Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-21-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
What is the safest way to pay for a boat across the country? I found a boat that I like in Bakersfield CA. I trust the guy but I don't want to get scammed. Who else has done this?
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       10-21-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
hopefully someone will chime in on here that is close to bakersfield and they will go look at the boat for you. many times people have steped up and helped. might want to re list this post with bakersfield in the title.

good luck
Old     (bullit)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-21-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
Make the investment and fly to see the boat! Pictures do not always tell the story. For shipping put it on USHIP.com, I have had awesome luck with that site.
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-21-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
I live in bakersfield. if you would like i could go and look it over and send some pic's and what i think of it
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-21-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
If you are really serious, see if there is a local dealer in the area. Call them up and ask for an inspection. They usually charge a little bit (~$100), but they can do an entire check from top to bottom and let you know of any issues.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-21-2009, 11:08 PM Reply   
be very anal and ask for tons of pictures and questions. Do some serious leg work on the internet about the person. You can sometimes find TONS of information about a person on the internet. If you need help, PM me.. I do IT Security for a living and am VERY good and hunting people down anywhere including nonUS. Plus my brother in law is a repo god and learned some tricks from how they hunt down people.

I bought my X2 from someone selling on here. I had to drive from AZ to Cali (near Sactown) just to pick the boat up and see it for the first time ever. However, after tons of communication, research about the person, I felt very confident (so did he). The seller should be concerned as well. It's a two way street here. If they aren't concerned as well and it all sounds easy, then make it difficult. :-) Have them meet you half way and only give them 1,000 deposit. Lots of people would be willing to meet halfway to get rid of a boat these days, you would be surprised!

Only give them a deposit, do not pay for that boat until you see it!! Have him photo copy his driver's license and fax it to you. Don't be afraid to ask where he works, what his address is and see if you can confirm any of this by doing your leg work and research.

Hope this helps you. I learned all this from the guy I bought my boat from on here. He set it all up and did it first class style.

(Message edited by hawaiianstiln on October 21, 2009)

(Message edited by hawaiianstiln on October 21, 2009)
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-22-2009, 3:59 AM Reply   
Hello,
I bought a boat abroad last year, I flew over to check the guy and the boat, everything seems ok. The boat was in a really great shape, it said that it has 400 hours, but actually it has way more.
I just sell the boat a month ago (fortunately I didn't loss money) and I'm looking again for a boat. Do you have some tips to check about how much hours the boat has???
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-22-2009, 5:26 AM Reply   
I sold a classic car sight unseen to a European shipping overseas.

Get a copy of the title faxed to you. A fairly large deposit is also good. Title changes hands when full payment happens. We changed alot of pictures and had a mechanic look at it.

On newer boats, a certified mechanic can get an engine readout that lists actual hours. DONT go by the hour meter!
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-22-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
I have bought my last 2 boats without seeing them. I went to pick them up with a check in hand even after never seeing them in person. This site is awesome and I am sure you can find someone in Bakersfield to look at the boat for you. I agree with what others have said, just talk with the seller a ton. Get to know him and ask an obscene amount of questions. Ask if he visits this site etc...As far as shipping depending on the boat try using your local dealer(if you have one) to help you out. I bought a Malibu in Tenn and my local dealer was working on shipping it to me when they got their allotment of boats from the Tenn plant but I just decided to take a road trip with a buddy and pick it up myself...
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-22-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
I had him send a ton of pics and told me the good and faults of the boat. I called Gailey's Marine and they are going to do a check on the boat for me it is kind of pricey $230 but that includes an annual service. The towing company agreed to take my cashiers check to the guy and pay for it when they pick it up and he agreed to it.
Thanks Adam I might take you up on that.
Keith I am sending you a PM
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-22-2009, 6:46 AM Reply   
He also has a tile business in the area and according to Manta he has been in business for 9 years.
Old    murphy8166            10-22-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
If you can afford a new boat...you certainly should be able to afford a round trip plane ticket.

Seems obvious to fly out there and complete the transaction.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-22-2009, 7:21 AM Reply   
I made a little vacation weekend out of it when I flew out to San Fran to buy my boat.
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-22-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
I think y'all are right I can fly to California for under $500 and back the same day. After I buy the boat should I have him haul it to a storage lot for me? Rent a truck? Is anyone off on Friday here I can pay?
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-22-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
I used uship.com and had good luck shipping it cross country.

Just watch who you are using and you should be alright.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-22-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
If your going all the way out there why not dip it in the water and take it for a test drive?
Old    Slingshot            10-22-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
I would go see it in my opinion. Depending on what year boat you are buying, it would be nice to know it doesn't have any dry rot. Also, a test drive is VERY VERY IMPORTANT! what if he hit something and is selling it without telling you. You get in and drive it and the thing shakes like hell cause the shaft is bent...that would suck, and let me tell you from experience working on boats, removing a shaft from a V-Drive is a pain in the a$$! What if its been in salt water and its rusted in some places? What if the owner has installed stereo stuff or lights and just hooked it up to power in the wrong places causing your gauges to go all weird when you turn stuff on? I would suggest you look at it, or at least have a shop look at it and take it for a test drive so you know what you are getting. I'm not trying to scare you, but it sure would suck if the boat was messed up when you receive it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-22-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
I've bought two boats from cities several hundred miles from my home. In both cases I had a local rider go check it out for me, call me from a cell when they were sitting in the boat, send me a few pics of what they were seeing, asked the seller a boatload of questions and had a dealer check it out for me. And in both cases I made the drive, took the boat for a test drive, did the deal myself & towed the boat home myself.

The only part of that process I'd be willing to sacrifice is the towing it home. Having it towed & delivered by a reputable person/company should be fine if the rest of the process goes well.

We're spending way too much money on these things to not protect yourself in every way possible.
Old     (jmusser)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-22-2009, 8:37 PM Reply   
If you come to Bakersfield I would be willing to haul it to storage for you. I'm off from work on Friday 10/30 and would be more than willing to help someone get a new ride.

I bought a boat a few years ago from Louisiana and made the one day trip for a water test. Way worth it for the peace of mind. Buena Vista lake is close by for a water test, a ugly lake, but it will work.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-23-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
I once bought a boat located in Monroe La. I live in Nor.Cal. It seemed crazy, but it was what I was looking for. I flew out to Monroe, The guy picked me up from the airport with the boat in tow. We went straight to the river for a full day of cruising. Luckily, the guy was totally cool, and we had a great time hanging out. I stayed at a local hotel for the night, made the purchase the next day, arranged for a shipping service to deliver the boat. No glitches, no hang up's. Maybe I was lucky, but I think you have to feel comfortable with what your doing. There is always that risk you take.