Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2015, 9:20 AM Reply   
Hey don't know how many of you have gotten a chance to see this TV show. They pick items that they deem Historical and then they restore them. It's a restoration documentary show with out all the games and drama and best of all its Comercial free.

The scale of the restorations they take on are Amazing. 2 ones that blew me away were the Sail Ship "coronet " & the Pipe organ. Huge projects that took years to complete. To see how they built things like Sail Ships & Pipe organs & Trains back in the day is amazing.

The show seems to be geared toward older folk but young people will still find it very Intresting a great show to watch with your dad or grandpa.

http://www.ultimaterestorations.com/extras-2/
Old    bigdtx            04-01-2015, 11:01 AM Reply   
There's another one I've seen - can't remember the name where they restore things like old slot machines, jukeboxes, and cash registers.

They DO have all the BS - fake drama, etc - but still interesting between all that.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-01-2015, 12:21 PM Reply   
That show is called American Restoration Big D. And you are correct ... it is 100% drama with absolutely zero substance.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2015, 2:46 PM Reply   
American Restoration. Yes that show is a JOKE right up there with Pawn Stars ect. Ultimate Restorations is the real deal. Dude's doing Serious work and no fake drama.

Just to give you a Idea of the Ship restoration project. First they had to build this facility to do the restoration
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2015, 2:53 PM Reply   
The size and thickness of the wood they had to source to make this thing was amazing I had no Idea they could Mill lumber this huge. Much of the wood they had to get came out of Denmark. The Size of the Ships rib's are huge and the band saw they used to cut them with is pretty bad a$$
Attached Images

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-02-2015, 6:36 AM Reply   
I want to see a pic of the band saw!!!!!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-02-2015, 6:37 AM Reply   
and what they used to guide the wood through it. Or did the saw move and the wood was stationary
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2015, 9:30 AM Reply   
Blair; The band Saw was amazing it could rotate 180° like A Uni saw or table saw. What you don't see in the pictures is that the outer flat surface of the ribs of the boat have to curve along with the side of the boat so that the outer skin or planks mount flush against the ribs. It was also cool to watch them join huge pieces of lumber to make the keel
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-02-2015, 9:58 AM Reply   
It's funny how these "build type" reality shows start and they are for the most part about what they are building. eg: restorations, bikes, cars etc. After a while it becomes less and less about what they build and more about the other BS. I wish the networks would realize the shows become popular because of what is being worked on and made and not the drama crap that follows. For the most part it really makes me realize I should have taken a trade as a lot of what I watch are these kinds of programs. Making stuff with your hands....although I make a pretty good living talking. ie. sales.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-02-2015, 10:28 AM Reply   
That thing is impressive! I will have to check this show out.

I think if these types of shows are produced right, you don't need the drama in there to keep the viewer's attention. I think they are trying to keep it from being like a PBS show that loses viewer's interest because it's a boring documentary.