Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Kyson)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-10-2013, 1:10 PM Reply   
Just sold my last boat this past weekend, and looking to quickly purchase a late model wakeboat.

I've done a lot of research over the past few weeks and have arrived at an Axis A22 Recon as a leading choice.

Of course every brand of dealer dogs every other brand so I'm trying to discount the various things I'm hearing daily from dealers.

Leading questions - it doesn't seem like you can negotiate much off new boats - is it still too early in the season? I'm reading of folks on here buying new A22s moderately equipped in the low 50s, but I'm seeing moderately to well equipped A22s (recon or not) 10k north of there. I'm not opposed to a used late model something else but want a modern look, 10-14 person capacity, real world usefulness and a solid boat without flex, creaks or drama. Primarily use will be a weekend recreational board and surf boat for teenage kids and friends. I'd love to spend 45-55k but can stretch to 65k (A22 recon territory) but definitely want the best bang for buck if headed there.

Ideas from folks who actually use these boats would sure be valued, and particularly anything useful from Axis owners. I understand the slight improvements to the '13, love the look of these boats and will be driving one this weekend. Are they problematic in any serious ways? The Tige dealer told me to avoid them because of thin fiberglass shell and resultant flexiness ("just walk up to one and push in on the side or move the throttle side to side and watch the hull flex"). I've read nothing but good from a mechanical perspective with the negatives being personal observations of rear storage layout, etc. Also getting some strong feedback from the Moomba dealer on the new Mojo 2.5 though that boat is more conservatively styled for certain.

Anyway, apologies for the long first post and thanks in advance for any commentary on best way and time to buy, used alternatives in pricepoint and observed quality and usefulness of the A22 and its competitors.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-10-2013, 1:27 PM Reply   
In most cases the A22 will be in the 60's, unless it's really stripped down on options. A20s can be had in the low 50s.

I've been in an A22 quite a few times, it's never felt like a crappy built boat or noticed any unusual flexing. To be honest, these boats aren't really run in very harsh environments anyway. They are not offshore fishing or race boats. Typical conditions are lakes with maybe some chop and small to moderate wakes that you would probably power down to go over. That's not to say it's OK for a boat's hull to wiggle like a noodle, but you don't need it to be built like an aircraft carrier either.

There are several options for new in the 55k range. I would certainly look into the MB F21 if you have a local dealer, and the moomba is a good look too, but I think you'll find a better wake behind the A22 and the F21.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-10-2013, 1:39 PM Reply   
I owned 2 A22's. I loved them both. Fit and finish will not be as nice as, say, a malibu or mastercraft, but the A22's are a lot cheaper. I had no problems out of my boats. I felt that they were rock solid. Honestly, the best feature of the Axis is it's wake, and how easy it is to achieve that wake and enjoy it in a variety of conditions. The A22 produces a nice clean wake at a wide variety of speeds, and with just about any weight configuration. The analog switches are easy to use, and will be cheap to repair over time. You don't have to give every new driver an hour long tutorial on how to set the cruise, pull up rider presets, blah blah blah. One thing you definitely should do is go and demo the A22 with at least 700lbs in each rear locker over stock, the front pnp bag full, the factory ballast full and the wedge down. You may have to add a little weight in the nose if you are at altitude. Compare that wake to what you can get out of the Mojo or any other boat you are considering. Also, factor in the ease of the plug n play ballast, the auto set wedge, and the simplicity of all of the controls in general. Lastly, there are tons of malibu/axis dealers across the country. Axis is a very good selling brand. You should be good to go with getting service/warranty work anywhere in the county, and you should be able to sell that A22 pretty easily when you're ready to.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-10-2013, 1:44 PM Reply   
There's a lot to be said about simplicity. I love my '12 A22. While it's far from the most simple Axis available, it's still free of all the high dollar equipment that I'm afraid of with regards to the repair bills.
I currently have ~400 hrs on my LS3 and list of issues I've had on it since March of last year: GOOSE EGG!

(by the way - mine is for sale : )
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-10-2013, 2:37 PM Reply   
Hunter, I'm in a similar buying issue as yourself. At least budget wise. The boats I originally looked at were the MB F21, Axis A22, Supreme v226 and the mojo. I'm still working on deciding what I will end up purchasing at the end of the year but here is what I have noticed.

