Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-28-2017, 10:39 AM Reply   
On Saturday I got a chance to see and ride the 2018 Fi23. This boat is a new design that incorporates the technology from the Ri models at a lower price point. It has less freeboard and can't carry quite as much weight as the Ri models but is an awesome boat that fits exactly what I'm looking for.

Jerry from Centurion along with their pro-rider Travis took 4 of us out for a couple hours of surfing and demo. The boat was pre-production so some of the details weren't fully finished but it was complete from a performance standpoint. And wow did it perform. Some notable impressions:

Loved the interior and overall size of the boat. The bow is super roomy and so it the main cockpit. Unlike some 23' boats I've been in it didn't feel too big. I've got an 08 Xstar and while it was definitely bigger inside, it wasn't overwhelming like say the Ri237 or G23 which feel huge by comparison. I also liked the lower freeboard. It felt like being in a boat rather than a vessel. Its a great looking boat, relatively sleek compared to most of the competition. And while it has lower freeboard we never took any water over the bow or stern and there were a couple of other boats surfing in the same cove. We were running ~5000# ballast between the ram fill and sacs.

This was my first time surfing a Centurion and it didn't disappoint. The wave was big and long with picture perfect curl. While I was surfing they kept telling me to go farther back and it took some time to get used to that. Its remarkable how far back the wave goes and still has push. The video I posted is of Travis and it gives a good Idea of the wave but its bigger in real life. Travis is a big guy (6'+).

Jerry said this boat as equipped with most of the options you'd want is ~$110k MSRP. It has ram fill, plug and play, down fire stereo and very nice clamping board racks. The engine is a 450 hp 6.2 and according to Jerry gets excellent fuel mileage.

Also worth mentioning is that a semi-pro-level wakeboarder I know took a set behind it and said it had a great wakeboard wake and he is a die-hard Malibu guy.

Many thanks to Jerry and Centurion for the fun demo. This is now at the top of my list as my next boat.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...OaSYd5iadbfdtu

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...6ROCmx60R-4CHf

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...8VH_zRHM3hxzyh

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...aKFW4FgAa3XSJX
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-28-2017, 11:14 AM Reply   
Your photos don't work; they require a google account.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-28-2017, 12:05 PM Reply   
OK, trying again to share.

https://goo.gl/photos/BXkgSrAmGWCY1rYC6
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-28-2017, 12:07 PM Reply   
Working now, thanks! Yeah that wave looks great.
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-28-2017, 1:14 PM Reply   
This might be one of best looking boats out there right now. I always loved my Sanger's sleek profile and dislike the bathtub and weirdo lines that were popular the last 4-5 years. Supra's line have improved a bit as well
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-28-2017, 2:07 PM Reply   
looks fantastic! How is the new helm/display?

Last edited by onlyinboards; 08-28-2017 at 2:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-28-2017, 3:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyinboards View Post
looks fantastic! How is the new helm/display?
The helm is one of my favorite features. I wasn't a fan of the twin displays in the Ri models. The larger single display in the Fi looks more modern to me and integrates well with the rest of the dash. I didn't get a chance to see how all the features work with the screen menus so can't say much about that. The wheel is looks very good to my eyes and I'm picky. I've seen too many helms that are ruined by an awkward looking wheel. Malibu single spoke, I'm looking at you. The paddles to control the surf tabs and speed are a nice feature. Reminds me of an italian supercar with the console mounted shift paddles.

Last edited by cbarguy1; 08-28-2017 at 3:42 PM.
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       08-29-2017, 9:45 PM Reply   
@cbarguy1 the new Centurions are nothing short of amazing. Gerry O. Is absolutely correct the hull efficiency is crazy good. I fill all the ballast on my 257, and have 1000 pounds of lead, we still average 7GPH fuel usage.
The wave they are creating is second to none right now. With all of the tabs, etc you can make any shape you want. Everything from super tall barrels, to long flat skim waves. All with the touch of a button.

I should also add the construction is absolutely industry leading. I am at 116 hours since March, really only had 1 issue of any significance, for a new boat that is best i have ever had, by a huge margin.

Last edited by Darkside; 08-29-2017 at 9:49 PM.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-30-2017, 7:06 AM Reply   
I agree, my 2017 Ri217 has been stellar. Build quality is top notch. Been very impressed so far.
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       08-30-2017, 2:44 PM Reply   
Looks great, I'd love have one. I got to ride Darkside's ri257 and it was bananas!
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-30-2017, 9:43 PM Reply   
the stillman factor is a real thing. supra took a turn for the better now centurion.
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       08-31-2017, 3:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
the stillman factor is a real thing. supra took a turn for the better now centurion.
The difference is Supra still confined him, Centurion unleashed him!
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-01-2017, 9:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
The difference is Supra still confined him, Centurion unleashed him!
lol, its funny i've seen your name on his fb but didn't make the connection. Hes always got some killer ideas and just a good guy too

Last edited by bass10after; 09-01-2017 at 9:33 AM.