish soap. Bar none the best I used it side by side with ta it worked better and is non abrasive. You're welcome. Lol jk
Old     (Tallredrider)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-13-2016, 11:09 AM Reply   
You need a soft brush to use with whatever cleaner you choose and it will make the cleaner 5 times more effective.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-13-2016, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
You need a soft brush to use with whatever cleaner you choose and it will make the cleaner 5 times more effective.
This plus Boat Bling Vinyl Sauce then follow with BB Condition Sauce and let it soak in. Use discount code DFTR2016 if you can't get it local.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-13-2016, 1:08 PM Reply   
My local dealer sells the Babes products, not the boat bling. Is that just as good as the boat bling? I may give the dawn dish soap a try because I already have that. Do you apply the dish soap straight to the vinyl and use a brush or just soapy water and a rag?

That aerospace 303 looks like it gets some awesome reviews on Amazon.

For those using a brush, I am assuming you use something with the softness of a toothbrush, right? I think my kitchen brush would be pretty firm and abrasive for vinyl.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-13-2016, 2:20 PM Reply   
I use one of these: https://www.google.ca/search?q=rubbe...rJa6ceWa_KM%3A
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-13-2016, 2:58 PM Reply   
I like 303, boat bling condition sauce, and collinite leather wax. The leather wax especially for protection
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-13-2016, 3:18 PM Reply   
Anymore ideas on getting the tree sap off?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-13-2016, 4:17 PM Reply   
A brush makes a huge difference. I just use a nylon hand held scrub brush like you might have for a kitchen. A toothbrush is too soft to get the dirt in the vinyl patterning.
I love the 303 protector but have found their cleaner to be poor. I use StarBrite concentrate because it's cheap and easy on the environment. The most effective I've used is GM upholstery cleaner which is a foam in a can.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-13-2016, 4:18 PM Reply   
Ethanol will help with tree sap. You can also put a little butter on it. The oils can soften the sap.

Last edited by rallyart; 04-13-2016 at 4:23 PM.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-13-2016, 6:41 PM Reply   
Some Walmart stores carry Boat Bling in the boat section where I got mine
Old     (302_Rider)      Join Date: Oct 2015       04-13-2016, 6:52 PM Reply   
I just used boat bling for the first time yesterday and am very pleased with the results. 303 worked well but I think the vinyl sauce did a little better with stubborn stains. I followed up with condition sauce and came out great. I have the hot sauce and quickie sauce yet to try on the outside. If it works like there interior cleaner I will prob be hooked. I found mine at cabelas
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       04-13-2016, 7:20 PM Reply   
I use either 303 Spot cleaner and a brush or degreaser and a brush. Both work well
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-14-2016, 10:46 AM Reply   
Deep clean with Malco and soft bristle brush. U Won't believe the outcome.
Follow up with Aerospace 303.

Then routine clean with Babes, PBC, Boat Bling, or Hula - take your pick.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-21-2016, 8:19 AM Reply   
I stand corrected. I was using dawn to clean my new boat and had some grime that was "stained" I had a bottle of TA I figured why not. It cleaned the hell out of it. My old boat was so clean it didn't make a difference. This boat it made a huge difference. Like new now!��
Old     (crimson850)      Join Date: Feb 2015       05-21-2016, 7:55 PM Reply   
Totally awesome, followed by 303 protectant
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-21-2016, 10:40 PM Reply   
If you want an ultimate clean get a steam cleaner hand wand with a brush at the end...but be prepared to do the ENTIRE boat because once you start it will be night and day between what is clean wand what is not.

I made that mistake once by steam cleaning just a section...then I realized how not clean the rest of the boat was!

http://www.amazon.com/Steamfast-SF-2...W%7CB0106ANJAG

Last edited by Shawn; 05-21-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old     (Hawksinkalispell)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-02-2016, 6:01 AM Reply   
I bought a boat that was FLITHY, been cleaning the vinyl with a nail brush from the dollars store and totally awesome cleaner. The Nail brush has just enough abrasive to get the TA worked into the vinyl and clean the vinyl surface without to much abrasion, then I use a microfiber cloth also from the dollar store to remove the moisture. Right after that I've sprayed on Mothers VLR (vinyl , leather rubber) to retain the moisture. My vinyl is night and day clean but a little slick to sit on which is probably better than sticky, I haven't found the top coat that is the happy medium, not a big fan of 303 (seemed to dry out the vinyl in my old boat, could have been a reaction between 303 and a previous cleaner residue?). Also picked up some megauirs 57 (marine vinyl and leather) so far my opinion is that is the same as the mothers but 3 times the cost.