I've heard the A22 has the best wakeboard wake out of any in the price range with maybe the F21 behind that in the group listed. All except the Mojo (from research) have great surf wakes with some added ballast but none are real good without any extra weight for surfing. The major issue I had when I got a chance to look at the A22's were the "feel" of the interior. The interior felt really cheap and low quality (to me), and the tower looked almost like a DIY install. The MB f21 seemed like a very high quality boat for the price (interior, tower and gelcoat), but I didn't like the feel of the shallow interior depth. The supreme's seem on the newer side of boats and when I did a little background research on them it seemed like they had manufacturing/management issues in the past and maybe they are a better company now? But either way it made me wonder. The mojo seems like a good boat, but on the moomba forums it seems like people complain about the surf wakes quite a bit (or they have to fill all the storage with bags and pumps).

This is just my opinion from the research I've been doing and maybe others can elaborate and maybe suggest other boats that might be a good buy in this price range!
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-10-2013, 7:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
One thing you definitely should do is go and demo the A22 with at least 700lbs in each rear locker over stock, the front pnp bag full, the factory ballast full and the wedge down. You may have to add a little weight in the nose if you are at altitude. Compare that wake to what you can get out of the Mojo or any other boat you are considering.
Load a Mojo like that and you'll have a wakeboard wake that will be more than most can handle and a fantastic wakesurf wave. It's plug & play, too.
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-10-2013, 8:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakesounds View Post
The mojo seems like a good boat, but on the moomba forums it seems like people complain about the surf wakes quite a bit (or they have to fill all the storage with bags and pumps).

This is just my opinion from the research I've been doing and maybe others can elaborate and maybe suggest other boats that might be a good buy in this price range!
Not sure what, or when, you read that on the Moomba forum, but it's only been posted by newbies that are asking for advice. Those that have set their boats up correctly have been very pleased, especially regular side riders, with the Mojo surf wave. You can get a great surf wave without adding any pumps and doing minimal mods.

The pumps take up almost no space. There are 3 reversibles tucked behind a panel in the port locker. When you throw 1,100 lb bags in just about any rear locker, regardless of brand, you're going to eat up most of the storage space. Great thing about the Mojo is even with an IBS, you can store safety gear, anchor, etc in the bow, there is a cavern for jackets, towels, etc behind the observers seat, there is room under the observers seat for anything else.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-10-2013, 8:04 PM Reply   
I would test drive both F21 and A22.

I have had both. I will say the fit and finish of the MB is a little nicer no doubt, but the Axis is catching up I believe.

The wake on a F21 is awesome, but will not clean up with any kind of ballast until 20-21mph. The reason for me to go back to Axis is the fact that my wife and daughters would not ride behind the F21 because of the speed I had to run and the size of the wake was too big for them at the lower speeds.
The Axis will be a better all around boat especially if you go with a 13' or 14'.
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-10-2013, 8:18 PM Reply   
go for the Tige R20, you will be much happier. under 50k, and no ballast wake, is bigger than an A20's wake with full pnp ballast and wedge.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-10-2013, 8:25 PM Reply   
Oh snap. This is going to get good.

Have you guys heard? Tige don't need any ballast because TAPS makes the wake bigger.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-10-2013, 8:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Oh snap. This is going to get good.

Have you guys heard? Tige don't need any ballast because TAPS makes the wake bigger.
Where is the popcorn? I need a front role seat.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-10-2013, 8:47 PM Reply   
Crap...I just wasted all that time installing ballast in my Tige!!! LOL
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-10-2013, 10:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for the post drew. I haven't had personal experience with them, just some research. Maybe someone with personal experience with some of these brands waves/wakes can post better comparisons?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-10-2013, 11:07 PM Reply   
Hunter. I have 2 years on my 2011 A22 with zero issues except for a few small vinyl problems (from factory noticed on delivery). The vinyl was improved, i believe in 2012, went a little bit thicker (problem was the stitching would hold up well but the vinyl would tear at the holes made for the stitching).. then in 2013 they upgraded the vinyl too and now I believe it is the same quality and texture of some or all of the malibus (maybe vride series??)

