Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (tmb80)      Join Date: May 2010       05-25-2015, 4:25 PM Reply   
I've been surfing for quite a few years and have ridden everything from liquid force when we got started to phase 5, inland surfer, etc... In some recent reading I've come across posts that suggest the custom boards (doomswell, soulcraft, chaos, etc..) are only good for surf style and that any company will make a good skim style and there really isn't any difference. Is this truly the case? Am I wasting money on skims that run $600? I like supporting the smaller custom guys but don't want to spend a couple hudred extra if not worth it.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-26-2015, 8:13 AM Reply   
Custom skims are just that, custom, they can be customized to the rider or customized with graphics/colors. A good skim board is going to run at least $600 if not more. Anything with carbon fiber or carbon/kevlar will be at least that much. Carbon fiber and other high strength to weight ratio fabrics allow you to make the board lighter and stiffer than just fiberglass alone. Cheaper skim boards are pressure molded and more or less solid chunks or a matrix of cheap plastics and other materials.

Also beware of boards that completely painted. Overseas factories cover cheaply made boards with paint to make them look showroom quality, but the underlying construction is often really bad.

Not all custom skims are equal. Many custom surf-style companies really don't know how to make a good pro style skim; their skims end up being more like a surf board, thicker with weird rockers, etc. The same goes for skim companies, they make laughable surf-style board.

Nick
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-26-2015, 8:56 AM Reply   
A skim style wakesurf board made by a company that knows how to make skimboards makes a big difference.

many wakeboard and surf style companies build skim style boards with the same materials and features of surf style boards and they make lousy skims imo. They dont really ride like skimboards

Skimboards need thinner rails since having the rail in the wake is what gives the rider control. To have a thinner board the foam needs to be stiffer and stronger to make up for having less foam. That's why you will see skimboard companies use high density PVC (Divinycell). EPS foam is too soft and flexes too much when in skimboard thicknesses in my opinion.

You can find really good skim style boards under $600, just make sure it is made of PVC (dinvinycell) and isnt more that 5/8"-3/4" thick. Carbon Fiber isnt really necessary unless you are doing airs. The PVC core is stiff enough with e-glass for most riding.

Phase 5 (Zap Skimboards) and Victoria Skimboards have tons of experience building skimboards and have spent a lot of time developing excellent shapes to be ridden behind boats.

And like Nick said, you will notice that poorly made skimboards are covered in paint to hide whats going on. Higher end boards will be vacuum bagged with the color pigment to take out all the excess and make a stronger and lighter board. They will also have more of a matte finish to keep the weight down rather than have a bunch of shinny stuff and paint added afterward which just adds weight.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-26-2015, 9:05 AM Reply   
I'll add that you dont really need to get a custom board to get a good skimboard. Off the shelf is great as long as it is made right. Just make sure to get the right size for you. Custom is more about getting the colors you want.