Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-18-2015, 1:05 PM Reply   
Hey guys. Last night some scumbag decided it would be a good idea to steal 8 of my wetsounds, 2 amps and my surf boards. The wetsounds had the grills wrapped purple but i am sure they will take them off before they sell them. The amps were ARC 600.2 and a 300.4. The surfboards were a red phase 5 doniello diamond and a hyperlite broadcast. If anyone sees anything on craigslist or ebay please please call me! 4152331129. My poor boat. Just got it back yesterday as well. I hate thieves
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-18-2015, 1:08 PM Reply   
So pissed that people feel it's ok to steal
Attached Images

Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       04-18-2015, 1:34 PM Reply   
Ugh. And I really like your boat. One of my favorite boats on this site. I have been watching Cali statewide and craigslist for wet sounds and will keep you in mind!
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-18-2015, 2:01 PM Reply   
its super upsetting. I work my butt off to have nice things and to have someone just yank it away it sucks! luckily i have insurance and ill be back on the water in a week or 2. the cops got a really good print off one of the wetsounds they tried to steal and couldnt get off. And it was brand new i just had it put on so the only prints on it should be donald who installed it! So hopefully that will yield some results.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       04-18-2015, 2:07 PM Reply   
You change your setup again? 10's or more 8's?
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-18-2015, 2:22 PM Reply   
i just put on another pair 2 days ago! so i had 10 rev10s.
Old     (TitanBC)      Join Date: Feb 2015       04-18-2015, 8:18 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your loss, I am having two pairs of rev 10's put on my boat now. I was thinking the other day about theft and was wondering if there was anyway to make them harder to steal? Tack weld the bolts? Or special Allan key bolts?
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-18-2015, 9:28 PM Reply   
How did you get the police to take prints as opposed to just filling out a report for your insurance company? The last time I had something stolen they wouldn't even come out. I had to fill out my own police report online. It seems like the only thing they ever do any more is speeding tickets.
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-18-2015, 11:03 PM Reply   
I was thinking of putting torque head bolts in the new ones i get. Would be harder to get out then allens because no one would expect you to have those. Eric I called my police department and they sent out 2 guys. I insisted they took prints. The loss in total is about 12k so its a full blown felony if they get caught which i really really hope they do. wetsounds are rarely forsale used so if anyone sees any online please call me
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       04-18-2015, 11:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp513 View Post
I was thinking of putting torque head bolts in the new ones i get. Would be harder to get out then allens because no one would expect you to have those. Eric I called my police department and they sent out 2 guys. I insisted they took prints. The loss in total is about 12k so its a full blown felony if they get caught which i really really hope they do. wetsounds are rarely forsale used so if anyone sees any online please call me

Where are you located? That really sucks man. Was it parked outside? In the water? Driveway? Hotel?
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-19-2015, 4:10 PM Reply   
Im in oakley ca. Ya parked outside my house like my boat has been for the last 2 years! crazy part is i just sold this house and was suppose to get the keys to my new one friday but there was some delays. Been there 2 years without issue.
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-19-2015, 7:55 PM Reply   
I'll keep an eye open up here in sac area!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-20-2015, 9:11 AM Reply   
Just a lil too close to antioch. Where you moving
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-20-2015, 9:12 AM Reply   
Tgat dies suck though man sorry to hear about that. When u was a general contractor I had a house I was remodeling dude door kicked in and ALL of my tools stolen. Such a helpless demoaralizing feeling
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-20-2015, 10:46 AM Reply   
i bought another house in oakley but this one has a huge sideyard so it wont be parked out front. Its such a pain in the ass. More i think about it the more mad i get.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-20-2015, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp513 View Post
Don't do allens or torx. Do actual security head torx with the little deal in the middle. I carry a leatherman wave with me every day. It comes with a complete set of bits, multiple philips, flatheads, and a complete set of allens.
Most universal screwdrivers you pick up, even at the dollar tree, come with a full set of hex/allens, most of the time even in the handle.
I can almost guarantee if someone is going to rip stuff of like that, they at least have a screwdriver with multiple heads, including allens.