Anyhow, this 22 footer drives and turns and handles amazing, clean no ballast wake at 17, crazy big wake with 4000 lbs no wedge at 24, solid hull going through double ups and chop, SOLID tower. It may look DIY to some, but the thing is thick and solid. No issues whatsoever with the tower. Go to Axis owners forum and you will find vinyl issues in the older <2012 Axis, but not many other issues.

The wake, IMO, is the best wake you can get besides maybe an 04-2012 xstar, new MXZ, or G23, in any price range. The interior vinyl, cubby holes, dash, and glove box area is where money was shaved, but it has held up perfectly.

Driver seat area is very ergonomically friendly compared to most boats. The dash is simple and easy to use/teach others to use. Cruise control works great and is so simple.

Best thing about it is the wake, you cant really mess it up much. You can under weight the bow, or over weight the bow, or basically have no clue what you are doing and just throw a bunch of ballast in there and you will get a great wake, clean on both sides at normal riding speeds, no porpoising either. It is also not side to side sensitive like deeper v hulls.... nautiques, MB's, Tige's, some MC's, Supra's, Moomba's...etc. So you dont have to worry about setting people up in your boat and making them sit completely still as to not ruin the wake.

hull flex. In 2007 the mastercraft dealer told me to go to the malibu boats at the show and push on the middle of the side of the hull and watch how much it gives and flexes, as opposed to the 2007 xstar he was showing me. I did it, it flexed a tad. Well those 2007 malibu VLX's are still one of the best boats ever made, as well as that 2007 MC xstar. Moral of the story? I don't know what flex or non flex does over the life of the boat, but I do know that I have been in multiple VLX's and Axis' and there is nothing flexy about them.

Good news is you are driving one this weekend. Bring your check book because once you drive it, search is over. Also, there were 2013 A22's here in so cal, dealer floor brand new for $49k nicely equipped. Not a vandal or recon, but had a lot of options. Not sure where you are from but mid 60's seems high.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-11-2013, 7:13 AM Reply   
Where are you in Texas? Anywhere near Kilgore?
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-11-2013, 7:41 AM Reply   
WQe looked at the axis and we looked at the mojo. We decided on the mojo as it had more storage, more room, taller freeboard. Loaded up and it throws a great wake and killer surf wake. I have seen a few axis boats and they are nice. Im not one to dog other brands, but i think it was a better fit and finish.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-11-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
Hate2party. I live in Kilgore. Waz up?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-11-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
Maybe you can give him a real demo if you know what I mean....... I am also a fan of the Axis A22 wake. Everyone has their own decision to make. It is not easy that is for sure Hunter!

Last edited by slipknot; 07-11-2013 at 8:07 AM.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-11-2013, 9:39 AM Reply   
For $65k I'd look to a 2ish year old Malibu LSV.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-11-2013, 9:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
For $65k I'd look to a 2ish year old Malibu LSV.
Best thing I have heard all day.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2013, 11:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronoss View Post
go for the tige r20, you will be much happier. Under 50k, and no ballast wake, is bigger than an a20's wake with full pnp ballast and wedge.
hahahaha :d
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-11-2013, 3:23 PM Reply   
I own a Tige and there is no way in HELL a Tige is throwing a bigger wake than an Axis with the same amount of ballast much less no ballast vs full ballast. We ran our old A22 with 3600lbs and it would break your ass off if you weren't careful. Our Tige throws a nice wake but dollar for dollar there is no better wake out there than an Axis.
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-11-2013, 4:09 PM Reply   
Hate2party..where are your from. I'm in longview
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-11-2013, 4:26 PM Reply   
I have not spent a lot of time in an A22, but can you fit 10-14 people in one comfortably?
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       07-11-2013, 4:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter660 View Post
I have not spent a lot of time in an A22, but can you fit 10-14 people in one comfortably?
I've had the privilege to ride in one 2 weeks ago, an 11 A22 Vandell. We had like 8 people in it and it wasnt crowded at all. The bow was huge and so was the play pen IMO. We had 4 or 5 of us just in the rear on surf side and even there it wasnt crowded. Im coming from a 21' DD tho, so of course it wasn't crowded to me
Old     (morrisdl)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-11-2013, 5:11 PM Reply   
480 hours on my a22 now and unless I win the lottery my next boat would be anouther axis. No problems except the aforementioned vinyl seams (replaced under warranty).
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-11-2013, 11:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter660 View Post
Had 8 adults and 4 kids all in the cabin... bow empty, and we were very comfortable. 14 adults in the cabin would be rough. I think if we had 11 adults, that would be my max in the cabin before we would have to start moving people up into the bow.
Old     (Kyson)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-12-2013, 7:38 AM Reply   
hey thanks for the replies everyone. As with everything, the more research you do, the more questions and cross checks you come up with.