Last edited by Hawksinkalispell; 06-02-2016 at 6:10 AM.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-02-2016, 7:36 AM Reply   
Never really thought about steam cleaning. Guess thats more of a once a year or twice a year thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
If you want an ultimate clean get a steam cleaner hand wand with a brush at the end...but be prepared to do the ENTIRE boat because once you start it will be night and day between what is clean wand what is not.

I made that mistake once by steam cleaning just a section...then I realized how not clean the rest of the boat was!

http://www.amazon.com/Steamfast-SF-2...W%7CB0106ANJAG
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-02-2016, 7:41 AM Reply   
I ended up buying babes seat soap and protectant. I just started cleaning the seats with the seat soap and a brush. While they look clean, its not the level of clean I was looking for. Not like using the magic eraser with totally awesome on my last boat. I'll have to think about what to try next.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-02-2016, 9:48 AM Reply   
^ RM: DO NOT USE A MAGIC ERASER!!!........unless you hate your boat. They are way too abrasive for your vinyl. You are doing more harm than good.

Just use the totally awesome and a good brush and spend some time.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-02-2016, 10:16 AM Reply   
soft scrub and a brush does wonders
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-02-2016, 12:00 PM Reply   
I use the Exquisite that was a hot topic years ago, but not sure if you can still get it. Here is the link to the old posts about it

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695420
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-02-2016, 1:42 PM Reply   
Totally Awesome is the only cleaner that has been able to clean my white seats. 303 afterwards!
Old     (jpaul)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-03-2016, 2:12 PM Reply   
My last cleaner was exquisite, cleaned okay but left vinyl super soft. Just tried boat blings vinyl sauce and conditioner today, the sauce cleans way better/easier, and conditioner is better than 303 as far as applying and feel.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-04-2016, 7:36 AM Reply   
When I bought my boat the interior was super white nice and clean the original owner used this stuff http://www.quicknbrite.com/ and 303 vinyl protection and you couldn't tell it was ever even sat on so I followed his lead and it still looks fabulous .
I keep a spray bottle of diluted simple green in the boat too so if ever the interior gets dirty or a small stain I can get it off right then and there . I also keep glass cleaner and quick detailer and microfibers ...anal I guess lol
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-06-2016, 5:54 AM Reply   
UPDATE : We were tied up to a group of boats visiting with friends and hanging out and someone sat in my boat with a brand new bathing suit or towel and got the blue dye on one of my seats and I cant get it off with the Quick N bright or simple green. I did manage to get most of it off but I am afraid to use the Magic Eraser or something else abrasive..really sucks
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-06-2016, 6:41 AM Reply   
Hey Rick you'll be alright it's a boat. If you use it enough it's inevitable,gonna show wear. Just enjoy it and relax on keeping it clean you'll have more fun. FYI I was the same way as you.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-06-2016, 7:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Hey Rick you'll be alright it's a boat. If you use it enough it's inevitable,gonna show wear. Just enjoy it and relax on keeping it clean you'll have more fun. FYI I was the same way as you.
No way dude its gotta come off haha no but really I know all is well I'm just trying really hard to keep this old boat in good shape for as long as I can . I wont be in a position to buy another boat anytime soon . Especially since we are trying to buy a travel trailer as soon as we get a couple things paid off . I am getting a couple pieces reupholstered after this summer so maybe I'll have to throw that seat in the shop too ..(if I don't get it clean by then)
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-06-2016, 8:22 AM Reply   
On really hot days take the cover off where the stain is. It will completely fade out by the end of the summer
Old     (JR_88)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-06-2016, 10:05 AM Reply   
The girlfriend had a print pattern that looked to have made a stain on the seat, cleaning, scrubbing had no effect last summer. Couple outings later it was gone. Let the sun works its magic and you'll forget it even happened until someone else has the same issue. Now if only this logic could apply to the her taking a chip out of the fiberglass. Then some vinyl discoloration isn't nearly as big of a problem. Enjoy it and put your money into upgrades, not replacing a perfectly serviceable cushion.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-06-2016, 11:15 AM Reply   
HAHAHA thanks guys ...The cover is off as we speak lol