Get security bits, allens are not hard to get around, most of the time you just need to put a flat head screwdriver across two points and you don't even need an allen wrench.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-20-2015, 3:59 PM Reply   
I take mine off every time I go out. Bump all that.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-20-2015, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Don't do allens or torx. Do actual security head torx with the little deal in the middle. I carry a leatherman wave with me every day. It comes with a complete set of bits, multiple philips, flatheads, and a complete set of allens.
Most universal screwdrivers you pick up, even at the dollar tree, come with a full set of hex/allens, most of the time even in the handle.
I can almost guarantee if someone is going to rip stuff of like that, they at least have a screwdriver with multiple heads, including allens.

Get security bits, allens are not hard to get around, most of the time you just need to put a flat head screwdriver across two points and you don't even need an allen wrench.
While you are right about using the security screws, the wetsounds brackets that come with the revs and most likely what he had on there are Allen heads...

Sucks that happened man, hopefully something turns up. I hate theives more than anything.

Weird story: I had a specialized mountain bike stolen from me, filed a police report and about 8 months later I was driving in a different part of Austin, I saw a guy riding in the shoulder on my bike. I slowed down and followed him to where he was going (while fighting the urge not to kill him). Got the cops on the phone and they showed up and I got the bike back...
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-20-2015, 5:31 PM Reply   
Security torx are really security torx when security torx bits can be purchased right along side standard torx bits.

Just fill the allen head with silicone. Prevents the insertion of the tool without digging out the silicone. Thieves are typically on a tight schedule...........
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       04-20-2015, 7:07 PM Reply   
I agree with TigeMIke...I have done the same and it's a bit of a pain to dig the silicon out.
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       04-20-2015, 7:18 PM Reply   
I am sorry to hear about your loss. Hard working people getting ripped off by low life's suck. Beat of luck getting a things replaced. I will keep an I on Craigslist as well.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2015, 11:36 PM Reply   
Oh man, thats lame. sorry to hear.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2015, 11:43 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear your story and see your now-cycloptic tower. Hope they dont come back for that last one too. Good luck with the insurance company.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-21-2015, 1:47 PM Reply   
I do agree that the security torx aren't exactly secure, but they are less common than someone would readily have. Allens, regular torx, and screwdriver bits are more commong.

If you really want to throw a wrench in their plans, put these in.

One way screws, like you see in public restrooms. They only go in, not out. You need a special tool to take them out or need to drill them out. I doubt any thief will readily have that screwdriver available or take the time to drill them out.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hillman-Gr.../dp/B003VG39Z8

Or you know, weld the screws to the brackets. Weld the brackets to the tower. You can also try licking everything, everyone knows if you lick something it's yours and won't take it.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-22-2015, 7:04 AM Reply   
I used the multiple type of screws for holding in the speakers in my Jeep Wrangler. As a result of the thief not being able to get ANY of my speakers out they trashed my jeep instead (stabbed all speakers, keyed FU in the hood, and smashed in head unit). They did end up getting my awful burned CD collection, toolkit, and couple hoodies. They cut my soft top window to break in despite the door being unlocked (real Einsteins) . The insurance company tried to push back on paying for it as it technically wasnt all "stolen". After driving it to their estimate shop they finally caved.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-22-2015, 11:50 AM Reply   
Dude! really sorry to hear about this. Getting things stolen SUCKS!!

I had a similar story a couple years ago. I had taken my boat out of storage and was working on it in my driveway for a few days before dropping it into my slip.
One morning I came out and jumped in the boat and started messing with and tuning the stereo. I checked the sub, all good. Checked the inboats, all good. then I checked the tower and found I had no sound. I messed around for a good 15 minutes checking wires under the dash and under the observers compartment at the amps. couldn't for the life of me figure out why I wasn't getting sound. So I am laying there under the helm looking up at the back of the deck and I glanced at the tower. HOLY ****!!! someone stole my REV 410's!!!
I had the Allen head security screws holding them on. I realize they are minimal security since you can buy the wrench for them at most any hardware store but I at least thought it might slow them down enough to where they would move on. Im guessing that the thief came there one night and saw what he was dealing with and then went and bought the tool he needed the next day and returned that night. Called the cops, filled out the report, contacted insurance fully anticipating never seeing them again.
So a couple weeks go by, and I am out on the water with my family and we decide to go have lunch at a local riverfront café at a local marina. As we are pulling in I see a boat tied to the dock after being unloaded from the trailer.. I smack my son on the shoulder and say "look at that boat over there, what do you see in the surf rack?" he says "that's our old surfboard you sold" FLASHBACK - 2 days before my speakers got stolen I sold a an old surfboard to a guy through Craigs List.
Back to the present day, I say to my son "notice anything about that boat? He looks at it for a minute and his eyes get all big "Those are our speakers on his tower!!!"