I'm sold on the styling, and excited to take one out. My quandary now is whether to negotiate on the standard motor, lightly equipped 13 or actually order the higher HP, well equipped boat that I want in a perfect world.

Thanks again.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-12-2013, 8:54 AM Reply   
Hunter, I would try to get one with a ls3. I have a 2011 loaded a22 but have the 335. I can't have full pnp (950 mushroom and 750's in rear) ballast and wedge down with more than 3 people in the boat. The boat will not plane at all. I ran no wedge this weekend and had 6 people in the boat with 4 in the bow and still had to drain water from the rear. . . given I had the 5 blade cinco prop on this weekend. I will tell you from experience that if the 450 was an option in 2011 I would have opted for it. I don't know why anyone thinks the 1235 prop is good on these boats, they're not any good unless you had the 450. The 1615 that acme used to sell wasn't bad, but the 2315 would be the prop I would get for sure if you ended up getting the 335 engine. I do own one (2315) and i still have to drain ballast in the rear. I have used the boat with the same results both when I lived in Ohio and Arkansas so elevation isn't really a factor. I would get a z5 if you plan on having a lot of wakeboards with you. . . I love having mine and will never purchase another boat without one. I love the simplicity of the boat. You don't have to worry about touch screen crap going on and everything is fairly easy to access if you have to work on pumps or replace things in the engine. In the 2+ seasons I've had mine I put over 315 hours on it. . . would be more if a girl didn't rear end the boat on the highway the first year I had it. I had a 2008 Supra sunsport 22 before this and have ridden in g23's, 230's. . . etc. and this is the 2nd best wake i've ever ridden. The first being a g23, which is a little expensive for my blood. The great thing about this boat though is how at 16-17 mph you can put some kid on a 55ft. line and he will have a clean wake and I have yet to see that on any other boat besides Malibu's. You can obviously load it up with weight and have a pro-size wake in a matter of 10 minutes. The fit and finish might seem on the cheap side, but it has held up just as well as any other boat i've been in. I've had 0 major problems with the boat besides a pump going out this year which i just replaced with a 800 tsunami pump from wal-mart and a wedge pin falling out after a buddy hit something in the water. I've always gotten compliments on the boat and people have always been impressed with the wake. I would not hesitate to buy another axis. I have been on all the MB models and even though the fit and finish might look "nicer" I didn't care for the wakes. . . and it's not as easy to get your side to side weight even. With the pumps you can drain one side easier than an MB with their pure vert ballast. I'm not taking anything away from MB though because they make a beautiful boat and is priced great for what you get. These are just my opinions though. Have fun test driving and I would bring all the weight you plan on running in the boat with you so you can see if the base engine is something you can deal with. I can deal with mine, but at times when I have a lot of people I wish I had the 450. Good luck with everything.
Old     (Khyber)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-12-2013, 9:18 AM Reply   
I would wait a couple months, SAVE, and negotiate for an Axis 2014 with SG. SG is a game changer and will impact the value of your boat in the future for resale.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-12-2013, 10:14 AM Reply   
Andrew, what year MB's did you ride, every model..really ? Are you from Cali ? Ohio has never had a MB dealer, MI would be the closest, how would a pump drain better than pure vert, not buying it. I can even up in a snap with the pure vert on every model that I've had or sold.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-12-2013, 12:57 PM Reply   
2012-13 MB's. I had a friend that was going to buy one and we tested them out. I never said they were a bad boat and i'm not trying to get into an arguement. From my experience I didn't care for the wake. Thought the surf wake was just ok as well. We tried the weight with an extra sac up front and I wasn't too impressed. Too weight sensitive side to side like my Supra was and that was a huge selling point to me with the Axis. The dealer was up in Michigan in Fenton. Like I said I think they're priced well and are a good boat just not what I would buy personally. I don't care for pure vert. The wake on the 23 was sensitive side to side, the 21 was spot on, but small. My friend ended up buying an Epic and it always was curling over on the port side. I like being able to pump a little out at a time to get it perfect.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-12-2013, 1:00 PM Reply   
So what changed your mind?

Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-12-2013, 1:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf4242 View Post
Hunter, I would try to get one with a ls3. I have a 2011 loaded a22 but have the 335. I can't have full pnp (950 mushroom and 750's in rear) ballast and wedge down with more than 3 people in the boat. The boat will not plane at all.....
You must have the wrong prop.

I had 8 people in my boat (girls up in the bow), full PNP, wedge down, and was absolutely able to get on plane. It took a second, but as long as some of the weight is up front, it'll be fine. plus, as driver i get to look at the girls
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-12-2013, 1:24 PM Reply   
Jon,
I liked the wake on the 23, but the side to side sensitivity is a turn off. The 23 has a great wake if the boat wasn't like my Supra. Is it better than my Axis? No. That is all just my opnion though. I like the concept of pure vert, but after being in an epic with it I learned to not like it and quick. That was after riding the MB and figured thats why the 23 was hit and miss on the port side as well. The 21 wake was good but, it needed more weight in the boat. Like I stated before I never said MB was a horrible boat. I think everyone should check out evert boat they can to get their own decision on what they like. I was impressed with MB when I rode in them. It was a solid boat and the interior was very comfortable. Would I ever suggest one over an Axis. . . probably not.

Danny,
I don't see how you or anyone is getting on plane with 750's in the rear of the Axis with the 335 with more than 3 people in the boat. I do have the best prop that was suggested to me from an engineer at malibu that tests the props for Axis. I just let weight out the back and call it good. Still is an amazing wake.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-12-2013, 2:03 PM Reply   
thanks Jon, ummm, never mind
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-12-2013, 3:00 PM Reply   
If you say the MB b52 surf wave wasn't impressive...u had it weighted wrong!
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-12-2013, 7:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
go for the Tige R20, you will be much happier. under 50k, and no ballast wake, is bigger than an A20's wake with full pnp ballast and wedge.
Guess I need to sell my A20...
Attached Images

Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-12-2013, 9:58 PM Reply   
I don't want to turn this into a mb thread since he was asking about an axis. We had stock ballast the first time and then when we went and demoed others with extra like 400lbs in the locker then in the bow while boarding.
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-13-2013, 9:39 AM Reply   
I honestly was going to buy an Axis after I saw all the great things I heard about them.

Before I bought my R20, I test drove almost every single boat brand out there. Axis was the absolute worse of all of them in MY OPINION. I know there is a bunch of fanboys here, but again this is just my opinion after demoing a lot of boats.

The one I actually test drove was a Vandall 2012 A22, with full PNP ballast, there was 2 people in the boat and me behind with the wakeboard. Ballast was set to max, and wedge deployed. Depth was about 6ft.
The wake was very small, I dont know why, but it was. I heard their wake scales very well with weight, so maybe we just did not have enough people in it.

Malibu on the other hand, is a very great boat, loved it, good wake, just a bit over my price range.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-13-2013, 9:57 AM Reply   
I own an axis, don't classify myself as a fanboy, but will say no boat is going to throw its best wake in 6 foot of water.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-13-2013, 10:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
I honestly was going to buy an Axis after I saw all the great things I heard about them.

Before I bought my R20, I test drove almost every single boat brand out there. Axis was the absolute worse of all of them in MY OPINION. I know there is a bunch of fanboys here, but again this is just my opinion after demoing a lot of boats.

The one I actually test drove was a Vandall 2012 A22, with full PNP ballast, there was 2 people in the boat and me behind with the wakeboard. Ballast was set to max, and wedge deployed. Depth was about 6ft.
The wake was very small, I dont know why, but it was. I heard their wake scales very well with weight, so maybe we just did not have enough people in it.

