Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-04-2015, 11:35 AM Reply   
Ok now I know this will not excite most but I feel like I'm the Luckyest guy right now . Last night I went to this party and the host said hey come here I wanna show you something. He takes me into his shop and said "I heard you have been looking for one of these" I was like I'll give you $500 for that right now. He said NO! But you can give me $400. "SCORE!!!!!"

I have been looking for one of these for quite some time. You can find them on Craig's list rangeing from $300-$800 and that's with out a stand. And this one is in cherry shape. These vices are some what of a sought after item. I started paying attention to nice vices when I saw that BUGATTI made vices and they are BAD A$$ vices. But I'm not paying $9000 for vintage vice. Colombian and Wilton make some of the best vices that won't break the bank.

Wilton Bullet Vice in production since 1941. For those of you that know a bit about them do you have any Idea how old this one is. If you remove the Jaw there is a stamp with the number "179" at the bottom of the the number one is backwards?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-04-2015, 11:44 AM Reply   
Here she is
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-04-2015, 12:05 PM Reply   
It's also referd to as machinist vice
Attached Images

Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-04-2015, 4:26 PM Reply   
That is a nice tool. I'd love to find one of those, 400 is grand theft.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-05-2015, 10:02 PM Reply   
I'm guessing it's a 8-1/2 jaw opening it Gos 9 but then I would not want to clamp at that size
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-05-2015, 10:04 PM Reply   
8-1/2 jaw opening
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-07-2015, 7:36 PM Reply   
My new vice turns out to be a Winton 450s The" S" is for swivel. Myn was made in 1979 New they are $800 and used they range from $75-$500 depending on condition I would say my'n is in very good condition, The Jaws look almost new and it has very little as far as hammer dammage/gouges

Looks Like I need to join the garage journal fourm, LOL But on a serious note this is like the 3rd or 4th time I have come across garage journal.com and they always have cool stuff.

Its strange to find out that people all over the world are into the most off the wall stuff I would have never know that there was people that collected/restored Vices

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=94393
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2015, 8:35 AM Reply   
I give your the Holly Grail of vices.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2015, 8:36 AM Reply   
These are Reproduction vices of the original. The Baby vice sells for 6k I would hate to think what the full size sells for
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2015, 8:39 AM Reply   
I was reading Garage Journal were a guy was talking about a Millionairs car collection and his garage with all his exotics. He said that all of the work benches had a Bugatti vice on them!!!! Dam
Attached Images

Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-15-2015, 5:24 AM Reply   
Sweet. I picked up a Parker 8" opening a few years back when I broke my old vise. Want to say I paid $80 for it. It's not a Wilton, but I'm very pleased with it. Stripped it apart, cleaned, painted, lubed. Also note, while collecting vises can be a vice, a vice cannot be a vise in and of itself. GJ is a very cool and useful site.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2016, 2:03 PM Reply   
Ok I know we have some real Tool goons here on this site, and this thing is old hat to you, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit I didn't know these existed until a few months ago. I knew all about mills and how they worked but I had No idea for light duty items like Plastic and aluminum you can use a drill press for milling. And you can "play Machinists" I'm stocked. I love my Wilton Vice so this was a no brainer!
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2016, 2:05 PM Reply   
What can you guys suggest for milling Bits. Remember I'm doing soft stuff like Hard plastic's and Aluminum and MDF wood?
Attached Images

Old    deltahoosier            12-01-2016, 2:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Ok I know we have some real Tool goons here on this site, and this thing is old hat to you, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit I didn't know these existed until a few months ago. I knew all about mills and how they worked but I had No idea for light duty items like Plastic and aluminum you can use a drill press for milling. And you can "play Machinists" I'm stocked. I love my Wilton Vice so this was a no brainer!
Never herd of using a drill press for aluminum. While it may work, I have my doubts on press life. Usually don't have the staging for making parts.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2016, 4:26 PM Reply   
Yes check out Youtube: No shortage of drill press milling videos. Some people even convert old drill bits into milling bit's but with the amount of stuff I'm going to be doing and soft type of material I'm using I can get a few real milling bits. "Harbor Freight" here I come
Old    deltahoosier            12-01-2016, 4:49 PM Reply   
They would toss me out of the machine shop if I milled with a drill press haha. You may be able to do it, just not a great idea. Aluminum can still grab and try and throw what ever is not tied down and then break the weakest parts. If you end up climb cutting and not taking small cuts, it can get out of hand quickly.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-04-2016, 8:56 AM Reply   
My Friend that is a Machinist gave a bunch of end mills. Check out this 1500 Pound piece of Aluminum he is milling.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-04-2016, 8:58 AM Reply   
This started off as a huge block of 6061.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-04-2016, 1:52 PM Reply   
END mills
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-05-2016, 11:44 AM Reply   
These are cool (not like I have the machine) Tom are use of it but even seen a Liquid Cooled drill bit? That's right the cooling vents spirals right threw the bit
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-05-2016, 11:45 AM Reply   
Here is the back side or bottom of the bit where the coolant comes in,
Attached Images

Old    deltahoosier            12-06-2016, 10:29 AM Reply   
Nice. I have done some machining over the years (been a few now). I mill and lathe decent looking basic parts however I would never ever insult a machinist and say I am a machinist. Those guys are gold in my book.