so I park the boat and tell the wife to go call the cops and I walk over to the boat. The owner is walking down to his boat after parking his car and I approach him and say "How's that surfboard treating you?" he looks at me and doesn't recognize me at first but then his eyes get big and he says "Fine" So I said how are those speakers you f-ing stole from me treating you??? He gets all nervous and tells his buddy who is holding the boat to the dock "get in, lets go"

I told him the cops were on there way, I knew what his truck looked like in the parking lot and hell I even had his name and phone number from corresponding about the surfboard. He started giving me a story about how he bought them and had the receipt at home, then he said he bought them off Cl. then he jumped in his boat and took off.

So the cops came and I told them the whole story, had names, plate numbers, witnesses, the whole deal, case closed right?

Wrong. The cops interviewed the guy and he stuck to his CL story and because there are no serial numbers on WS speakers I had no way of proving they were mine. I couldn't believe it. What are the chances you will stumble upon someone who stole something from you?, do 95% of the cops job? and there is nothing they can do!!

So in the end my insurance came through but I did learn 3 valuable lessons.
1. Be very careful about selling stuff on Craigs List and meeting the person at your house. In all honesty after the speakers were stolen I did not even think of the guy as a suspect. When he came over we chatted for a while about surfing, boats, etc.. seemed like a nice guy and a fellow boating enthusiast. Shame on me.
2. Figure out a way to be able to positively identify your Valuable belongings. Etch your birthday or SS number or something into them
3. Those security screws are not very secure. The silicone idea is good, better yet, fill them with solder.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-22-2015, 12:19 PM Reply   
are you f'n kidding me?!?! Ugh!! thieves suck a giant donkey dong
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-22-2015, 2:10 PM Reply   
If you can't get your speakers back, next best this is a beat down if you ever see him again. Not a fighter, but if I saw $3k work of my tower speakers sitting on someone else's tower I would become one real quick.
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       04-22-2015, 2:54 PM Reply   
My best way to prevent theft of my tower speakers is to just take them off. You can't steal what isn't there right?! I have skylon vectors and their swivel/ quick release mounts just use one Allen set screw. Takes a minute to remove all four. The only time my speakers are installed on my boat is when I'm using it that day. I remove them every night out at the lake.

My amps are screwed down with those sequrity torx screws. The heads are impossible to see unless your burry your head into the observer compartment with a flashlight. But then again, I always cover my boat at night also.

I'm not sure how easy wetsounds are to remove, but that's the best way to prevent theft. My speakers sit inside the house when not in use.
Old     (dilpickle)      Join Date: Aug 2013       04-22-2015, 3:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightv10 View Post
Dude! really sorry to hear about this. Getting things stolen SUCKS!!

So in the end my insurance came through but I did learn 3 valuable lessons.
1. Be very careful about selling stuff on Craigs List and meeting the person at your house. In all honesty after the speakers were stolen I did not even think of the guy as a suspect. When he came over we chatted for a while about surfing, boats, etc.. seemed like a nice guy and a fellow boating enthusiast. Shame on me.
2. Figure out a way to be able to positively identify your Valuable belongings. Etch your birthday or SS number or something into them
3. Those security screws are not very secure. The silicone idea is good, better yet, fill them with solder.
Regarding 2-I usually mark in a place that noone has a reason to look unless they know-pull speaker out & ID inside housing, for instance. Makes it a little difficult to explain if your name is inside the stolen property.