Malibu on the other hand, is a very great boat, loved it, good wake, just a bit over my price range.
Bump that depth go 12-15 ft and see what happens lol. Post some pictures of your R20 wake and your ballast setup!
Old    Axis22            07-13-2013, 10:49 AM Reply   
Axis boats throw the best wake for the money ask the pro's must of been weighted wrong or wrong speed
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-13-2013, 10:51 AM Reply   
Most pros I've talked to will tell you that an old 05-12 xstar is the best wake for the coin....
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-13-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
Here is the R20 wake, with no ballast, but about 5 people in the boat.

http://i.imgur.com/ilFhtiN.jpg

I have no reason to lie, not a tige fanboy. I have owned other wakeboard boats before, and will probably trade my R20 for a G21 if it ever comes out.

Cons for R20:
* Left and right side must be balanced for a clean wake on both sides.
* Does not ride very good in rough waters.
* Drain plug location doesnt drain all the water due to the Convex V hull.

Plus:
* Can surf really well for a 20ft boat
* Wake is big
* Gas consumption is very optimized
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-13-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
For reference.
RZR surf system plus bow sac for a total of 2250 and 2 people
And for a yard stick.
X25, total 2500lbs ballast and 2 people.
I am over 6 ft tall.
Attached Images

Last edited by simplej; 07-13-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-13-2013, 11:39 AM Reply   
Sorry cant get both in one post via iPad
Attached Images

Old     (Kyson)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-15-2013, 8:51 PM Reply   
Thanks again everyone for your input. I am now the soon to be be proud new owner of a 2013 Axis A22 Recon.

Spent a fair amount of time in an A22 this past weekend, fully loaded and not. Special thanks to Texas Malibu for arranging such a great demo. Having them install a few extra options on the boat this week and will pick her up Thursday... and then into the water Friday. And while not a direct color match like the last one, it should look pretty sweet behind my red SVT Adrenalin as well....
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-15-2013, 11:02 PM Reply   
"Danny,
I don't see how you or anyone is getting on plane with 750's in the rear of the Axis with the 335 with more than 3 people in the boat. I do have the best prop that was suggested to me from an engineer at malibu that tests the props for Axis. I just let weight out the back and call it good. Still is an amazing wake."

It's very possible. My A22 has the 335 CAT (california mandated) motor. 750's in the rear, 950 bow, 600 lbs of lead (200 bow tips and 400 rear-midship) and it got on plane easily with a few people in the boat at 1400' elevation with the OJ core prop, OJ cinco prop, Acme 1235, Acme 2419 and Acme 2315. Now I have an additional 200 lead midship (thats 800 total lead now) and had 11 people in my boat and I got up on plane no problem (19 seconds) with the Acme 2315. I know the 1235 could not do it and I know the two OJ's I tested wouldnt do it either, possibly the 2419 though.

*no wedge (if you use the wedge your results may vary)
Old     (morrisdl)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-16-2013, 5:55 AM Reply   
Just another data point - my 2010 A22 w/335 non-cat @ 800' and the 1235 prop gets on plane eventually with full pnp and wedge. I have 1100' bags that run out of physical space at ~85% and 2 people on board. That wake is beyond my ability, but I sure love the show.

Congrats on the boat! The recons are really cool. Get the 1100lb or 900lb bags if you are going to surf! You will have to do some minor reinforcement of the engine/storage divider, but its so nice not to have to mess with bags on seats. Lots more info on the "axis wakeboard boats dot com" forum.
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-16-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
I have no issues getting my a22 on plane. Wedge, PnP w/ 750s in the rear, 5+ people in the boat.

I just stick the girls in the bow, so I can look at 'em.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-16-2013, 6:53 AM Reply   
Congrats on the boat Hunter. That recon package is sweet!!!
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-16-2013, 9:13 AM Reply   
Awesome! I love that buying that boat gives back too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-16-2013, 2:33 PM Reply   
Congrats! Post up some pics!
Old     (Buzz1538)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-21-2013, 4:30 PM Reply   
Pics!
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-21-2013, 4:50 PM Reply   
Great to hear!!! You have got yourself a great boat.

Where did you buy it?